Why all the Dislike for Chysler/Dodge/Jeep auto's

Product mix too. Chrysler consists of the 300 and Pacifica. They barely sell any 300s, so this is reflective of the Pacifica...if you believe these things.
And Jeep seems to offer some CAFE rides to sell JGC and Wranglers - where the money is.

Gone is the buzzzt-click of earlier Chrysler-made transmissions. ZF needs to bring it back for that characteristic Daimler/FCA/Stellantis sound when one pulls up towards you.

Last edited:
Chrysler products have been a mixed bag for me and my family. My wife’s 2016 Renegade 2.4 ended up being a piece of junk. Multiple problems covered under warranty, but also really dumb things like a broken hood release cable (had to wait 2 weeks to get the parts) and the cooling fan that killed itself (and then again had to wait for a while to get the parts bc they were on back order from Italy). Started burning oil, the automatic trans was terrible, random stalling episodes, I continually had to spray some bushings in the front with silicon lube or it sounded like the front chunk was going to fall out of it, and it always had some sort of rattle under load. Had multiple dealerships look at it under warranty and every single one of the techs said to “run premium in it,” and of course that did nothing. So we sold it to Carmax a few months ago at 65k miles and left it for someone else to mess with. My in laws have a 2015 Jeep GC though with the 3.6 and I don’t think they’ve had a single issue with it. My parents had an 05 Grand Caravan 3.8 and it was a great vehicle that needed nothing but fluids, brakes, tires and gas until some bonehead sideswiped it at 180k-ish. They also had a 2012 with the 3.6, and if I remember correctly, they had the entire front suspension re-done twice under warranty. It was just a terrible riding van. The dealer also replaced the tires on it twice, to no avail. Other than that, it sure liked to eat window switches and/or motors, but not really a huge deal. It didn’t live a long life, it was totaled last year at 118k if I remember correctly. Not a huge sample size, but enough for me to say they don’t make my favorite products.

My 2014 JGC has 70,000 miles and runs and drives like new. We love all the electronic gadgets. The Jeep rides really nice for looking so small but it weighs almost as much as my Ford F-150 super crew 4x4. My wife loves the Jeep and wants to buy another one when it's time to replace it. I think the Jeeps have nice styling compared to a lot of SUV's the same size. At least you can tell it's a Jeep from the front view anyway. LOL!

Chrysler products have been a mixed bag for me and my family. My wife’s 2016 Renegade 2.4 ended up being a piece of junk. Multiple problems covered under warranty, but also really dumb things like a broken hood release cable (had to wait 2 weeks to get the parts) and the cooling fan that killed itself (and then again had to wait for a while to get the parts bc they were on back order from Italy). Started burning oil, the automatic trans was terrible, random stalling episodes, I continually had to spray some bushings in the front with silicon lube or it sounded like the front chunk was going to fall out of it, and it always had some sort of rattle under load. Had multiple dealerships look at it under warranty and every single one of the techs said to “run premium in it,” and of course that did nothing. So we sold it to Carmax a few months ago at 65k miles and left it for someone else to mess with. My in laws have a 2015 Jeep GC though with the 3.6 and I don’t think they’ve had a single issue with it. My parents had an 05 Grand Caravan 3.8 and it was a great vehicle that needed nothing but fluids, brakes, tires and gas until some bonehead sideswiped it at 180k-ish. They also had a 2012 with the 3.6, and if I remember correctly, they had the entire front suspension re-done twice under warranty. It was just a terrible riding van. The dealer also replaced the tires on it twice, to no avail. Other than that, it sure liked to eat window switches and/or motors, but not really a huge deal. It didn’t live a long life, it was totaled last year at 118k if I remember correctly. Not a huge sample size, but enough for me to say they don’t make my favorite products.
This is exactly the kind of story that keeps me away - first-hand knowledge of multiple people with big issues. While I can think of many other brands where people I know had an issue, by far, Jeep is the only brand where I have first-hand knowledge of multiple people with big issues. Like it or not...fair or not...when I think of Stellantis, I think of serious PITA potential. Based on more recent survey data that has bumped Ram/Dodge up in reliability maybe it's getting better but it will still take a bit of effort to and time to get me to buy anything Stellantis.

My 2014 JGC has 70,000 miles and runs and drives like new. We love all the electronic gadgets. The Jeep rides really nice for looking so small but it weighs almost as much as my Ford F-150 super crew 4x4. My wife loves the Jeep and wants to buy another one when it's time to replace it. I think the Jeeps have nice styling compared to a lot of SUV's the same size. At least you can tell it's a Jeep from the front view anyway. LOL!
Same experience with our ‘14 JGC with about the same mileage. Might buy another one (maybe an L).

This is exactly the kind of story that keeps me away - first-hand knowledge of multiple people with big issues. While I can think of many other brands where people I know had an issue, by far, Jeep is the only brand where I have first-hand knowledge of multiple people with big issues. Like it or not...fair or not...when I think of Stellantis, I think of serious PITA potential. Based on more recent survey data that has bumped Ram/Dodge up in reliability maybe it's getting better but it will still take a bit of effort to and time to get me to buy anything Stellantis.

Actual owners have posted positive experiences in this thread, yet you're going to discount us and stick with your co-worker's neighbor's old roommate once knew someone...

Actual owners have posted positive experiences in this thread, yet you're going to discount us and stick with your co-worker's neighbor's old roommate once knew someone...
Do you often intentionally misrepresent what was said to try and make a point? Whether I own a vehicle and have problems or I speak directly to someone who is my buddy down the street/brother/employee and they own a vehicle with problems is absolutely no less valid. Nowhere did I say these anecdotes were anything more than one degree of separation from me and yet you want to pretend it's 3, 4, or 5 degrees. Why? I shared my opinion and don't want to buy a vehicle from them. That's the extent of how much I care...

Last edited:
Ok today I took the Jeep GC to the car wash and I noticed the service 4 wheel drive error message on the dash and also the yellow traction control light was lit up. I did the start restart trick as well as drove it a few times and shut it down for a restart. I also pushed and held the traction control button for several seconds to see it it would come on or off. The battery is under the passenger seat and I don't want to hook or unhook the cable. It looks like a trip will be coming up in the next couple days to the repair shop to see what the problem is. I googled the problem and it can be many different things so I will get it scanned and maybe pinpoint the problem.

JME - I drove The Critic’s Ram 1500. I was impressed by it but Mopar quality does leave more to be desired. The neighbors had Plymouth Grand Caravans, it was the only game for minivans as Ford and GM tried to break through with the Aerostar/Windstar and the DustBuster vans until the US specific Odyssey and Sienna was introduced. They sold their Mopar vans once the 7/70 power train warranty was up.

Mopar seems to be on the cutting edge of tech if they developed it - the first domestic electronically-controlled transmission (outside of Toyota/Aisin’s ECT which also found a home in Jeep), one of the first mass-market applications of multi-point fuel injection that wasn’t an Toyota or Mercedes/VW, and they pushed transverse FWD into mainstream acceptance. Their efforts with Mitsubishi, except for the K-Cars were forgettable.

They’ve done good with the Pentastar/Hemi and the ZF 8HP however. But their platforms(outside of the shared Alfa/Fiat affairs) are a little long in the tooth. How they’ve managed to keep the LX platform(especially the Charger/Challenger) current, I dunno.

Six months have gone by since the start of this thread and still no problems with either of my Jeeps, a 2008 and a 2016, imagine that. I must be one lucky guy!! ;)
Sitting in the garage since March in your winter Florida home doesn't count :ROFLMAO:

I joke I joke.

Whenever I see a broken down vehicle on the side of the road it is usually a Dodge/Chrysler. Why? You get what you pay for, unreliable.

LOL!

I predominantly see older, likely abused, Euro cars.

But, I'm on the edge of my seat wondering what you drive that's going to justify that statement.
I drive a 2005 Scion tc, 2.4 l Toyota Camry drivetrain. Pushing Over 180k miles with no problems. Had the OEM battery for 10 years as well, those Japanese Panasonic batteries last FOREVER.

I drive a 2005 Scion tc, 2.4 l Toyota Camry drivetrain. Pushing Over 180k miles with no problems. Had the OEM battery for 10 years as well, those Japanese Panasonic batteries last FOREVER.
OK, I could buy three of those, new, for the price of my Grand Cherokee.

You stated "you get what you pay for", implying that FCA products are cheap. They aren't. Sure, they make a few low priced cars, as do all the marques, but that statement doesn't make sense here.

Also, some of the most expensive cars on the road to own (Mercedes AMG's, BMW M cars, I've owned the latter) have TCO's that would probably make you vomit. Sticker price doesn't correlate with reliability, some of the cheapest cars on the road are also the most reliable and have the lowest TCO's, so again, that statement doesn't make sense.

Last car I saw broke on the side of the road today was an Audi SUV.....brand new plates on it also.

Last edited:
Back