Why all the Dislike for Chysler/Dodge/Jeep auto's

My uncle was a union boy at the New Venture Gear plant in Syracuse and holy crap they hired some absolute IDIOTS to build Chrysler's. They are just built like crap. Always have been since 80s and will be until they are out of business.

1. Preconceived biases, plain and simple.
2. Buy and drive what you like, to **** with what anyone else thinks.
3. Scotty Kilmer is a moron that is smart enough to make money by getting other morons to watch his sensational bull****.
A1FB837C-409B-4673-9A20-64B0D263AB12.jpeg

It failed again? I thought they fixed it again last Fall?

It was "fixed" 5 times before this fall too. We had a warm day and I ran the defrost and the compressor was cycling every few seconds like it does when it loses all of the refrigerant. I'm doubtful it will work this summer. If it doesn't work, the car is going to Carmax at a loss and I'm buying a cheap beater with working AC

Also one of the rear springs broke

My uncle was a union boy at the New Venture Gear plant in Syracuse and holy crap they hired some absolute IDIOTS to build Chrysler's. They are just built like crap. Always have been since 80s and will be until they are out of business.

I'm sure plenty of people's Uncle's, Brother's, and Dad's have seen idiots at every manufacturer's plants building cars. Idiots abound and they are everywhere.

That's the case for every single brand, why would you think that this would be unique to FCA (now Stellantis)? Some of the stories I've heard from folks I know personally that worked at GM Oshawa, you'd be shaking your head so much your neck hurt. The same goes for Ford Oakville and Honda Alliston. I've never spoken to someone who works or works with people at the FCA Brampton plant, but I'd fully expect it to be the same.

UPDATE: My friends are picking up their 2017 Jeep GC at this very moment (see post #54 on p.3 of this thread).
In a couple of years I'll have shards of anecdotal data to add to this discussion.
Standby for my "broad question thread" regarding what they should do to extend the life of their '17 JGC with 21K.

SERIOUSLY: I'd love to see a thoughtful list of automotive "All-Time Stinkers". Design Failures could be one subset and Attention to Detail During Construction could be another.

ALSO: Across the entire spectrum, how many people DO YOU THINK treat their vehicles well vs. pound the life out of them?

Last edited:
UPDATE: My friends are picking up their 2017 Jeep GC today (see post #54 on p.3 of this thread).
In a couple of years I'll have shards of anecdotal data to add to this discussion.
Standby for my "broad question thread" regarding what they should do to extend the life of their '17 JGC with 21K.

SERIOUSLY: I'd love to see a thoughtful list of automotive "All-Time Stinkers". Design Failures could be one subset and Attention to Detail During Construction could be another.

ALSO: Across the entire spectrum, how many people DO YOU THINK treat their vehicles well vs. pound the life out of them?
You'd have to define "well" but I suspect that the number who pound on vehicles and the number who pamper them probably follow a standard bell curve distribution, they exist, but are in small numbers at each end of the curve.

Of course, what is average treatment in the rest of the world may be called borderline abusive or neglectful on this website.

Using BITOG standards, since I don't see people checking their oil levels at every fuel stop, 90% of motorists are abusive. ;)

If a Pentastar logo'd domestic Dodge wraps a Cummins, that's my preference. Never mind these silly FCA "RAMs" with the sillier "Tribal M" logo, and I laugh at the feces eating 6.7 while we're at it.

In the same vein, as far as cars go, if a Jensen/Bristol holds a Direct Connection big block, then it's a win win.

There are a lot of fish in the sea, slim chance I will buy another MOPAR (Aside from dream of a 68 Road runner or 69 Super Bee). My experience

1) Overall, just more stuff broke, especially components I did not think should have broken:
2) PT Cruiser: engine mounts 3x (More than all the cars I've owned combined)
3) 100% 3 or 4 digit a/c failure rate
4) Some really weird failures like fog lights stuck on, steering wheel clock spring(s), wheels rusted from inside out

Ive had a few daimler vehicles and have not had any auto trans issues which i could blame on the factory.

1. 2001 grand caravan 3.3. Bought at 18k and sold at 80k. Towed a pop-up camper with it. This at the infamous it-will-fail-you 41TE trans. transmission never missed a beat, ever. It had a couple of minor issues with vacuum things and plug wires.

2. 2002 grand caravan 3.8. Bought used around 100k. poorly maintained but the body and interior was very good and the price was right. It was on blocks 3 months before we drove it. It had niggling transmission issues the whole time we had it, and it took a secret sauce of new solenoids, lucas atf thickener, and lubeguard black to get the gearshifts close to tolerable. Im pretty sure i caused complications with dirt intrusion when i did the solenoids. i can’t blame daimler for any of its issues as the previous maintenance was pretty poor.

3. 1993 grand cherokee, with the rare aisin 4spd trans. I bought it around 200k and put dexron 6 in it. I dropped the pan and found all kinds of big metal parts in it, like 1.5” round shims, split in two, in the pan - crazy. Trans never missed a beat. I have no idea if it was oem or rebuilt. Trans was in much better condition than the engine.

4. 2008 grand chero with the wa580 trans (nag1). This may have been the best auto trans ive ever owned. Its at least on par with the 5spd in my toyota tundram 2006. Sold the WK early in life, around 70k due to stalling issues which were becoming prevalent with no codes or internet (or dealer) cures. The transmission was the best part about that vehicle.

5. Honorable mention. had the pleasure of driving my in-laws gen1 LHS for a couple of years. This was an odd duck with a FWD, but longitudinally placed engine, like a subaru. They did not maintain their cars beyond just oil changes. at 100k i had new atf flushed in. At 200k it was still on the road with my brother in law, who drives everything like he stole it, every day. the engine went dry on oil and siezed one day. 5 quarts later, it soldiered on for several more years, with a lumpy idle to show for it. To my knowledge, the trans never missed a beat.

i drove a couple of the 9-speed cherokees and told my son, absolutely no freakin way, seeing how they shifted. Absolutely not. turns out, after going home and reading up on them, it was good advice.

Easy I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 v8 2wd with 83,000 miles and the entire front end needs to be rebuilt tie rods, ball joints and all including control arms due to rust
Close to $3000 if I don’t do the work, around $700 if I do the work or bring it to a local Cooter.

my 82 diesel suburban at 30 years old with 438,000 miles never needed ball joints just had to grease

This type of nickel and dime crap gives Dodge a bad name, after I do the front end it will be broken freeze plugs next or bad grounds again or a messed up voltage regulator in the ecu.

Back