Why a different change interval in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcy

Anyone have any ideas as to why Toyota recommends the Super Long Life Coolant (original factory fill) be changed at 96 months or 160000 KILOMETRES (I assume in the US as it doesn't specifically state), but only 128000 KM in Canada?

Also, once the first change is done, the interval changes to 48 months or 64000 KM.

Last edited:
I think it's the climate as well, we have extreme cold and pretty hot summers, it puts a lot of strain on the cooling system.

My owner's manual, for example, has normal and severe service schedules for maintenance, but for Canada it says to follow only severe service, normal service only applies if you live in US.

Knowing the Ministry of the Environment it could be that certain chemicals in long life anti-freeze are banned up here so they put in something close but this shortens the usable life?

Failing that I would have to say it's because of the harsher climate we have.

Originally Posted By: George7941
ORGANIC acid salts (used in LL antifreezes) and TOXIC - somehow the two words don't go together.

Isn't ethylene glycol an organic compound? As I recall, benzene is also organic.

'Cause they don't want to damage their HOSERS, eh?
LOL.gif

John

Always remember to replace your rubber hosers, eh?
08.gif

Honestly, if they ARE lumping all of Canada together, that's silly. BC weather is much milder than something like Minnesota.

An email to Toyota may be informative.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I think it's the climate as well, we have extreme cold and pretty hot summers, it puts a lot of strain on the cooling system.

My owner's manual, for example, has normal and severe service schedules for maintenance, but for Canada it says to follow only severe service, normal service only applies if you live in US.

I agree about the extreme cold in the winter... but HOT summers?

Not this summer... and not compared to Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back