Who's your favorite YT gearhead personality???

Mustie1 and South Main Auto would probably be my picks for automotive and gear head content. The content style has remained consistent and entertaining even as their channels have evolved, which I appreciate. It's hard to keep up with channels who start out with one form of content, then transition to filming all their supercars with their other supercar friends once they become successful. It just isn't relatable anymore at that point.

I think the Carwizard has some good info, but it seems every video contains a segment where he is trying to repeatedly tell us why he is a good mechanic.

Funny enough I've heard Whistlin' Diesel is actually a decent guy off camera and really smart, which is how he makes so much money. He posts controversial videos because they get far more views, kind of like the news only reporting negative things.

I think the Carwizard has some good info, but it seems every video contains a segment where he is trying to repeatedly tell us why he is a good mechanic.
Exactly. I've long felt his videos were too long, by a factor of about 2/3 or so. The fluff comes from all the extra minutes where he "schoolmarms" us.

Last edited:
Cold War Motors
Scott's work on the 1960 Plymouth is unbelievable. He also has some interesting cars come through the shop.

DD Speed Shop - A laid back Canadian who is the King of 4-door to 2-door conversions
TheZachLife - A little bit of everything, but his small oil well maintenance videos are of particular interest
ccrx 6700 That's Railroadin! - RR track maintenance
Jeff Berrier Videos - Steam locomotive use and care

Can't pick a favorite, but I like Car Wizard, Eric O, Wes, Ivan and FordTechMakuloco. Of course Hoovie fits in there, too!

Artur Tussik
Souht Main Auto
Car Wizard
Anton Malar

I like the body repair videos, it's quite interesting to see how the modern cars are designed and built. And what a difference between BMW/Mercedes and the other makes in the sophistication of the structure.

Ford Tech Makuloco is something I watch when I feel the pain of not having gone to boot camp. SMA is excellent, Wes of WWW is so subtle he's inviting you to swear out loud for him, Rainman Ray is very good but I can't watch when he doesn't slather on any antisieze for the next guy, well because in Florida nobody does, Ivan on Pine Hollow is good, but his videos are too long and he's tending to make 2-4 part videos that are educational but not as dynamic.
Car Wizard is the guy you watch when you prefer to pay for mechanical work. Hoovie is annoying, Samcrac is too weird for my tastes.

Watch JR go bankrupt is like watching a train wreck, or eating Doritos, you just can't stop yourself.

I watch Eric O, Ivan, Fordtechmakuloco, and Scannerdanner. I also watch Rainman Ray occasionally but he sometimes gets on my nerves. I also like Diagnose Dan. He is very good at explaining what he does. Advanced level Auto is also very good and he goes into depth on how he goes about his diagnosis.

Exactly. I've long felt his videos were too long, by a factor of about 2/3 or so. The fluff comes from all the extra minutes where he "schoolmarms" us.
As long as it's not Hoovie. There are a few channels I haven't watched in awhile.

I don't like the new Santa character on Auto Auction Rebuilds and I enjoyed some of his videos. If he can get back to showing showing the cars.. cool.

ETCG1 sold his shop, I was not aware he was still making videos... or ETCG.

SuperSpeedersRob is one I could just never get with. Maybe if you're a multi millionaire it's for you...

Watch Wes Work is good.

Apex Auto Detail is really good for paint stuff.

Chris Fix has some enjoyable stuff.

Rainman Ray has a really good channel, again, only sometimes do I lose interest in the middle and that's not Rainman's fault. Check that one out soon.

VinWiki had some REALLY dry guests and videos but also some great videos, same with Tavarish.

Again.. maybe more will soon enter the fray, South Main Auto is cool, that is an amazing diag capable guy. Advanced Level Auto is good too, particularly for complicated electrical problems on Nissans.......... hmmm. For those that like a detailed fix.

PHAD or Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostic is the other one like that.

These are real channels by the way. Consistent quality content. Shout-out to developing channels.

I appreciate @wtd observations that not every channel is for everybody and that's fine.. again, one of the most cringe channels I've seen is superspeedersrob if that's even a channel anymore. He was pre-YouTube days but that's like a Rob Dahm kind of channel.

Samcrac is a no for me, dawg.

I like Legit Street Cars, which I hadn't seen mentioned yet..... His helper Peter is local to me and I ran into him at a local cruise night. Nice guy!

Back