Who uses microfiber towels?

3.Microfiber towel - Nothing but a water pusher. Does not absorb anything. Why? The fibers are made of polyester PLASTIC. Once I found out what they were made from, made total sense. I've even tried the high dollar ones and never placed in the clothes dryer ect....... Still a total failure.
You have bad microfiber towels. I have relatively cheap Z-Wipes brand towels, and they absorb water like crazy.

Cheap Harbor Freight MF towels, on the other hand, behave like you say.

One trip through a hot clothes dryer can ruin the best of MF towels.

You have bad microfiber towels. I have relatively cheap Z-Wipes brand towels, and they absorb water like crazy.

Cheap Harbor Freight MF towels, on the other hand, behave like you say.

One trip through a hot clothes dryer can ruin the best of MF towels.
I bought the expensive ones to try. Water pushers one and all. They got melted in the dryer. Money down the drain. Cotton towels still going strong.

Reactions: hrv
I use them for everything except my car which gets hosed down once every year whether it needs it or not.
Another issue I see is I seem to toss micro fibers away for what ever imperfection and my cotton towel stash is still rowing the boat.

The micro fibers tend to shrink down and get thin with use. Another drawback people are not talking about. Wife uses micros to wash dishes. And yes they shrink down and get holes with use with her using them too.

I don't need a special washing machine, special soap or special temperatures to wash cotton towels in. My wife can't kill cotton towels LOL.

I've only used The Absorber until I got a big microfiber drying towel from AZ on Tuesday. They both work really well but I noticed they have very specific pros and cons.

The microfiber can dry the CX5 in one go and the huge surface area of the towel helps with wiping the water off the car but it's impossible to wring out, leaving streaks of water on the car. In contrast, I have to wring out the absorber after every body panel but I can trust that it'll dry better - and because the absorber is smaller, I can manipulate odd body angles with it easier. Absorber also dries faster with air drying; I have to figure out where I can hang the big MF towel. I will continue to use both though, to their pros and cons.

Learned a little lesson this weekend with a COSTCO microfiber towel. I went to clean a hot soldering iron with the microfiber cloth, and the cloth melted on the hot iron. Learned, as discussed in this thread, microfiber cloth is a synthetic plastic, not a "cotton" towel.

I love microfiber cloth towels, but keep away from high heat, and I suspect of they are on fire the smoke they release is significantly different than smoke from a cotton cloth towel.

This is just a troll thread, moving on...
Actually it's not. I'm just amazed on some new product of the week, be it a wax or some new bamboo towel that we all should be using. Way better than cotton or other fabric towels. All these rave reviews of plastic threaded towels you all are in love with. Plastic doesn't adsorb anything. Oh my new waffle microfiber will absorb a swimming pool in one wring out is crazy.

Take a plastic walmart bag and try to dry off you car with it. At least some water might fall into the bag LOL. Just looking for some good open banter about these micro towels. Why are they so good guys?

Used to be a chamois fan until I recently started drying the vehicle using a proper microfibre. You can literally dry the vehicle in one go without having to constantly wring the towel oitblike with chamois.
What are you driving a mountain bike? What a far out claim. You and I need to party up cowboy.

I've been washing and drying my many cars for over 60 years and have used everything from all cotton towels to chamois to The Absorber and everything in between until I stumbled upon The Rag Company Gauntlet https://theragcompany.com/collections/exterior-detailing-towels/products/the-gauntlet
Just drag, pull and wipe dry. One towel does the entire car.
Amazing from a plastic fiber towel. Please go on more.

You guys are not talking about what they are made of. Only some new brand of the week wonder towel name. Some amazing stories for sure.

I've been washing and drying my many cars for over 60 years and have used everything from all cotton towels to chamois to The Absorber and everything in between until I stumbled upon The Rag Company Gauntlet https://theragcompany.com/collections/exterior-detailing-towels/products/the-gauntlet
Just drag, pull and wipe dry. One towel does the entire car.
Thanks for that RagCompany info. Just looked at their website. They sure have a large selection to offer with some really serious looking quality stuff there too. Griot's is another site I have checked out and used for years to get some quality detailing products. Griots can be a bit too proud of their stuff when it comes to pricing as of late!

I use them all the time, for practically everything. I picked up a bundle from Sam’s Club, and it was the oversized versions and I like them a lot. Heck, they also last a long time. They’re great for washing the car because they do absorb water and soap, and they remove the water quite well for me. In relative terms, they’re kind of dirt cheap. Once in a while I will sacrifice one refinishing the deck on my trailer with linseed oil or stain.

If you’re having problems with absorption, try this stuff because it removes residue from the factory and also it’s good to use after using with cleansers, wax, etc.. Also, don’t use dryer sheets or other fabric softener’s because that make everything smear.

IMG_1707.jpeg

Last edited:
Chime in if you use and like microfiber towels.

I'm still puzzled at why they are used. You ever try to use one? Ever try to dry a car off with one? You are there a l l d a y l o n g.

My 35 year experience with drying towels is this.

1.Chamois - THE clear stand out towel for removing water.
2.Cotton towel - Good but a bit lacking compared to a real chamois. Still a solid choice if you lack a chamois. Cotton is highly absorbent compared to #3 below.
3.Microfiber towel - Nothing but a water pusher. Does not absorb anything. Why? The fibers are made of polyester PLASTIC. Once I found out what they were made from, made total sense. I've even tried the high dollar ones and never placed in the clothes dryer ect....... Still a total failure.
Try a MF drying towel with twisted loops or waffle weave. You are right about regular MF towels. Just push the water around.

I use microfiber towels for detailing cars. Good for spray on wax, used one to clean the windows. We bought an entire roll. We got the ones you just tear off then you wash them when they need to be. Still plenty left on the roll. Unfortunately they are green but it’s not like it’s an expensive item so I don’t care what color they are lol.

I use microfiber towels for detailing cars. Good for spray on wax, used one to clean the windows. We bought an entire roll. We got the ones you just tear off then you wash them when they need to be. Still plenty left on the roll. Unfortunately they are green but it’s not like it’s an expensive item so I don’t care what color they are lol.
Just picked up a roll this morning at Wally World, big rolls. :)

Chime in if you use and like microfiber towels.

I'm still puzzled at why they are used. You ever try to use one? Ever try to dry a car off with one? You are there a l l d a y l o n g.

My 35 year experience with drying towels is this.

1.Chamois - THE clear stand out towel for removing water.
2.Cotton towel - Good but a bit lacking compared to a real chamois. Still a solid choice if you lack a chamois. Cotton is highly absorbent compared to #3 below.
Go pick up a couple of these from Harbor Freight. They will change your mind about drying with microfiber:

I bought the expensive ones to try. Water pushers one and all. They got melted in the dryer. Money down the drain. Cotton towels still going strong.
LMAO - if this isn't a troll post, that's your problem right there. Air dry or low dryer heat only; of course if you melt the **** fibers, it will harden and not absorb as well anymore.

Cheaper MF towels perform differently than more premium options, but the care and treatment of the towels are the same:
  1. Try not to let sealants/ceramics/etc. dry on the towels or will be much harder to remove.
  2. Machine wash (HOT)
    1. Dedicated MF / Polishing Pad detergent should be used (e.g. Griot's MF and Pad Cleaner, P&S Rags to Riches)
    2. Normal laundry detergent can be used but should be a "Free" type (no scents, dyes, or allergens)
    3. No Fabric Softeners
      1. Scents/Dyes/Waxes will clog the fibers of the cloth, decreasing their "like new" performance and will absorb noticeably less than before
  3. Air Dry or Machine dry using air tumble or low heat
    1. Plastic fibers that are now melted, will not absorb as much as they did before, who knew?

Back