Thank you Garry Dean; BITOG

Thank you BITOG.

After almost exactly 10 years, I can report that the “Garry Dean” rinseless car wash method I learned here has been a howling success.

(concentrated rinseless car wash in spray bottle followed by use of multiple sopping wet microfiber towels, followed by wrung out mf towel, and then dry towel)

The finish looks as good as you could possibly hope a 10 yr. old daily driver to look. Not a show car, exactly. Much more than merely presentable. Kind of anachronistic. You can tell from the body design that it’s not quite new, but you can’t guess from the finish how old it is.

Other than five or six applications of All In One, it’s never been touched with an abrasive.

Fairly durable spray waxes became widely available after a couple of years and that expensive Flex buffer machine I bought gathers dust.

Notes: I’m careful to rinse the car off with plain water first if there is more than road film on the car. I’m a believer in keeping the undercarriage rinsed off so I try to take care of that at the same time. I go to the coin op.

Notes on materials:

El cheapo mf towels bought by the bag at Wal-Mart. 20 or so. Quantity beats quality.

Optimum No-Rinse car wash. There are others. They worked just as well.

Optimum spray wax. Doesn’t seem to be marketed as an especially durable (3 or more months) spray wax, but it is, at least in my relatively cool climate. About as shiny as the next wax. The only problem I’ve had is in reapplying too soon.

Garry Dean was the detailer who promoted the method at the time. His name may have dropped away from association with it since.

I’ve never been quite sure what spray detailer is. I suspect it is just way overpriced detergent.

It’s all a matter of inputs vs. outputs. Yes, you can exclusively wash your car at the coin op. It’s much better than not washing the car.

I get about 90% (or more) of the results of a car detail hobbyist with less than 10% of the labor input. Probably more, if you take into account the long term wear on the finish if you consider their use of abrasives.

The Garry Dean method is a lot less time consuming (and water consuming) than it sounds. I would say it’s pretty average for a backyard wash. Exclusive use of a more durable spray wax every 3-4 months means that that laborious part is now negligible.

The cost of materials is reasonable.

I guess that Garry Dean guy does (or did).

Plenty of people use rinseless washes in a more conventional way. I think this way is a bit more conservative (and guaranteed to leave a spot-free finish.)

My municipality frowns on using a running hose in the driveway. I don’t particularly care to have that crud on my yard either.

Otherwise you can take care of the grunt stuff you described and an undercarriage rinse in a conventional way with a hose and a nozzle. It’s not mutually exclusive.

I guess that Garry Dean guy does (or did).

Plenty of people use rinseless washes in a more conventional way. I think this way is a bit more conservative (and guaranteed to leave a spot-free finish.)

My municipality frowns on using a running hose in the driveway. I don’t particularly care to have that crud on my yard either.

Otherwise you can take care of the grunt stuff you described and an undercarriage rinse in a conventional way with a hose and a nozzle. It’s not mutually exclusive.

P.S. Sadly, I’ve found nothing comparable for the interior of the car. It looks every bit of 10 years old.

Back