Who remembers Green GC 0w-30?

Made in Germany stayed when they went to regular color. I guess green was that specific additive Ketjenlube (or something). I think there was a Made in US version, but died fairly fast.
Thanks for the confirmation, I remember having to check date codes to determine if I stumbled upon the good stuff. I think the switch to Belgian Castrol 0w-30 occurred quite a few years after green went away.

The made in USA stuff was produced before green was introduced. It had date codes of 2000-ish and late 90's IIRC. I remember finding plenty of it still on the shelf at random locations in 2005-ish, meaning they were still stocking 5+ year old oil. 0w-30 was a rare bird in those days and most people didn't know what to make of it, so I imagine there were very few buyers aside from BITOG-type folks.

Thanks for the confirmation, I remember having to check date codes to determine if I stumbled upon the good stuff. I think the switch to Belgian Castrol 0w-30 occurred quite a few years after green went away.

The made in USA stuff was produced before green was introduced. It had date codes of 2000-ish and late 90's IIRC. I remember finding plenty of it still on the shelf at random locations in 2005-ish, meaning they were still stocking 5+ year old oil. 0w-30 was a rare bird in those days and most people didn't know what to make of it, so I imagine there were very few buyers aside from BITOG-type folks.
I saw Made in US stuff in 2009-2010.
I wasn’t aware Made in US was first. I moved to US in 2005, so not aware of that. I think Made in Belgium happened when Castrol push hard 0W40, when 0W40 production moved to Germany.

I fell to the GC hysteria back then, doing the Autozone buy where after five (?) purchases of $20 you got a reward making the sixth purchase free or something. I cleared out nearly every Autozone in the Milwaukee area doing that and I used it in my BMW and Sienna.

The PCV valve in the Sienna seemed to clog up faster than with other brands though so most of the stuff went into the BMW. Those were the days :)

Any oil that meets VW 508/509 spec that I have used has a green dye. I believe the spec requires it. Some say it's blue, but it looks green to me.
The dye that is added is blue but when combined with the yellow-ish colour of the oil it comes out a sort of green. The end result depends on what base oils and additives are in the oil.

The dye that is added is blue but when combined with the yellow-ish colour of the oil it comes out a sort of green. The end result depends on what base oils and additives are in the oil.
What color do they use for blue oil then? Valvoline Racing Synthetic is one example…

Like a previous post said I raided all the AutoZone & Advance stores back then and still have a ton of it. Like many other things that I horded I don't use it because I'm not sure of what it still ok to use in. 2 of my Audi's need 505, the TDI needs 507, my sons MB Sprinter needs 229.52. I guess it's ok in my '02 Sierra Denali but I have plenty of higher visc. high mileage oil for that. Years ago when I asked if it was ok in my generator they said it would be a gourmet treat for it. The "0" (and it's age) scares my kids (and me) who have cars that take 5-30. I'll use it somehow/somewhere.

GC, AutoRx, and some type of gasoline additive(l forgot the name) were all the rage back then.
The discussions used to get very heated and provided daily entertainment.

the green shrek oil existed in the same time shrek was also all the rage. shrek mustand and peanut butter and other things. i miss the green colored era.

Like a previous post said I raided all the AutoZone & Advance stores back then and still have a ton of it. Like many other things that I horded I don't use it because I'm not sure of what it still ok to use in. 2 of my Audi's need 505, the TDI needs 507, my sons MB Sprinter needs 229.52. I guess it's ok in my '02 Sierra Denali but I have plenty of higher visc. high mileage oil for that. Years ago when I asked if it was ok in my generator they said it would be a gourmet treat for it. The "0" (and it's age) scares my kids (and me) who have cars that take 5-30. I'll use it somehow/somewhere.
? They are both 30-grade oils and I'll bet the GC is thicker (and has a higher HT/HS) than most any 5W-30 you may have.

People need to learn what the winter rating means, and just as importantly what it does not mean.

? They are both 30-grade oils and I'll bet the GC is thicker (and has a higher HT/HS) than most any 5W-30 you may have.

People need to learn what the winter rating means, and just as importantly what it does not mean.
I was just about to say this...GC even if old is probably a superior oil than most you'd find today in it's range.

Back