Who remembers Green GC 0w-30?

I remember when first discovering/joining BITOG that GC 0W30 was among the "Darling" oils of the forum. I did score some on closeout from AutoZone back in, IIRC, ~ 2004 for a $1/qt.

Someone mention Belgium Castrol? As seen at the local Walmart.

85D63C82-9BB1-44A2-9DF2-727538B689C3.jpeg
90383C44-1A6C-4B70-A61C-9AAA5C9BCCE1.jpeg

Last edited:
So what is the skinny on this Belgium made 0w-30? I use the Castrol 0w-40 made in Belgium in our Jetta and people seem to really like it…

It was discussed in every other thread and was the standard other oils had to meet. LOL

I had some, but it was tough to find, which was fine as I was caught up with messing with SAE30 after the Delo 400 SAE30 $.99/gallon clearance.

Didn’t you guys hear? Green Castrol is back with the Castrol Edge Professional LL IV VW 508 spec 0W20.

All your green oil needs. :cool:

So exactly what shade of green was it? (ha-ha, but serious)
It was like looking through an empty bottle of Jagermeister, or pick your favorite thick green glass bottle. Literally green in color with a slightly cloudy/thick appearance.

I was an Autozone GC stalker back in the day. Still have a quart of the Green enshrined in a mason jar so I can just look at it. Still have a few quarts of the Gold formula they went to that was left over from my stash when AZ put it on clearance and I bought two cases. People wondered about the color change but I can confirm the Gold was a superb oil. My car had 200,000 miles on it and I did a change with the Gold. It had been burning a quart about every 3000 miles or so. I kept adding a make-up quart to keep the level full. That oil change had 23,000 miles on it and the engine ran perfectly and the oil didn't look too bad. Then a crackhead rear ended it while it was parked. She knocked it into my neighbor's yard. Car was totalled. But the engine was still good.

Ah yes, the great green elixir. I don't know what I liked better, reading Pscolte extol the virtues of the elfin magic or the performance of all those Ketjenlube polymeric oligomers. My 01 330i N54 absolutely loved the stuff and showed awesome UOAs with it. Used it in my early VW EA888s (GTI, GLI, Tiguan) until the stash went dry around 2017. I had over 500 bottles at the high point, but never warmed up to the Gold. I now use the GC 0W-40 in my Dubs except the new Buddie engined Tig.

Those WERE the days, of both oils and BITOG. I was member #113 when they assigned numbers. Terry Dyson turned me onto the Green, I think he was #7. *Sigh*

Edit: actually found an old high count of the stash-397 bottles.

I remember its BITOG popularity dropped fast when it changed to the US-sourced Gold oil and lost its German green colour.
It didn't change to US-sourced, it went from 0w-30 German made to 0w-30 Belgian. Pretty sure they were largely the same thing, at least it appeared that way in VOAs; in fact the Belgian 0w-30 available today still carries an API SL rating and all the same certs.

US sourced was always available, even before the GC era, it had the yellow border around the grade and clearly stated made in the US-- it was always the one to avoid when everyone was searching out the green German made stuff.

I still have some of the GC 'green' and 'gold' 0w30....both made in Germany and both SL rated. I don't have enough of either for an OCI in in the 2013 Toureg V6 in the family...I'm wondering if they can be mixed?

I ran the original Green GC for a few intervals in my Forester, then ran the Gold up until around 75-80k miles. By that time, Castrol 0W-40 was showing up in Wal Mart and I was getting tired of driving all over Central NJ looking for GC. 😂

I seem to recall that pscholte showed up again around two years ago and had just finished his stash.

Remember when the title of this forum was the GC forum? Some people were up in arms about it (the non-believers) so they renamed it.

Redline 0w30 with a dash of RL 5w30 would get you to the 3.5 hths hump. Definitely Castrol had a good product in this and for a time the M1 0w30 wasn't too bad for an A5 B5 oil with a great pour point. Not so much now. Thanks for sharing the good old days. Gonna break out the Sega GameMaster or Atari 2600 next??

Back