Who really enjoys driving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like the competition/ traffic aspect. Though I'd rather be cut off by someone who knows what they're doing than be anywhere near someone not paying attention due to a cellphone.

Not only do I live in the sticks, my work shift starts before 5 am so I can beat all the yahoos.

Snow driving is fun; the road crews just hit the road at 4 and leave huge plow furrows in random places as they clear intersections.

I always enjoyed driving in the snow. Seems so peaceful. I liked the change in pace. Not when I was stuck behind tandem plows moving at like 15mph, certainly not while in traffic.

As for being cut off by someone who knows what they are doing... Yeah, I don't mind that either, I know what you mean.

I love driving and love my little Saturn they don't seem like much and certiantly aren't a power house but it handles like a dream plus its a 5 speed(I think this makes a huge difference in the fun of driving especially on lower HP cars) I love flying down curvy roads double clutch down shifting mmm.. Lately its developed a vibration at 70 that seems to come and go so I've been hating that though

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Absolutely. Every minute technical detail... like slowing from 50 to 25 a good distance behind a car that's turning, and having that car turn just in time that I don't have to decellerate further and can just nail it and resume speed. Same with timing traffic lights in my favor. Missing potholes gracefully. Entering a roundabout (not rotary) way over speed and cutting the apexes for an exit on the next right.

+2 exactly.

I love driving and will often take detours just to make the drive a little longer
smile.gif

This guy loves a good drive. Especially with no one next to me to annoy me. My typical work days consist of anywhere from 250-400 miles on a shift. I drove about ~68k miles last year in the work cars not including the mileage I racked up in my personal car.

Last edited:
I love driving, just not in my home town of Houston. Crowded freeways (and now toll roads) that are loaded with trash both on and off the highway have a way of detracting from the experience. Here we have an overwhelming abundance of semi - concrete - container trucks and with them comes flying debris. Houston is ALWAYS under construction!

How bad is it? Every time I buy a new car I automatically put in an order to Doctor Colorchip so I can stay ahead of the game. My 5 month old 7500 mile Mazdaspeed 3 has already been doctored twice since new.

Now, at my cottage in Arizona, the driving is a blast - very good roads that have terrain changes (I'm in the mountains), thin traffic and very clean country side to look at. Love driving there.

Love driving. Hate traffic, so that can get tiring, but in the right car, even traffic with an MT is a breeze.

I prefer the road trip, so if we have time, we drive vs fly.

I think the big discriminator is that I have a 9 mile, 15 minute commute without traffic, so spending time in the car isn't something that my brain necessarily associates with hassle.

Back in England when I was 20 ish I loved it. I was making good money, never cared about having to fill the petrol tank so i hammered that 2.0 16V (very different "engine" culture in England) engine EVERY day! I would enjoy being over 100mph where I could and loved the winding country roads in the North East where I lived & worked. I'd smoke the upgraded brakes often, ate tires and had a lot of close calls. Did a lot of stuff that I dont do now!

Now, such a contrast. South FL. 98% of drivers are selfish, dont do much to help each other and truthfully, stop lights are a dumb way to control traffic, roundabouts would make it so much easier, ther'd be far less complete stops... I95 is terrible, again, no discipline/consideration.

Thankfully, because of my work, I dont have to drive in rush hour, when I do, I dont like it at all....my 5MT is great but not in crawling traffic.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I love driving and will often take detours just to make the drive a little longer
smile.gif

If I had your car, I'd do the same, im gonna have me an E46 M3 someday soon, or maybe one like yours, I love 'em.

Thanks for the kind words.
I have been fortunate that I have been able to make a successful living, even if I have had to do it in a more difficult way in order to make career mesh with family obligations.
However, I am looking forward to spending more time playing in the Mustang, and less time commuting in the Accord.

Wouldn't have a WS6 with T-tops or a supercharged car if I didn't want to hear the pipes sing or blower whine when I drive. I love to drive.

When I am rowing the gears of vehicle with some decent power like my wife's Legacy turbo yes and taking some corners.

Driving an automatic nope..

The only time I've really hated driving was when I worked in downtown Toronto and spent so much time idling in heavy traffic on the 401. Now that I live in Oakville and work in Burlington (both suburbs of Toronto) it's a lot easier, especially since I'm going against the flow of traffic on my trip to and from work. So stop and go traffic is a rare thing for me now.

I most enjoy driving when I'm behind the wheel of my Corvette, so that's the car I'm driving when the roads are dry and I'm not going somewhere with my kids. But even when I'm driving the Honda I still enjoy driving. I actually have "fun" driving that car gently and trying to maximize MPG (which I'm monitoring with a Scangauge)

I drive 1,200-2,000 miles per month for my job, and I'm extremely blessed to have the MS3 to serve as my DD- although I take the '02 or Wrangler sometimes for a change of pace. I know I wouldn't enjoy the driving much-if at all-if I didn't have an entertaining car to use.

I love driving, particularly on summer nights. The window down on a back road with the crickets chirping, the smooth deep hum of the inline-six, and the whine of the A/T tires on the pavement. These nights I drive with the radio off, since I don't even need it. I might even take the long way home.

The drive to work is a different story. Bad drivers or people who never give themselves enough time to get to work ruin the experience.

I take the bus to get to and from work so I only drive on the weekends. Driving in the city is not so fun plus parking is somewhat difficult the city. I usually go out of the city when I drive with a nice mix of city/freeway driving. In a way I do like driving and given I only drive once or twice it feels like a different experience everytime.

I love driving. I am 50 years old and have been a truck driver since I was 18. I have a few million miles under my belt and still love road trips on my weekends. I have owned 40 vehicles and quite a few motorcycles as I get tired of them quickly. I few I miss though. I put 160 miles on my Ranger without even trying just since yesterday afternoon. I do burn some fuel That's for sure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back