Who Makes What Filter? - One more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys, new here.

it appears that Wix is making some of ACDelco`s filters now. i was at Oreilley auto parts the other day, and was comparing the ACDelco PF52 to the Wix 51036... other than the paint and decal, they appear to be identical in every visible way.

i have noticed about 3 or 4 distinctly different designs of the PF52, often it seems to depend on which parts store you get it from.

then there are the "red decal" filters that come on new vehicles. all the other Dellco filters i have seen have blue decals.
so how many makers are there for ACDelco oil filters?

right. so ACDelco makes their own, as well as Champion labs, and now, WIX make filters for them too?

Anyone ever asked their local Oreilley's employee? Who makes their MicroGuard Oil Filter?

I've use them for the last 3 filter changes, seems and feels like a very heavy well made filter.

The employee I asked, just looked at me with the deer in the headlight stare. "Ah- Ah I've never had that question before". Of course the Mgr was out and none of the other 2 employees had a clue.

The box really doesn't give any hidden clue either.

I would much rather buy my automotive products from a company that will try to keep in stock what the customer wants, rather then what the store mgr or corporate golfers wants to sell too make the most profit for themselves and the company. Which making profits is what it's all about... But without repeat customers, u won't have profits.

[ April 13, 2006, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: -SyN- ]

"Anyone ever asked their local Oreilley's employee? Who makes their MicroGuard Oil Filter?"
=========================================================

If you cut it open and see a cardboard endcap, I might venture a guess.

I also ask the clerk at O'reilly who made the Micro-Gard today while getting a filter for my son's civic. I got the cow lookin' at a new gate stare.
smile.gif

So I read the filter box:
Distributed by Ozark Automotive, Springfeild, Mo
Manufactured by Purolator Products Co

Thanks Springnr:
I didn't know that Ozark was affiliated with Purolator.

I guess the Micro-guard is a not so bad choice then if im in a bind and in a hurry.

quote:

Originally posted by TurboLuver:
Who makes oil filters for John Deere? They say made in canada on the box and canister...

In examining a John Deere oil filter for my grandfathers tractor it appears to be a fram.
It has that very thin base plate and the threaded hole also has metal slivers that were not cleaned up because fram has ZERO Quality Control.
It is pretty obvious that it is fram, however this is just my opinion. I do also believe that I have read this somewhere.

Thought i'd put this in here and you can then determine which brands or parts of product lines of other brands Champion Labs does manufacture spin on oil filters for.

All you need to do is look at the threaded baseplate. If Champ makes that filter, there is a "letter code" stamped into the metal baseplate. This is part of the quality control procedures to determine the correct threads for the application. So the same letter code in different size filters at least means the filter should spin on. There are other factors such as gasket orientation and clearances. Not to mention multiple variations in the media used brand to brand, part number to part numer..to meet or exceed OEM specs.

So look for this:

AA = 3/4"-16 Mostly Ford and some Chrysler.

D = 3/4"-16 for high pressure applications. (Brands such as Mobil 1 and K & N use this.)

ZZ = 22 mm Ford modular engines and some new GM engines.

G and/or I = 13/16"-16

X ( which is an older code) or TT = 18mm

Y = 20mm

These will cover most of all the popular automotive oil filter part numbers.

There are over 30 different codes.

If you also see a number with the letter, that just means the actual Die set number. So you might see 1-6. Dies are rotated and maintained in-house as part of QC.

Note: The E-core filters with the new flat plate hide the letter code below on the baseplate. If you look hard enough you might still spot the code through the inlet holes below. But if it's an E-core style you know it was Champ built anyway..
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TurboLuver:
Who makes oil filters for John Deere? They say made in canada on the box and canister...

They are made by fram. I use a wix on my John Deere 650

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
Clarcor makes Baldwin, Hastings, Amsoil, Casite.

Add SuperFlo to your ArvinMeritor (Purolator) line.

Add Warner and Luberfiner to the Champ Labs line.

Ken

I wouldn't say that this is entirely true. Baldwin is a Clarcor company, and states that at the Baldwin website. However, I've been to their plant at Kearney. They make their own filters there. They are a part of Clarcor, but Clarcor does not make their filter for them. Baldwin are tough filters, and they make over 4800 various filters for applications.
They are part of the Clarcor group, and you can see this at their website. PLEASE also note at the bottom their disclaimer about using Baldwin filters while a vehicle or machine is under warranty. They understand the Moss-Magnuson Warranty Act, and state that it is illegal to be denied warrant just because you are using a Baldwin filter over the OEM. Good thread.. Good reading!!
grin.gif

Baldwin Statement -> http://www.baldwinfilter.com/inside/history.html

wink.gif

Sidenote too, to TurboLuver: My cousin farms in Western Nebraska, and has competed several years in tractor pulling, and won Nationals a few times. He uses Baldwin filters exclusively on his trucks, semi-tractor, vehilces, and on his many tractors (that take them). His second choice is WIX, who he claims is about an even toss up for quality. His words! I know WIX is one of the best in the field, and from what I've seen of Baldwin, they are certainly excellent quality as well.

I'll give you 2 links to study. Study the buildings in each link. Hasting's Filter Headquarters is at the bottom page of their link. Baldwin's Headquarters is near the top of the page at the Baldwin link. Interesting
wink.gif
. It appears that Clark Manfufacturing changed their name to CLARCO... CLARk COmpany some years ago and have a major venture in the diesel locomotive field as well as Marine. Baldwin is located in Kearney at the exact same address as Hastings Filter. Notice the missing wording on one building compared to the other
rolleyes.gif
.. BTW Cabelas is just down the road to the west of them.. been there.
grin.gif

http://www.baldwinfilter.com/inside/man.html BALDWIN

http://www.hastingsfilter.com/inside/start.html HASTINGS

Along those lines and no surprise....
=======================
hastingsfilter.com

Registrant:
CLC HOSTMASTER ([email protected])
CLARCOR INC
840 CRESCENT CENTRE DRIVE SUITE 600
FRANKLIN, TN 37067
US
615-771-3100

Domain Name: hastingsfilter.com

=====================================
baldwinfilter.com

Registrant:
CLC HOSTMASTER ([email protected])
CLARCOR INC
840 CRESCENT CENTRE DRIVE SUITE 600
FRANKLIN, TN 37067
US
615-771-3100

Domain Name: baldwinfilter.com

Nebraskan..

Baldwin Filters was owned by J A Baldwin. He used to buy a new Jag every year and run it out on the Kearney airport runways.

I also have been to Kearney..
tongue.gif
...As Baldwin was my acccount for 3 years.

JA did sell Baldwin and they are now under the Corporate umbrella of CLARCOR. Which owns other filter companies primarily in dust collection and other fields.

However, Hastings orginaly started in Hastings michigan ( and not Hastings Nebraska). That is where the plant is.

It is true due to conglomoration and best use of plant equipment some Hastings part numbers are built in Kearney.

CLARCOR merged the two Companies, Baldwin and Hastings, to one corporate location to be run by one management. So some Hastings types moved to Kearney.

Unless CLARCOR has closed the plant in Hastings Michigan...then not all Hastings part numbers are made in Kearney.

Clarcor has also bought American Air Filter, Guardian Filter ( again one of my ex accounts), Dahl Filtration ( Well JA bought that one first...), Koch Filtration....to name a few..

quote:

Originally posted by Nebraskan:
Was it asked earlier and I missed it? Who makes Amsoil filter for them? Does Amsoil manufacture filters, or are they special proprietary made by another company?

I would think that there would not be enough throughput to justify a manufacturing facility just for Amsoil filters. They're surely manufactured to their spec's by someone else. It was probably Hastings before ..it may be Wix now
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back