Who Makes What Filter? - One more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I vote please make this a "sticky"
patriot.gif

Filtech is a term shared by many companies. Filtech Inc. has 17 employees. It naturally deals with filters ..but isn't what we're looking for.

Filtech is also the name of a Bosch media ..but that would be a stretch.

But this looks like the winner Filtech USA

quote:

Originally posted by 82DMC12:
what about Purflux? where do they fit in? they seem to make some top-quality filters.

3 years ago, I was finding Purflux cartidge elements, PF 1122G, in AC, Hastings, and Fram boxes. I don't think any of them are selling them now.

I am buying Purolator L 15436 for $4 or less.

Fram (Honeywell) makes some Honda OE filters. So does Filtech. Filtech is a US division of Toyo Roki in Japan. Toyo Roki also makes the Subaru WRX and STi (turbos) filters.

I bought a toy oil filter for Honda (might be good for a lawnmower). It had the Dana (WIX) logo on the inside flange but with no name in the center. This is the 15400-PLM-A01 (always in bypass mode?) filter.

Where did you buy it from?? Lots of people make Honda filters ..but allegedly only Fram and Filtech make OEM Honda filters.

How does one pick out a champ labs filter?

I bought a Mobil1 M1-208 today and noticed that it has AA stamped on the bottom plate...do they all have that?

quote:

Originally posted by PulMax:

I bought a Mobil1 M1-208 today and noticed that it has AA stamped on the bottom plate...do they all have that?

No, the ST 3950 I have has a Y stamped on it. One of the surest ways is look inside. As far as I know, the new Champ Ecore is the only spin on using the black plastic cage inside, in place of the perforated metal tube. Champ is still building some filters with the metal tube, including my ST 3950.

Black plastic cage = Champ

Perforated metal tube = maybe, maybe not.

Opinion:

any paper pleated oil filter will do as long as you change oil frequently (< 5000 mi) and the filter with it. There is a great deal o f economic consumer confusion in 'branding'. Buy cheap. on sale several at a time.

I use a larger filter than specified. I live in the desert southwest temps in the 110 range. A little extra oil and a larger filter means a slightly lower oil temperature. If i lived in cold country i would probably not do this.

quote:

Originally posted by PulMax:

The AA is a thread code for the backplate assembly. In your case it means 3/4-16 thread.

Labman's "Y" is a different thread.

Champ uses this to distinguish all the US and Metric thread variations. Any 3" backplate looks the same. So they code them , so as not to screw up on the production line.

That's one of the simplest ways of knowing if Champ built the filter. Check to see if there is a letter stamp. Some other filter companies use this in some of their filter part numbers but not all. Once you start looking for it, it is easy to figure out if it is a Champ one or not.

The AA is a thread code for the backplate assembly. In your case it means 3/4-16 thread.

Yep, the ST3614 ecore has AA stamped on the plate ..3/4-16.

Wix now makes the Freightliner aftermarket filters, "ALLIANCE" brand (those bright yellow things you see hanging under the cabs) as well as some of the Chrysler aftermarket filters found at the dealerships. These are made to customer specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back