who makes toyota oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC, the old 'Made in the USA' oil filters were manufactured by Purolator. But, now I think they are made outside of the USA by Denso.

The asian made filters are Denso and Nippon. They come with plastic on the bottom and the o-ring gasket is pre-greased. The USA made filters are anyones guess but have no plastic cover and a squared gasket like all other US filters.

I'm looking at the filter for my truck now, 2004 Tacoma 3.4l V6. Part # 90015-YZZD1. It is black and says Denso on the can. It also says made in Thailand.

quote:

Originally posted by Superglide:
The USA made filters are anyones guess but have no plastic cover and a squared gasket like all other US filters.

Some may be as you say, but my red boxed Toyota OEM 08922-02011 filters, Made in USA, have a "round" gasket.

Toyota OEM oil filters
x = can stand for different numbers

08922-02011
Made in USA, supposedly by Purolator.

90915-2000x and 90915-YZZBx
Made in Japan by Denso. The 90915-2000x are considered the best OEM filters, and have a unique filter element. The 90915-YZZBx are a less expensive version (less pleats in the media, no bypass valve).

90915-YZZDx
Made in Thailand by Denso. Newer oil filters that have replaced the Japanese-made filters as the default imported Toyota oil filter. Standard design with paper filter. Unimpressive quality compared to the Japanese-made filters. But, of course, cheaper.

The only way to get the Japanese-made 90915-2000x filters these days are:
1. On a new Toyota/Lexus car built in Japan
2. Leftover stock at Toyota/Lexus dealerships
3. A Toyota parts supplier who orders them

quote:

kreativ:
Toyota OEM oil filters

..... 90915-2000x and 90915-YZZBx
Made in Japan by Denso. The 90915-2000x are considered the best OEM filters, and have a unique filter element. .....

Here's what the inside of a 90915-20004 looks like:

http://mkiv.com/techarticles/parts/toyota_filter/

The inside of the smaller 90915-10003 for 4-cylinder engines look the same.

I had seen some UOAs on Toyotas using this spongy looking filter media and found a case of them for my wife's car.

Nippondenso is Toyota's primary parts supplier. It was started by Toyota Motor Co., Ltd., but spun off in '49. They're making filters in several countries, including some in the U.S..

The one on the right in those photo's is made by Purolator. It is their standard filter, not PureOne.

Champion Labs also makes some Toyota filters. They have the contract for the truck plant in Indiana.

Made in Japan by Denso. The 90915-2000x are considered the best OEM filters, and have a unique filter element. The 90915-YZZBx are a less expensive version (less pleats in the media, no bypass valve).
Anybody know where I can find these filters??
dunno.gif

I'm going to the Toyota dealer to get a 90915-YZZA2 filter for my '96 4-banger Camry. I'll have to see what I get in the box.

I'm pretty sure the YZZA2 is a good quality filter...it is very commonly used by guys with '92-'94 VE-powered Nissan Maximas ever since Nissan cancelled the 60U00 filter for that engine and the 300ZX. This is a bigger motor than the 4s that Toyota intended this filter for, but it works fantastically on the Nissans.

quote:

Originally posted by Chimay:
Who makes the TRD USA filter?
cheers.gif

I have read, but can't confirm, that the TRD filter is the same as the quality 90915-2000x filters except in a red canister. The TRD filters are typically so exorbitantly priced that I haven't looked much into them. Are there both USA-made and Japanese-made TRD oil filters?

Yes TRD USA come in a white canister with red TRD logo and say's made in the USA. Someone on this site said Wix may be the one which makes TRD USA. I have been useing TRD USA in my 4Runner the last two oil changes. expensive yes I bought them with a 20% discount and still paid about $12.00. I may just go to Wix.
cheers.gif

while on the subject of who makes what, who makes Nissan filters?

I thought they were made by Tennex and Mahle (read something a while back about this) but I'm not sure.

This 90915-YZZA2 filter was made in teh USA, so I'm assuming its a Purolator. Seems like a nice piece.

I've been working with this information along with my buddy at the Toyota dealership and have a bit of new information that may help those of us with a desire to understand these things.

quote:

Originally posted by kreativ:
Toyota OEM oil filters

08922-02011
Made in USA, supposedly by Purolator.

90915-YZZDx
Made in Thailand by Denso. Newer oil filters that have replaced the Japanese-made filters as the default imported Toyota oil filter. Standard design with paper filter. Unimpressive quality compared to the Japanese-made filters. But, of course, cheaper.

The only way to get the Japanese-made 90915-2000x filters these days are:
1. On a new Toyota/Lexus car built in Japan
2. Leftover stock at Toyota/Lexus dealerships
3. A Toyota parts supplier who orders them

This is what he found:

Our '96 Camry, '00 Tacoma and the '95 PU all use the same filter. The referenced prefered item is 08922-02011 (90915-YZZG1). He had some trouble ordering this item as it wasn't something that was "Normal" and his boss had to execute the order and even then the quantities were restricted. This last bit seems ridiculous as there were 10K available locally... go figure.

For my little '03 Echo the top filter is 90915-10003 (90915-YZZF2). It seems that Steve may have coppied somthing a bit crooked.

Both of these filter come with the exposed end sealed with a plastic wrap, silicone "O"ring seals and silicone ADB valves and the seals are pre-coated with what I "think" is a silicone grease on the "O"ring. They are both marked as "Made in Japan".

The Echo filter is marked DENSO 115010-5031.

The larger filter is marked DENSO 115010-5011.

I have yet to run either or get a UOA of course, but I will in time and report the results here if anyone is interested.

In any case I hope that this might help ya'll if you were considering this option. John
cheers.gif

Denso and Purolator had a joint operation factory in Tennessee called Purodenso. Purolator sold their interest to another Japanese parts maker several years ago.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back