Who Makes Ford Genunie Rotors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOD

It's time to do the brakes on my Freestyle. I would wait, but I don't want to do it in the "winter" (read: rain) and my project car is sitting in the garage... So, I'm going to bite the bullet. The front rotors have 130K on them and they actually look pretty good. If I could be guaranteed that the Ford rotors were the same ones, I'd get them--but who knows? The rear rotors were stamped "Bosch" and "hecho en Germany", I honestly can't remember on the fronts.

Anyone know the country of origin on the Ford Genuine rotors? I'm between these, which my local dealer has for $65.00 a pop, and the higher-end Centrics for $55.00 a piece. Price isn't a huge issue, but there's limited availability for Freestyle rotors. Interestingly, my dealer has the Motorcraft rotors for MORE than the Ford OE's. I thought the Motorcraft rotors were just white-box rotors?

Anyone have any experience with the Centric rotors?

I have always used non OEM brake parts , though in the UK we have companies that import lots of parts from the makers of OEM products and other quality components.

Pagid are good quality and cheaper than the likes of Mintex or EBC, if it is a more performance orientated car intend to go for Tarox or similar.

I don't know who makes Ford OEM brakes and due to the price I would spend the same on uprated parts or save money on quality third party stuff.

I avoid eBay when buying brakes though too much risk of getting some Chinese knock offs

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
The vendor depends on the model. I have seen Brembo, Varga, PBR, Bendix, Bosch. All depends. On your Freestyle the rears were Bosch.

thanks BD. Any idea on the front Freestyle rotors? The part # I'm getting is #1125 for the suffix on the exploded Ford diagram. Is is a fair bet that the Ford Genunine are the same ones spec'd OEM? If that's the case, I'd be pretty comfortable going with them given how the originals held up.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
Pagid are good quality and cheaper than the likes of Mintex or EBC, if it is a more performance orientated car intend to go for Tarox or similar.

We cannot even get Mintex, nor Tarox here, and Pagid makes NOTHING for domestics, and only brings in stuff for the Stuttgart-made product for the most part.
frown.gif

The rotors were actually Bosch, I have a Freestyle OEM rear rotor as a doorstop at work, and Bosch is clearly cast into it.

1125 is the Ford base number for an OEM slide on front rotor, so every vehicle uses that number. 1102 is a hub and disc OEM front rotor and 2C026 is a OEM rear rotor

Does your state use road salt? I'd wait until spring to swap on the new rotors ... unless the current ones are horrible.

No sense in rusting out a set of new rotors

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Does your state use road salt? I'd wait until spring to swap on the new rotors ... unless the current ones are horrible.

No sense in rusting out a set of new rotors

Good advice for a lot of locations, but not an issue here at all--no salt. The ones on there are almost 8 years old and have very minimal rust on the vanes, almost none on the hats. Truth is I could probably get another set of pads out of them. I'm always shocked when I see pictures of folks' cars from the rust belt. Scary!

JOD, shoot me the last 8 of your VIN and I'll get you the OEM and Motorcraft part numbers for the rotors.

Done, thanks for the help! I'm pretty pleased w/the OEM rotors and how they've held up, so as long as I can get what's on there, I think that's the direction I want to go. Given that the Freestyle is headed the way of the Edsal, I expect you'll have a lot of parts to use for door stops...

OEM Front rotor p/n 8G1Z-1125-A which is updated from 5F9Z-1125-C.
OEM Rear rotor p/n is AG1Z-2C026-A which updates 4 times.

The new numbers are off of the Taurus/500 which uses the same brake system.

Here is my doorstop, notice the Bosch and Ford casting numbers

1B2A4A68-C810-4639-918A-240B2786F29E-4263-0000065307338E73.jpg

I stock the rear rotors. Ford has made the OEM rotors and pads available from Motorcraft only vendors, hence the short number as well. What matters is the basic number is 1125 or 2C026, versus 1V125 or some cases 2V026 which indicates Motorcraft Value line. The F on the short number prefix indicates factory, where a Motorcraft would just be BRR.

D0F7D8FB-8394-4C2E-8B47-C941E022E8C5-4263-000006531785B30B.jpg

Most of Ford's Motorcraft line seems to be made in Mexico. No, it isn't China, but it isn't the US or Canada either
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Most of Ford's Motorcraft line seems to be made in Mexico. No, it isn't China, but it isn't the US or Canada either
frown.gif

True, but I'd take Mexico any day over China.

Originally Posted By: weebl
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
frown.gif

True, but I'd take Mexico any day over China.

Yeah, me too. I was actually glad to see that the MC Rotors were at least from N. America. Thanks to bdcardinal's help with the part #'s, I got the Ford Genuine rotors from a dealer nearby. I ordered them and I'll pick them up in a couple of days, so I'll report back on the country of origin. The OEM rotors served me really well, so if they're of similar quality, I'll be happy. Interestingly, the ones on my car show a lot less rust on the hats than the doorstops!

Originally Posted By: JOD
Interestingly, the ones on my car show a lot less rust on the hats than the doorstops!

That thing has been there for maybe 5 years now. Ever since the recall on the brake pads and rotors on the 500's and Freestyles. We had a lot of spares left over.

Early this year I purchased Motorcraft front rotors and pads for my 1996 Contour from Rock Auto Parts. The rotors were in white boxes. If there was a label on it it's not there now. I have the boxes back with the old rotors. The pads were in a Motorcraft box marked made in Mexico. Recently I purchased from Rock Auto OEM front rotors and pads for my wife's 2005 Explorer. The OEM rotor box had a Ford label saying made in America. The OEM pads, in a Ford box, were made in China, go figure.

Whimsey

Funny story about country of origin on rotors.

A customer ordered OEM rotors for his Super Duty and threw a complete fit because the rotors for his American truck were made in Canada. I shrugged and said I wouldn't mind Canada at all since they are America's hat. Then I looked and asked if he was aware his truck was made in Mexico. The customer went ballistic, using words that would make a sailor blush. The VIN on his truck began with a "3" which indicates production in Mexico.

Then I looked and asked if he was aware his truck was made in Mexico. The customer went ballistic, using words that would make a sailor blush.

Going ballistic on you for telling him, or going ballistic because it was true? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back