Who Makes Ford Genunie Rotors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
OEM Front rotor p/n 8G1Z-1125-A which is updated from 5F9Z-1125-C.

...What matters is the basic number is 1125 or 2C026, versus 1V125 or some cases 2V026 which indicates Motorcraft Value line. The F on the short number prefix indicates factory, where a Motorcraft would just be BRR.

Thanks again for clearing this up. I picked up the rotors today, and they had the BRRF/8G1Z-1125-A designation on them. What I wasn't expecting was that they're actually fully coating in black zinc oxide. That's definitely a nice touch. They look really nice, better than the Motorcraft BRR rotors that I'd seen, by a long shot. Hecho en Mexico.

Funny, when I ordered them online the part dude called the next morning and said that they had the Motorcraft version in stock and they'd give them to me for the same price if I didn't want to wait--otherwise, I could wait a day. After I told him I wasn't in a hurry, he said "smart move"...

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Going ballistic on you for telling him, or going ballistic because it was true? lol

Little of Column A, little of Column B.

So, I got my rotors yesterday:

346kzgj.jpg

Pretty cool. I'm diggin' the black zinc oxide finish, even though rust isn't an issue. Here's a picture of the dust shield, to give an idea:

fyfhmw.jpg

I'm so glad I don't live the rust belt! I took a bunch of pictures of the old rotors, only to delete them from my camera... I'm tempted to get them resurfaced and use them next time--or give them away to someone who needs them. At 130K, they still have some life left in them, and they aren't that rusty--a little on the vanes and on the rear of the hat. Given how the original rotors held up, I really wanted to stick with the OEM. After getting them, I'm not disappointed.

Got the brakes changed and a full bleed, just before the rain started! I was surprised, 2 year old fluid still looked pretty dirty.

The cortec paper there also helps prevent rusting.

That hub flange doesn't look too bad, but could use some cleaning. I presume you cleaned it up with a 3M roloc disc or similar before installing the rotors, right?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
The cortec paper there also helps prevent rusting.

That hub flange doesn't look too bad, but could use some cleaning. I presume you cleaned it up with a 3M roloc disc or similar before installing the rotors, right?

The surface rust on the hub isn't on the mating surface, just on the top part. I cleaned the mating surface, then just cleaned up the top part with a scotchbrite pad and some WD40 and it looked fine. For my purposes, it wasn't worth doing anymore. I put some antiseize on the hub before installing, and it appeared there was some on there from the factory. There was no "hitting the rotor with a hammer" for removal. As soon as I remove the set screw, they just fell off.

Kudos to Ford for not gouging you on the OEM rotors purchased from the dealer. Chrysler wanted about $110 for my OEM Caravan rotors, about 4 times more than white box rotors and over 2 times more than "better" after market such as Raybestos Advanced Technology.

Thanks for sharing. If dealers/mfg. would wake up, they might realize they could generate a lot more parts traffic if they tried to be slightly competitive.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Kudos to Ford for not gouging you on the OEM rotors purchased from the dealer. Chrysler wanted about $110 for my OEM Caravan rotors, about 4 times more than white box rotors and over 2 times more than "better" after market such as Raybestos Advanced Technology.

Thanks for sharing. If dealers/mfg. would wake up, they might realize they could generate a lot more parts traffic if they tried to be slightly competitive.

Keep in mind that many OE rotors use dampened iron, which helps with overall friction levels and noise reduction. Few Aftermarket rotors use dampened iron.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

Yeah, agree on this one--props to Bowen Scarff Ford down in Kent, WA. Not all that close to me, but they've always been really good on pricing and service when I order parts, which is why I make the trip down there. The rotors were $6X.00, right in line with online pricing for the premium Centric/Raybestos rotors for this car, and cheaper then the EBC's. I order the parts on line, and even if it's not in stock I normally have it in a day or two.

I would avoid buying OEM Chrysler rotors at any price. That is because I deal with so many warped ones. Many aftermarket rotors don't warp in those apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back