Who makes Canadian Supertech?

In the linked test, Supertech synthetic is not much faster than 100-per-cent dino at –20 C, reckoned extreme in warmer climes. This "cold"-pour test is recent: 2019.

Speaking of 2019, It hit –40 in Winnipeg on January 30 — not the wind-chill temperature, the real thing. Other days were nearly as cold. If Supertech is that sluggish at –20 C, imagine it at –40. I'll stick with plain-vanilla Mobil 1, the fastest cold pours in older videos, which, if I remember correctly, used 5W30, pre-dating my new favourite, 0W30.

I suppose Supertech synthetic is the bees knees year-round for most of the world; here, not so much.

Good point! In fairness, the test compares 0W-30 Mobil 1 to 5W-30 SuperTech, and probably says more about 0W vs 5W than it does about Mobil 1 vs SuperTech. Unfortunately, I didn't see any 0W SuperTech oil at Walmart, and didn't find any online.

I'll likely stick to Mobil 1 0W-30 for winter, and will consider a 5W- or 10W-30 SuperTech for summer.

Thanks for the link on the all-time lows here. I remember various of those days. I sometimes take screen caps of the Environment Canada forecast for Winnipeg, and send them to friends in warmer climates (i.e. almost anywhere else).

I remember that -42 C day in February '96 especially well - I used to run to work, about 11 km one-way (and take the bus home), but during a few weeks of that prolonged cold snap I was taking a course quite a bit farther away, and had been driving there. Anyway, I wanted to run at least once, and it happened to be the -42 day. I left home at 05:30, and did the 20 km in about 1:50. I was well-bundled-up with several layers, and a neoprene facemask. Made custom spats for my ankles by cutting up some old socks. Caught a ride home though! My wife had made a cake with icing running shoes on top, and the temperature (-42) in icing.

When I moved back here in '78, I was still running Quaker State 10W-30, and was not used to plugging in. My '78 Impala suffered through many an unhappy cold start that winter.

Anyway, I went to CT earlier this evening and picked up four 4.73 l jugs of 0W-30 @ $28.99 each (50% off). Almost twice the price of the SuperTech, but not a lot of money in the great scheme of things. My accumulated CT "money" paid the whole shot.

I use 5w30 Supertech in our Chevy Traverse year round here in Winnipeg. Works great and goes on sale about every 2nd or 3rd month for $14.97.

If you're worried about cold winter starts get a oil pan heater. I've put on on my F150 that sits outside year round, plug it in 2 hours before you start your vehicle and the oil (and the lower block) will be prewarmed at start up. I still use the block heater as well.

Hey, another Winnipegger - welcome!

I like the idea of oil pan heaters and dipstick heaters, but the next oil change will be on Jr's van. He often has to park on the street, so can't plug in. The Mobil 1 0W-30 should serve him well.

I run a block heater and an onboard trickle charger on my own vehicle. If we get another crazy cold winter, I'll consider installing an oil pan heater as well.

In the linked test, Supertech synthetic is not much faster than 100-per-cent dino at –20 C, reckoned extreme in warmer climes. This "cold"-pour test is recent: 2019.

Speaking of 2019, It hit –40 in Winnipeg on January 30 — not the wind-chill temperature, the real thing. Other days were nearly as cold. If Supertech is that sluggish at –20 C, imagine it at –40. I'll stick with plain-vanilla Mobil 1, the fastest cold pours in older videos, which, if I remember correctly, used 5W30, pre-dating my new favourite, 0W30.

I suppose Supertech synthetic is the bees knees year-round for most of the world; here, not so much.

Hmmm..., -20C is not a tough test for a 5w30. Any conventional 5w30 will perform like a synthetic 5w30 in a cold flow rest at -20 C. You need to be at -40 C to see a difference,

I like the idea of oil pan heaters and dipstick heaters, but the next oil change will be on Jr's van. He often has to park on the street, so can't plug in. The Mobil 1 0W-30 should serve him well.
I feel bad for any vehicle that doesn't have a plug in available during a Winnipeg winter.:cry:

The 0w30 you're planning on using is your best bet for the cold.

I feel bad for any vehicle that doesn't have a plug in available during a Winnipeg winter.:cry:

The 0w30 you're planning on using is your best bet for the cold.
It's interesting to check out old torn-down engines that have lived here - you can see minimal cylinder wear closest to the immersion block heater, with wear increasing as you move away from the heater.

Another interesting thing:

Assuming the engine has been completely cold-soaked (let's say not driven for three or more days, and not plugged in, the coolant temperature will be at ambient. When I've plugged in for three hours, that -25 C (or colder) coolant will get up to +23 C. (That's per my Scangauge.)

And also per the Scangauge, the fuel consumption is much lower when the engine starts out that much closer to operating temperature.

It seems to be some badge of honour for some people here to be able to start their car in supercold temperatures without the engine being plugged in. Yes, you can do it, but why? Isn't a bit of inconvenience and a few $ monthly worth the reduced engine, starter, and battery wear, the fuel savings, and the reduced time for the heater to start cranking out heat? 0.08/kWh x 3 hours x 0.5 kW = $0.12. Plug in for eight days in a row, and you're out almost a buck! 😲

It's interesting to check out old torn-down engines that have lived here - you can see minimal cylinder wear closest to the immersion block heater, with wear increasing as you move away from the heater.
My first car was a 74 Charger with a 318 that some previous owner had added a second block heater to. They were on opposite sides of the motor and both of them worked. That car warmed up really fast.

I remember installing lower radiator hose heaters on my first couple cars in the early 70's, difference between starting and not starting some days.

My first car was a 74 Charger with a 318 that some previous owner had added a second block heater to. They were on opposite sides of the motor and both of them worked. That car warmed up really fast.
Dad's '67 Newport (383) had same. I wonder if that was a Chrysler thing?

Dad's '67 Newport (383) had same. I wonder if that was a Chrysler thing?
My '92 Buick Roadmonster, bought in '94 so I can't swear they were stock, had two block heaters, one on each side. It's likely they were stock, though, or an available option.

Last edited:
Was that an external heater like a battery blanket?
You had to cut the hose to install them, they actually worked pretty good and it was something I could do myself at 16 years old. I'm guessing here but since it was on the lower hose the heat radiated up into the block as well as the radiator.

Last edited:
Does Safety Kleen still make the Canadian version of Supertech oils? (they did back in 2009, we know this) I ask this because starting tomorrow Walmart in Canada is selling Supertech synthetic for only $17.47 for 5L jugs, and that has to be the lowest priced synthetic available to us up here (it works out to about $13.10 US)
So for just about $3-4 more you can buy Pennzoil or Valvoline? Asking for a friend.

So for just about $3-4 more you can buy Pennzoil or Valvoline? Asking for a friend.

I can get a 5 liter bottle of Supertech FULL synthetic on sale for $14.97 Canadian dollars. I haven't seen Pennzoil or Valvoline FULL synthetic oil on sale for less then around $28 Canadian dollars.

I can get a 5 liter bottle of Supertech FULL synthetic on sale for $14.97 Canadian dollars. I haven't seen Pennzoil or Valvoline FULL synthetic oil on sale for less then around $28 Canadian dollars.
Last November before black Friday Canadian Tire had a huge sale on Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra. Jugs were on sale for $22/$23 and change along with a $5 rebate per household for up to 4 jugs. That was the best deal in a long time. I stocked up and got 8 jugs of Ultra.

That supertech is a very good deal.

Been running Pennzoil Platinum for over 5 years now, but couldn't resist Super Tech's price. That and my vehicles are getting old, so realistically there's no noticeable difference. The bottle feels a bit cheap and I miss the side handle of the Pennzoil. Not sure if the anti tamper seal is a benefit as it's easy to accidentally have some of that fall into the bottle. But otherwise, these are minor complaints and oil is oil. Wish it came in 0W30 though.

Reactions: JC1
Back