Who makes BMW's "store brand" oil?

Because 20k miles seems utterly ridiculous and sometimes the unit (km or mi) gets left out of the post.

20k miles or 2 years is a fairly standard OCI in Europe.

The exact interval can vary depending on usage as its condition based servicing.

When I bought my car it had a 17k mile interval, after 50k miles in my hands the service interval is now 20k miles.

I am surprised that somebody with a BMW specific forum name is so lacking in knowledge of how BMW service intervals work.

The exact interval can vary depending on usage as its condition based servicing.

When I bought my car it had a 17k mile interval, after 50k miles in my hands the service interval is now 20k miles.

I am surprised that somebody with a BMW specific forum name is so lacking in knowledge of how BMW service intervals work.
Yes well having owned them for well over 20 yrs as well having conversations with owners worldwide during this time it can be difficult to quickly recall the specifics for models in various markets.

Tell me with your plethora of experience with the brand how do you manage to keep everything straight or do you find that it comes naturally? I could use some suggestions.

Last edited:

I always was curious how long the folks in Europe keep theirs car. Based on my experience with the German car market, many people over there keep their cars from new for 4-5 years and get rid of them/trade in after 100k km(60 k miles) which is peanuts for the long term ownership. Then those cars are sold to other countries like Eastern Europe and Asia. So for 100k, 20K OCI won’t be any noticeable impact for the first owner, only the benefit of the low cost maintenance, the second one will get all “the fun” of the prolonged OCIs. But the labor cost in those countries is much lower, so an engine rebuild is a reasonable option.

In the US we have the same lease programs, and 80% of BMWs are leased with 10k miles/ once a year maintenance as a standard.

What would make a good case for longer OCIs, a similar engines comparison of short OCI vs long OCI after 200-300K. Pistons, rings clearness, cylinder walls/ cylinder skirts wear, condition of bearings, sludge or varnish, etc.
Otherwise it comes to the types of conversion - he said, she said

I always was curious how long the folks in Europe keep theirs car. Based on my experience with the German car market, many people over there keep their cars from new for 4-5 years and get rid of them/trade in after 100k km(60 k miles) which is peanuts for the long term ownership. Then those cars are sold to other countries like Eastern Europe and Asia. So for 100k, 20K OCI won’t be any noticeable impact for the first owner, only the benefit of the low cost maintenance, the second one will get all “the fun” of the prolonged OCIs. But the labor cost in those countries is much lower, so an engine rebuild is a reasonable option.

In the US we have the same lease programs, and 80% of BMWs are leased with 10k miles/ once a year maintenance as a standard.

What would make a good case for longer OCIs, a similar engines comparison of short OCI vs long OCI after 200-300K. Pistons, rings clearness, cylinder walls/ cylinder skirts wear, condition of bearings, sludge or varnish, etc.
Numerous vehicles in Europe, a huge majority, end up in east Europe and then from there to Africa or directly to Africa from the first countries.
He does not understand that different markets have different recommendations. In the US, 17k is a life monitor, and now OCI is 10K. Numerous markets in Europe have 10K OCI, and it is not all about fuel quality, but generally exploitation environment. The UK does not have cold winters. Poland has different OCI requirements than the UK.

To support the domestic car market in Japan, they have had a law for decades that requires a deep inspection at year three, then every two years after that. Anything out of compliance must be replaced. Cracked windshield, cracked headlight, frayed seatbelt, tires too old, ...Must be replaced, or car is pulled off the road. So everyone trades them in, and the cars end up in Vietnam, and every other SE Asian country....or they get parted out and sent off to the rest of the world. It explains the plethora of low mileage crate engines from Japan that were so plentiful in the 1980s and 1990s. (cars don't accumulate many miles in Japan because the country is so small and congested). :) Google search "Shaken Japanese car inspection" for more details. The Japanese car manufacturers must have good relations with the government to give them that sort of support.

To support the domestic car market in Japan, they have had a law for decades that requires a deep inspection at year three, then every two years after that. Anything out of compliance must be replaced. Cracked windshield, cracked headlight, frayed seatbelt, tires too old, ...Must be replaced, or car is pulled off the road. So everyone trades them in, and the cars end up in Vietnam, and every other SE Asian country....or they get parted out and sent off to the rest of the world. It explains the plethora of low mileage crate engines from Japan that were so plentiful in the 1980s and 1990s. (cars don't accumulate many miles in Japan because the country is so small and congested). :) Google search "Shaken Japanese car inspection" for more details. The Japanese car manufacturers must have good relations with the government to give them that sort of support.
Average age in Germany I think is 10-12yrs. Inspections in many European countries is every year. I was working before moving here on setting up system of inspections in one European country and they utilize video surveillance. Each inspected vehicle has video file attached. It is far, far more rigorous than anything here. But, there is also culture there of maintenance and taking care of vehicles. Vehicle in Europe is far less of an appliance than here. It is more of an serious investment.

depends where you live in EU, since countys in EU have different laws/regulations. For example Finland have one of the oldest car parks in EU. Bmw/MB diesel engines with 400k or over 500k km are common here.

Oxidation, moisture etc. Same as dust etc. has to do with OCI.
thats a blank statement..thats minimal differences they have nothing to do with specifying each countrie's OCI.

Differences in OCI between European countries have to do ONLY with :

1) Contracts between the manufacturers and the dealers

2) driving conditions and patterns in each region

3) differences in environmental regulations

thats a blank statement..thats minimal differences they have nothing to do with specifying each countrie's OCI.

Differences in OCI between European countries have to do ONLY with :

1) Contracts between the manufacturers and the dealers

2) driving conditions and patterns in each region

3) differences in environmental regulations
OK, if you say so.

Back