Who else has hit rock bottom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 79sunrunner

But then maybe I should have taken more careful consideration of my dad's words, I should have killed myself a long time ago. I'm sorry if this was a bit dark, but someone here must have been in the deepest of voids and got themselves out.

Never let others drag you down, no matter what the circumstances. Everyone has their problems, circumstances, and challenges in life; some choose to wallow in them, and others choose to rise above them.

Every time you choose to review and revive your circumstances, you're forcing yourself to live them again. You don't need to continue to relive your problems, you need to choose to rise above them. For some people it's spiritual guidance, for others it's grabbing their own bootstraps, pulling themselves up, dusting themselves off and moving forward. Bottom line-if you're living in those circumstances, the longer you do so (and the more you sit around discussing it) the more you'll talk yourself into believing that you have to live with it.

You have to be responsible for yourself, but you don't have to be responsible for others. Don't fall into the whole "shared humanity" trap-make the choice to move yourself above the rest of the human herd while they sit around in a circle and whine about their circumstances.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is an evil spirit force driving your old man This cannot be counselled and it is clear has been afflicting him for many years and it has had a destructive influence on those that exposed it.

PM if you want more information.

Your dad is an absolute loser. That being said he is your father and I am sure you love him.

Don't let your life be ruined by hanging around caustic people. Pick yourself up sell a car or two(3????) and find your own place and real career. Construction is not where to be unless you learn to run an effective business. Based on description does not sound like that.

Get out immediately your father is not going to change....love and respect him from afar.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
You REALLY need to be having this conversation somewhere besides an oil forum on the internet. Like with a counselor. Nobody here can give you any meaningful advice and shouldn't try. Get real help.

+1

Good luck to you.

+2.

If you can't change the people around you, then change the people around you.

First, walk AWAY from the toxic in your life. Do not give or take one ounce of self-worth in or from anyone else.
Find someplace safe. Friends couch, something. Hard I know, but there is always an option, you just haven't found it yet. My boss lived in a small camper in a state park for a while.
Counseling, somehow, find some.
You've been employed, find out how to get unemployment for the short term. You don't sound like a charity case, you need funds to move forward.
Job with paycheck and permanent housing.
Everyone hits rock bottom. EVERYONE. You are not alone.
I know it's silly, but Dori in Finding Nemo teaches our kids to "Just keep swimming". Funny how we forget that as adults at times.

Get out of living in that house/car inside your garage. Take yourself to another state. Not another nearby city. I'm talking another state and start over, seeking help when you arrive at your next destination. Every state has help centers. Find out where you want to go - then find out where the help centers are, BEFORE you depart your current situation.

Begin anew somewhere else. Begin that new life and do not look back. 24 hours prior to leaving, tell everyone goodbye and don't let them talk you out of it.

I agree with many others on here that you need to get away from your dad and the other family members described above who are making your life a nightmare. If you get along OK with your mom and she is a decent person, see if she can help you out a bit while you put your construction experience to good use at a paying job and make a few bucks so you can get your own place.
Most of all, DON'T LISTEN TO THE VILE THINGS YOUR FATHER SAYS. He's using what should be a supportive relationship and your fears to control you for his own ends. You care enough about yourself to reach out here and ask for help, so you know that you are worthwhile and deserve better.

Leave the toxic family behind. Get out to the Houston area if you can. Jobs galore. Plenty of construction jobs, and then there is the Houston Ship Channel area. There is work if you want it. If you are in the right age group, the Military is a great option. Only you can solve your problem, and I believe you have known for some time what you need to do. It sounds like you are living a nightmare presently.

Sounds like your dad has some serious issues that need to be dealt with. Either with a doctor or psychiatrist. My opinion both. As echoed in previous comments, keep your chin up and walk away. It sounds like you are in a tough spot in a bad situation. Perhaps some space will do you good but ultimately your father needs help from somebody professionally.

A support system of caring people can help you get onto the first ladder rung to climb out of your situation. Often times, even when a person makes a conscious choice to pull themselves up, they don't have the skills to accomplish that.

See if your county has an emergency Community Mental Health program. Contact them and insist that you need help immediately. IF they have a good program, they will counsel you to get through your current anxiety and thoughts of hopelessness. They will then direct you to longer term assistance to guide you out of your situation and take care of yourself.

As hard as it will be, I agree with others that you have to abandon those weighing you down and only care for yourself at this moment.

There IS another, better life you can achieve. Best wishes to you.

It sounds to me like it is time to try to get a couple hundred bucks and just move to a new state. Get away from it and start a new life. You sound like you would be better off working full time at a minimum wage job and living in a cheap apartment on your own. Also, giving a military branch a try may be a good idea. It just sounds like it is time to get away from it all. I know there can be the want to fix things, but you can't fix other people's issues until you have yourself figured out. I vote to move down south and experience some of the good old southern hospitality. Department stores and grocery stores are a plenty and always hiring.

Here in Arkansas it isn't too bad making minimum wage. We now get $8.50 an hour minimum and it is pretty easy to find an apartment for $350 to $400 a month. It wouldn't be the best living situation, but better than what it sounds like you have!

I recently read a pretty good article about sleeping in places for free. It pointed out living in your car by sleeping in Walmart parking lots as most allow overnight parking and are fine with people in campers staying overnight. Call ahead and ask the specific store if they are okay with it. A lot of times, there will be a camper or two and a couple big rigs at the Walmart near me and they have had no problem when I have been in a bad situation and slept in the car there.

Oh, also with construction experience we have plenty of construction jobs open and hiring. It always seems like there just aren't enough people to do the work around here in central AR.

Originally Posted By: SR5
BTW re-reading this, I'll just add that you can't join the military if you have mental issues or talking about self-harm.

If you haven't talked to a doctor or been committed by the cops, eg it's not on paper, don't let it get that far, if this is an option you might want to pursue.

I'd ask your dad for a lump sum of $2000 in back wages then skip town. Work somewhere that provides a W2 for a few months and get an address eg in a trailer park so you can have some references for a better job.

79, how do you handle the pain of this ??

I suggest you go to a few "open" AA & NA meetings in your area and see if you can identify.

I had a gun to my head (in my own hand) in 1989 - life's pretty good today.
I couldn't do it by myself, I needed strength and direction. Found it in AA/NA.

Forget about their faults/defects/shortcomings and work on your own.

Good luck

I'll just add a few cents worth. My childhood sucked too. I felt sorry for myself and was depressed quite a bit. Then one day, I woke up, decided that I would no longer be depressed and no longer feel sorry for myself. I decided to look at the positive side of EVERYTHING, no matter how bad it was. Haven't looked back since, and haven't been depressed since. Obviously, that wont work for everyone, but it worked for me.

1) Get out of your situation NOW. And I mean a homeless shelter or a tent would be better. Seriously.
2) See if you can crash at a friends house. Or tell mom how bad it is and ask to stay with her until you can get on your feet.
3) If you have a clean background, look for a govt job. The Dept of Corrections in almost every state is hiring and will pay for your training. The military or coast guard could be a nice clean way to start over as well.

what he said ........

3) If you have a clean background, look for a govt job. The Dept of Corrections in almost every state is hiring and will pay for your training.

The Texas Dept. of Criminal Justice has openings for correctional officers ALL THE TIME.
Anywhere in the state, from the frozen wastelands of the panhandle to the the lush green areas of east Texas, to the nice central hill country.
A quick web search will get you all the info you need to get started.
Health insurance, retirement, sick time , generous holiday time, and you get to live in Texas!

Military might be a good answer for you. Learn something new, good housing, meals and job security. You will become independent and most importantly, out from under your dad's control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back