Who does cylinder deactivation well?

Rod Knock brings a real puzzle to this discussion.

The Ford 7.3 not only has good rod journal bearing to cam oiling, but it also has piston cooling via oil squirters oiling the cam.
How are piston squirters (which spray oil on the underside of the piston) oiling the cam? Also, the 6.4L and 6.2L HEMI's both have squirters, FYI.
This is far better than the original small block Chevy or the hemi that has a cast oil passage blocking much of the area between the rod bearing and the cam. Lifter leakage oiling in my opinion is minimal as the lifter fit is less than half the rod bearing clearance (0.0005 to 0.0010") and the lifters are small diameter allowing for minimal leakage.
But it's adequate for roller motors. Would definitely not want to try and retrofit FT's to it though.
Next the lifter roller is plenty large enough to support the 500# valve opening load (open valve spring pressure times 2 for maximum rpm). If the problem was impact loading from floating the lifters at high rpm, then the lifter roller bearings would likely fail. Also, if the lifter roller is too soft then the inside of the lifter roller is likely to fail first due to a higher psi load than the outside of the roller. Maybe the cam itself is too soft?
It's either the pin or the roller (often the pin) that develops a wear groove (due to improper hardening) that then ultimately results in the needles piling up and the roller no longer rolling, wiping the lobe. @TeamZero has shown pictures of what this looks like (he's an FCA/Stellantis tech).
Has anyone done a Rockwell hardness test of the failed cam and roller lifters? You could probably have it done at a Mechanical Engineering College for free. I know when I went to school, the metalogical class professor would have loved to evaluate this problem.
While the SADI core cams may also have some HT issues (we've seen pitting even on non-failed roller lobes), it's the lifter that ultimately seizes up first, taking the lobe with it. I don't know if anybody has actually tested the lifter pins/rollers for appropriate hardness, but I assume FCA has, since they've revised the part like 7 times now.

Prior to putting the flowmaster on my Ram, I could only tell if I gave it some throttle, but not enough to force a downshift, or if I was going up a hill. There’s a super brief hesitation that I notice, but my wife doesn’t. Never bothered me though, haven’t experienced any other brands implementations of it to form an opinion. I’d say it’s a well implemented system.

With the flowmaster you can tell instantly by the change in the sound, but that’s entirely my fault… I just use range select so I only hear sweet sweet full time v8 HEMI noises.
Everyone is entitled to own one flowdisaster muffler 😷

Last edited:
Seems to be 11 AFM threads - putting this comment in 2

I decided to check in on an engineer I worked with in 2021:
His 2015 5.3L Suburban has had zero issues - the AFM is still active at 160k …
(still on Mobil 1 0W20) …

Mi

My F150 has a button for start/ stop . There is also a wiring harness that goes behind that button you can buy aftermarket - or a box that plugs in to the diagnostic port to turn off start/ stop. The downside to the first is the dash has to come apart- but plenty of YouTube videos show how that is done.
You can also turn it off with Forscan very easily.

Yeah, by shutting the entire engine down at once, not a few cylinders at a time. The intermittent deactivation of certain cylinders destroys engines eventually.
Please explain, in detail, with data that backs up your assertion. It gets really tiring when people throw a hissy fit about literally everything that results in better fuel economy or lower emissions. If half of this site had their way we'd still be driving naturally aspirated 8L V8s with carburetors on them. People complain about ESS, I have not seen nor heard of a widespread catastrophic amount of failures of ESS starters, despite it being common for a decade or more. There *are* some issues with cylinder deactivation on some engines, but it's not universal. VW has little to no trouble with the cylinder deactivation used on the 1.4 (and now 1.5) EA211 which has been in use for quite a few years now.

Please explain, in detail, with data that backs up your assertion. It gets really tiring when people throw a hissy fit about literally everything that results in better fuel economy or lower emissions. If half of this site had their way we'd still be driving naturally aspirated 8L V8s with carburetors on them. People complain about ESS, I have not seen nor heard of a widespread catastrophic amount of failures of ESS starters, despite it being common for a decade or more. There *are* some issues with cylinder deactivation on some engines, but it's not universal. VW has little to no trouble with the cylinder deactivation used on the 1.4 (and now 1.5) EA211 which has been in use for quite a few years now.
I've had to pick up the pieces of these engines (Ford, GM, Chrysler) , destroyed by the deactivation of certain cylinders via the collapsed lifter not returning to full length and then rotating on the cam shafts and destroying the cam. These deactivation systems have done far more harm to hard working people that thought by purchasing a vehicle with these systems they would save money but in reality they end up purchasing a new engine or repairing their existing engine for upwards of $5,000 to $7,500. I speak from practical experience. I personally wouldn't touch a VW or own one.

I've had to pick up the pieces of these engines (Ford, GM, Chrysler) , destroyed by the deactivation of certain cylinders via the collapsed lifter not returning to full length and then rotating on the cam shafts and destroying the cam. These deactivation systems have done far more harm to hard working people that thought by purchasing a vehicle with these systems they would save money but in reality they end up purchasing a new engine or repairing their existing engine for upwards of $5,000 to $7,500. I speak from practical experience. I personally wouldn't touch a VW or own one.
To be fair, those failures are all (unless I'm mistaken) on pushrod engines, where they had to shoehorn the cylinder deactivation into the lifters rather than a separate mechanism. That's not the case in most other engines, where it's usually built in as part of the camshaft, such as in VWs case where the center 2 cylinders are slid using solenoids onto a flat cam lobe, and moved back. Worst case if it fails is you get stuck in 2 or 3 cylinder mode, this system is quite a bit simple and more robust than the lifter-based system.

The FCA lifter failure issue has nothing to do with MDS (GM's lifter failures are, at least in part, related to AFM though, or AFM is affected).

What Ford engine has cylinder deactivation?

Overkill: Other than the 7.3 Gas engine, Ford has separate cam phasers for intake and exhaust. With this, they easily outperform cylinder deactivation. Hold the intake valves open (by retarding the intake cam) during the first part of the intake stroke and it's accomplished the same benefit as cylinder deactivation, without extra gadgets.

Reducing engine vacuum is worth as much as 15% at light throttle. Slow the engine down, via more transmission gears is the most effective way to gain this efficiency, retarding only the intake cam is the next best method and finally cylinder deactivation still gets the job done. With 4 speed automatic transmissions, doing things with the engine was beneficial. With the lasted 8 to 10 speed transmissions that are doing 80% of this benefit, I see cylinder deactivation as a useless relic. As far as failure go, they likely cause in the neighborhood of 2 failures out of 100 engines, too few to find any hard statics. I've seen internet pictures of cams lobes for cylinders 1, 4, 6 and 7, which are the only cylinders being activated/deactivated on a Hemi. We need a mechanic to give us a better feel for there reliability. Where I live both old GM LS engines and Hemis commonly have this issue; however, they also are well over 150k miles, and beyond anything that I'm interested in owning.

Next someone asked about how piston cooling oil jets help oil the cam. When the piston is on the downstroke that piston squirter oil is pushed at downward direction into the spinning crankshaft rod assembly. At 550 rpm the outside surface speed of the crankshaft is about 8 mph, which is the same as an exposed motorcycle chain at 23 mph ground speed. With a newly oiled chain that has quit dripping, almost nothing flies off. Spray oil onto the chain at 23 mph, and you just got a bath. Or take your newly washed car at 8 mph through a 50' long damp spot on the road, no issues. Drive 8 mph through a 50' long 1/4" deep puddle and back to the car wash you go.

Overkill: Other than the 7.3 Gas engine, Ford has separate cam phasers for intake and exhaust. With this, they easily outperform cylinder deactivation. Hold the intake valves open (by retarding the intake cam) during the first part of the intake stroke and it's accomplished the same benefit as cylinder deactivation, without extra gadgets.
I'm aware of Ford also using reversion to "wash" the valves on the Ecoboost engines, which is why they originally didn't bother with dual injection, though they've retreated from that position. But Ford hasn't actually used cylinder deactivation in the same manner as GM and FCA have as far as I'm aware, which was the claim in the post I was responding to.

Not to get too into the weeds here, but that's an interesting description you are making, because it would affect all cylinders, rather than just specific ones. So, rather than just cutting displacement, you are modifying, broadly, camshaft/valve timing. Dual cam phasing has been around for decades (BMW's dual VANOS for example), but this is the first time I've heard somebody claim it can perform the same function as cylinder deactivation. This is doubly weird because of course Honda engines that use cylinder deactivation are OHC. Do you have some data on this that I could read?

Normal process, as I understand it, is that the cams default to full advance, and that's where they sit on startup. As engine RPM is increased, the timing is retarded, shifting the power band upwards until the camshafts are at full retard. There is however a limited range. Now, being able to advance/retard each camshaft of course allows even finer tuning of this process, but are you sure you mean the first part of the intake stroke? Because the intake valve would already be open during the first part of the intake stroke, if you are trying to bleed-off compression, you'd leave it open for the first part of the compression stroke; hold the valve open longer by retarding the timing of that event, but that sounds beyond the range one would normally allow for the phaser unless they were specifically looking to do this, which, based on Ford's use of reversion to "wash" the valves, I could see being the case.

Anyways, would love some more details on this if you have it.
Reducing engine vacuum is worth as much as 15% at light throttle. Slow the engine down, via more transmission gears is the most effective way to gain this efficiency, retarding only the intake cam is the next best method and finally cylinder deactivation still gets the job done. With 4 speed automatic transmissions, doing things with the engine was beneficial. With the lasted 8 to 10 speed transmissions that are doing 80% of this benefit, I see cylinder deactivation as a useless relic.
The HEMI with MDS was never backed by 4spd however. MDS was used behind the NAG-1 (5spd) and then the ZF 8HP for a decade now, so clearly the engineers don't share your opinion. Worth noting, despite the multitude of gears, depending on what you have in the pots, highway RPM may still be elevated. Our 1500 has 3.92's out back and is spinning over 2K at highway speeds.

GM has now chosen to get even more aggressive with their new "update" to their cylinder deactivation, which, according to @clinebarger, is even more problem-prone than its predecessor. I can't see how they'd invest even more money in doing this if the benefit wasn't there 🤷‍♂️ Food for thought on that one.
As far as failure go, they likely cause in the neighborhood of 2 failures out of 100 engines, too few to find any hard statics.
Yes, would be interesting to see some statistics on that, I expect that number is high. My dealer has never done lifters on an SRT for example, and they've sold several hundred of them.
I've seen internet pictures of cams lobes for cylinders 1, 4, 6 and 7, which are the only cylinders being activated/deactivated on a Hemi. We need a mechanic to give us a better feel for there reliability. Where I live both old GM LS engines and Hemis commonly have this issue; however, they also are well over 150k miles, and beyond anything that I'm interested in owning.
We've seen lifters from the non-MDS cylinders wiped. The problem has also happened on non-MDS engines including the Hellcat and 6.4L backed by a stick. @TeamZero who is an FCA tech has chimed-in on this subject a few times to add his perspective. The issue isn't with MDS, it's with the improper heat treating of the pin or roller and can happen on MDS and non-MDS lifters. The latest revision has apparently had a significant impact in reducing ROO.

GM's issue, while similar, is different in the sense that it does seem to also include a failing of the deactivation function of the lifter, which the FCA lifters don't experience.
Next someone asked about how piston cooling oil jets help oil the cam. When the piston is on the downstroke that piston squirter oil is pushed at downward direction into the spinning crankshaft rod assembly. At 550 rpm the outside surface speed of the crankshaft is about 8 mph, which is the same as an exposed motorcycle chain at 23 mph ground speed. With a newly oiled chain that has quit dripping, almost nothing flies off. Spray oil onto the chain at 23 mph, and you just got a bath. Or take your newly washed car at 8 mph through a 50' long damp spot on the road, no issues. Drive 8 mph through a 50' long 1/4" deep puddle and back to the car wash you go.
Sure, you might end up with more oil flying around in the crankcase, but there's still that big ass galley below the cam blocking much in the way of any oil making its way up there. The purpose of the cooling jets/squirters is to cool the pistons, not oil the camshaft, or other components, so any additional lubrication being provided here is wholly accidental.

Anyway, as I noted, both the 6.4L HEMI and the 6.2L HEMI have squirters. So if the 7.3L Ford is also having this issue, the common theme here doesn't appear to be squirters or cylinder deactivation but the fact these are all pushrod motors and apparently lifter quality isn't what it was in the 80's and 90's, lol.

Last edited:
I don't know how big of issue the Ford 7.3 is having. I've seen a couple with over 100k having no issues, which is why I bought a 2022 RV with that engine. There's probably 100 or more high mileage Hemi's for every 7.3 Ford. I think it will be at least 5 more years before we know if this is a common vs an isolated issue.

I don't know how big of issue the Ford 7.3 is having. I've seen a couple with over 100k having no issues, which is why I bought a 2022 RV with that engine. There's probably 100 or more high mileage Hemi's for every 7.3 Ford. I think it will be at least 5 more years before we know if this is a common vs an isolated issue.
Yeah, there are millions of HEMI's out there so the data set is certainly a lot more extensive. We have a 2011 in our fleet with 220,000 miles on it per my post in this thread:

And that's an engine with lifters that I believe were before any of the revisions, lol.

I do remember that the roller lifters we had in the 80's engines never had these issues. I recycled the high mileage ones in my 302 with my TFS and then later custom camshaft.

I remember the 1980's flat tappet lifters well. Do the break-in procedure correctly and at 800 miles have not one, but three cam lobe/lifter failures. Yuk.

Toyota hybrids are the king of start/stop. Drove an Honda with VCM, it’s a decent theory on paper but has proven worse in practice.

Car Wizard has said in several recent-ish videos that he won't rebuild engines or get rebuilt engines using "brand new, new stock" lifters, because the quality is garbage on them, and heard from other rebuilders the same thing. I think modern lifter quality is just bad for some reason. OHC engines don't seem to have the same issues, except for a few early years of the Pentastar because of a hardening issue I believe. That said, some Hemis also had issues with hardening of the camshaft even as a cam in block design.

Car Wizard has said in several recent-ish videos that he won't rebuild engines or get rebuilt engines using "brand new, new stock" lifters, because the quality is garbage on them, and heard from other rebuilders the same thing. I think modern lifter quality is just bad for some reason. OHC engines don't seem to have the same issues, except for a few early years of the Pentastar because of a hardening issue I believe. That said, some Hemis also had issues with hardening of the camshaft even as a cam in block design.
Yeah, the HEMI uses a SADI core because FCA is cheap. GM uses a billet, which is a more expensive, but higher quality route.

Going from a SADI (Ductile Iron) cam core with a fatigue strength of 30k to 74kpsi to a low carbon steel billet with a fatigue strength of 110kpsi is a major upgrade. Also, like wheel bearings once either the race or roller fails, then both show failure due to one of the components having a compromised surface.

Based on my previous, as in "poor", lifter experience, I was expecting bad lifters to take out the cam. Perhaps we are seeing poor cam materials taking out the lifters.

I know keeping oil on the surface is needed for long life; however, one of the failures above was the lifter roller surface and not the lifter needle bearings. If the lifter rollers were made of poor material, then the failure would include the needle bearing surface. Therefore, I think the cam material is likely the major issue.

Back