White crust on alloy wheels- how to remove?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a used set of factory alloy wheels w/virtually new tires on them for my car. 2 of the wheels have some type of whitish, crusty deposits mostly near the outer rim, otherwise in great shape. Can this stuff be removed, if so how? does anything dissove it? Any & all help appreciated.

Stuart, that sounds like corrosion that has started underneath the clear coating. The clearcoat has to be removed first. I have used paint remover, or you can sand it off. (It is a very hard clear powder coating) Then use a fine emory cloth to clean the corrosion off, polish it as best you can, and re-coat with clear.

The Eastwood Company sells a product called "Diamond Klear", that is good for clear-coating wheels.
Good luck.
Don

Correct. If the corrosion has started under the clear coat, then the best is to strip down and start over.
However, if your wheels are not clear-coated, then they can easily be cleaned with hydroflouric acid.
wink.gif
It is readily availible from most car-wash and detail shop chemical distributors. Its pretty nasty stuff, though, so you definately won't find it anywhere retail.
shocked.gif

I'm not sure how wide-spread these two distributors are, but I have bought it from 'Castle' products and 'Wellworth' chemicals. They both sell the exact same product in thier own containers. A gallon is about $10.Worked awsome on the aluminum wheels for my Lincoln.
I got them out of a junkyard and they were solid black!
frown.gif
I tried buffing them with 'Mothers' and a Dremel tool, and got nothing!
mad.gif
A friend turned me on to this stuff, and you just spray it on, and hose it off! Wheels look brand new!!
patriot.gif
It is unbelievable stuff! I got some pretty nasty skin burns using it though, so wear some gloves.
nono.gif

The stuff is a cute little shade of pink, so I figured it couldn't be too strong
cool.gif
...it was.
pat.gif

Hmm... the wheels are definitely clear-coated. Guess I'll have to get them bead-blasted once I get the tires off, probably sometime next week. I now have a new-in-boxes set of Mopar alloys
grin.gif
(for Neon, 98-99 R/T style, bright polish)that I'll mount the tires on, then see how well the corrosion cleans up on the used wheels. Thanks to all who have replied with advice.

There is another possibility. Mineral stains. Often cars are washed and dryed, but the wheels are left to air dry. The best way I have found is with a little upholstery steamer (good for taking spots off glass too). second best would be vinegar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back