Which wax gives good UV protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car is parked all day at an open parking lot, and I want to put something on the exterior paint (which is white) to protect it against the sun(UV), here in Houston TX.
Any recommendations?

Is it for a '97 Volvo 850.

at the risk of being flogged for saying so....i thought i remembered the TW Ice paste saying it was UV protective to a degree, don't remember exact wording.

hide.gif

oh it's also supposed to still maintain the same properties as the liquid version that it doesn't leave white residue and can be used on trim and such...

Zaino sealants have UV inhibitors in them. I usually get 4-6 months of durability very easily, but with using their companion maintenance products, I'm at almost one year of protection.

A lot of waxes will give you the protection you want however it's just a matter of keeping on the car.

Zaino x2. The issue with UV versus Automobile paint is a lot different than UV versus human skin. UV will not give your car a "sunburn", but it will dry it out over time. If you have protection on the surface of your paint, than you have UV protection, so all products gaurd againt "drying" or UV on paint. I choose Zaino because it lasts longer than anything I've tried meaning it gives the longest lasting UV protection, and Sal Zaino puts an additional UV product in there.

Another thing to consider is how beneficial is the product to paint. A lot of companies use cheap oils flash cured by solvent and call it a "sealant". Other companies use Carnuba Wax which is basically glorified chapstick. Crosslinking polymers actually are the best kind of "paint food" for your paint. They are not greasy and do not collect dust and grime. They also have the highest melting temps, which is very crucial in a place like Texas.

If you use a product that doesn't last and the beading is hard to follow, it stands to reason you will have lapses between protection from the sun. With Zaino and a few other high quality sealants, it is very easy to follow the beading everytime it rains or everytime you wash the car. With the Zaino "Pro" lineup I have never gotten less than six months of beading. The problem with sealants is they have a bad rep because when they first came out over 30 years ago they looked flat. Now sealants especially the upgraded Zaino look as good or even better than most waxes. There are a few waxes that still look good and are good choices for car shows, but generally speaking wax is a dinosour thats time is coming. If you try Zaino I recommend just getting the ZAIO and either Z2Pro or Z5Pro as a basic package that will last you for years, if you have the extra cash Clear Seal is pretty amazing stuff.

Last edited:
Quote:

Zaino x2. The issue with UV versus Automobile paint is a lot different than UV versus human skin. UV will not give your car a "sunburn", but it will dry it out over time. If you have protection on the surface of your paint, than you have UV protection, so all products gaurd againt "drying" or UV on paint. I choose Zaino because it lasts longer than anything I've tried meaning it gives the longest lasting UV protection, and Sal Zaino puts an additional UV product in there.

Another thing to consider is how beneficial is the product to paint. A lot of companies use cheap oils flash cured by solvent and call it a "sealant". Other companies use Carnuba Wax which is basically glorified chapstick. Crosslinking polymers actually are the best kind of "paint food" for your paint. They are not greasy and do not collect dust and grime. They also have the highest melting temps, which is very crucial in a place like Texas.

If you use a product that doesn't last and the beading is hard to follow, it stands to reason you will have lapses between protection from the sun. With Zaino and a few other high quality sealants, it is very easy to follow the beading everytime it rains or everytime you wash the car. With the Zaino "Pro" lineup I have never gotten less than six months of beading. The problem with sealants is they have a bad rep because when they first came out over 30 years ago they looked flat. Now sealants especially the upgraded Zaino look as good or even better than most waxes. There are a few waxes that still look good and are good choices for car shows, but generally speaking wax is a dinosour thats time is coming. If you try Zaino I recommend just getting the ZAIO and either Z2Pro or Z5Pro as a basic package that will last you for years, if you have the extra cash Clear Seal is pretty amazing stuff.

Excellent post!!!!
approved.gif

http://www.meguiars.com/faq/index.cfm?fa...section=_18#_18

"Some waxes do contain UV-protection agents, but the amount of protection that a microscopically thin layer of wax can provide is limited

The primary goal of a wax is to protect the top layers of paint that contain UV-protection agents from the paint manufacture. If you wash and wax your car regularly, your paint will be protected and you should suffer no major UV damage over the normal course of the life of the car.

Don't be fooled by some companies that lead you to believe that it is the UV protection in a wax that protects your car's finish from fading and failure, this is dishonest and simply not true"

This is of a 10yr old truck with 179k miles that has sat outside 365 days a year, day and night in ALL kinds of weather....Hot Vegas, NV desert for 5yrs; UV rays glorified Colorado for now almost 6yrs in hot sun, rain, hail, snow, magnesium chloride.

Not too mention this truck has seen HUNDREDS of miles of dirt/rough roads, met it's match with some tree branches on 4x4 trails, sand storms of the desert.

Truck gets waxed EVERY 3-4 mnths without question, for the last 2yrs I have been using Mother's Caranuba cleaner-wax followed by Mother's synflex wax with superb results. Prior to this, I have used Meguire's products, namingly the Gold class series.

This picture was taken just minutes after a thorough cleaning from the picture below it...

Truck7-2007023.jpg

This pic doesn't do the caked on mud any justice...stuff was like CEMENT

Truck7-2007014.jpg

This pic was a few weeks after her mid-summer wax job

Chatfield.jpg

Optimum Opti Seal is a reasonably priced paint sealant that has UV inhibitors. Klasse Sealant Glaze is also great. Follow that up with a coat of Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax and you are good to go!

Another tough option is Collinite 845 Insulator Wax

Originally Posted By: Al
http://www.meguiars.com/faq/index.cfm?fa...section=_18#_18

"Some waxes do contain UV-protection agents, but the amount of protection that a microscopically thin layer of wax can provide is limited

The primary goal of a wax is to protect the top layers of paint that contain UV-protection agents from the paint manufacture. If you wash and wax your car regularly, your paint will be protected and you should suffer no major UV damage over the normal course of the life of the car.

Don't be fooled by some companies that lead you to believe that it is the UV protection in a wax that protects your car's finish from fading and failure, this is dishonest and simply not true"

I have to agree... the amount of UV protection that any wax can provide has to be limited. Still, a little added protection, even if only temporary has to be better than none.

From what I understand Zaino was originally developed to help protect single stage paint from fading. Zaino seems to have a unique UV system.

The best thing you can do to prevent premature clear coat oxidation/wear is to wash your car 3-4 times a month, waxing it with a good quality wax every 5th or 6th washing.

Going a step further is to remove any surface paint contaminants by going over your paint with detailing clay every 6 months. Always be sure to follow this with 1-2 coats of wax.

My favorite wax is Meguiar's Gold Class. There are some really good, expensive waxes that I have taken a liking to that you can find for sale on autogeek.net, but for everyday daily drivers, the convenience of picking up gold class at any major retailer is definitely a good alternative.

Meguiars FTW. I use the 3 step deep crystal process and am very pleased with it. When ever i go out cruzing every one looks. lol
and my car is a stock civic. LOL.
DEfinatly will last 3-4 months if you wash it every 1-2 weeks. and not by Car washes. They use soap, IT TAKES OFF YOUR WAX. I wlways wash it myself with Meguiars gold class car wash.

I use meguiars products on two vehicles and my newest one, a 2007 VW Rabbit. No matter what wash I use or wax i use, I lose that "just waxed" feel after one wash. I've even used meguiars waxes with their wash and it feels like it gets rubbed off after one wash. What gives? BOTH cars are like this. Am I doing something wrong?

I was my cars once a month or more in summer and less in winter, so water ALWAYS beads nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back