Bird poop, tree drippings, or UV/sun, which is worse?

Bummer of a problem. I’ve decided to park in the sun, use a sunshade, and crack the windows an inch or so. I bought air deflectors which work pretty well to keep the rain out of the cracked windows.
I lost the headliner in 2 vehicles and I believe it was due to the heat....

It's all paint damage, they just damage in different ways. We here on BITOG who live in hot climates know how the sun destroys everything.
OTOH, those of us who lived up north near the shore with heavily salted roads, salt air from the ocean (year round) and snow have cars undamaged from the sun but needing new suspension parts underneath that have rusted in under ten years of use. Not only the cost of parts, but labor cost is higher due to the work needed to remove those rusted parts.

We are all subject to one poison or the other. I moved recently down south. I just had a bunch of suspension work done to my car that spent 8 years up north as described. One more round of suspension parts to go, and then I can watch the sun do its thing to my car as it sits in the driveway 24/7. Maybe I should just ditch the car and get one of those battery powered scooters I see the youngsters riding around in.

OTOH, those of us who lived up north near the shore with heavily salted roads, salt air from the ocean (year round) and snow have cars undamaged from the sun but needing new suspension parts underneath that have rusted in under ten years of use. Not only the cost of parts, but labor cost is higher due to the work needed to remove those rusted parts.

We are all subject to one poison or the other. I moved recently down south. I just had a bunch of suspension work done to my car that spent 8 years up north as described. One more round of suspension parts to go, and then I can watch the sun do its thing to my car as it sits in the driveway 24/7. Maybe I should just ditch the car and get one of those battery powered scooters I see the youngsters riding around in.
Then your expenses will switch to hospital bills when some ditz on a cell phone runs you down with her Escalade.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Paint Protection Film yet. It's not cheap, but it'll take the brunt of the UV rays and make cleaning easier.

If you do get tinting, you need to ask for a variety that specifically rejects UV rays, some entry-level darkening films may not. You can also get a film on the windshield as well

coatings will resist 3-12ph or more. no wax can do that.

about ppf-how do you know it will last and not degrade under sun ? yellowing, mechanical-chemical changes ....

Bird Poop - Caustic damage can set in minutes.
Sap - How you remove it causes the most damage but by itself its benign.
Sun/UV well you can mitigate its effects but limiting sun exposure (Garage) is best.

Birds always find my vehicles.One even came into the garage and pooped on the windshield while I was taking the garbage cans to the curb. Like I said, I keep a gallon-sized sprayer in the trunk of everyone of my vehicles. I don't like driving around in a decorated car. Gull guano is nasty.

having cquartz lite on car, i see a strong prewash foam can bring the car to full glory.
literally touchless.
i used before spray sealants=weak... contact wash- a must have..

As buster says, what about a carport? Sun will do serious long term damage but bird poop can do some serious short term damage. If you don't get it off immediately, it will seriously etch the clear coat. It can be fixed with a bit of polish, but it does damage. Tree sap, although soft at first, hardens pretty quickly in the heat and sun and can be hard to remove. If your sun and UV load is not intense and those trees are dropping sap and harboring birds, I would probably reluctantly park it in the sun if I couldn't find a carport.

Back