Which Vehicles Have Simple Engines?

And if not, how far back in time would someone have to go to get a simple engine?
Takes a bit more than a simple engine to get a reliable car. Buying used is always a gamble—and if you are trying to go back this far, you may find all sorts of problems. They may be minor ones, but I’m not sure if you are only worried about engine problems—or full out reliability.

Automatic transmissions are known to be wear items, as is the clutch in a manual transmission car. Buying something 20 years old to avoid engine problems may leave you exposed to suspension and transmission woes, along with wiring.

Never mind the question of, was it even properly taken care of in the first place.

I agree. Back before VVT, a performance cam was always a trade-off between Low end torque and High end performance. VVT solves this issue.

I do agree on not wanting GDI. I think if you actually went back at 100 K miles and did the CAFE standards test, With all the gunk in the intake my guess is most GDI vehicles would do much worse on that test than a MPI vehicle with 100 K. Just an absolute guess on my part of course.

Does the "Easy Spin" compression release on the intake cam lobe count as variable cam timing? Came out in 1961! The old Pulse-Jet carb mounted directly on the gas tank=Direct Injection. Ignition coil mounting holes are slotted to adjust to adjust coil to flywheel distance and the flywheel key sheared when you hit something=Variable Timing. The carbon build-up on head and piston from leaded gas=Variable Compression. Just asking-LOL. I miss those old Briggs.

The Toyota Four Runner is about as old school as you can get, even the 2023 model.
Is the 4-runner still port injected? Toyota went with the dual system in a lot of their vehicles back in 2017. But maybe the 4.0 is still strictly port injected? They do have variable valve timing, with a split system mechanical actuators on the intake side and electric on the exhaust (unless I’m getting that backwards). And I believe the 2023 4-Runner went with a 4 cylinder turbo as their main engine?

Is the 4-runner still port injected? Toyota went with the dual system in a lot of their vehicles back in 2017. But maybe the 4.0 is still strictly port injected? They do have variable valve timing, with a split system mechanical actuators on the intake side and electric on the exhaust (unless I’m getting that backwards). And I believe the 2023 4-Runner went with a 4 cylinder turbo as their main engine?
It's port injected. 2023 does not have a 4-cyl turbo.

Are there any vehicles manufactured today that have the following:
1. Multi-Port Fuel Injection (instead of direct injection)
2. No Cylinder Deactivation
3. No Variable Cam Timing
4. No Variable Valve Lift

And if not, how far back in time would someone have to go to get a simple engine?
Chrysler products with the old 3.3L and 3.8L IMO.

IIRC, 2010 or 2011 was the last years though. In vans, jeeps, etc...

Simple to work on. Timing chain, MPFI, no cylinder deactivation, etc. Plain, simple, and parts everywhere.

You might have to go back to the 3L Duratech V6s or the 2V 5.4 mod motors to get everything on your list...but don't worry, those engines will still be running fine when you find one.

240 and 940 Volvos with the red block SOHC four cylinder engines. Made until ~1995. Simple, reliable and very stout.

1672240237467.jpeg

Are there any vehicles manufactured today that have the following:
1. Multi-Port Fuel Injection (instead of direct injection)
2. No Cylinder Deactivation
3. No Variable Cam Timing
4. No Variable Valve Lift

Basically, you want 90s tech. And 90s performance. Weak, slow, thirsty.

You described my 1990 Toyota 4Runner. Reliable as an anvil.

About as quick.

With a whopping 150 HP from its port injected, OHV straight cam, 3.0 V-6 that lugged the two ton SUV around through a four speed auto while getting 14 city and 17 highway.

0-60 at full throttle was in the 10-15 second range. Never bothered to check, but it was slow.

Is that really what you want?

VVT in my 20 year old Volvos is reliable, and allows the port injected turbo engine to make far more power than the 4Runner, while getting far better MPG. As one of them nears 300,000 miles on the original engine, turbo, and trans, your quest for reliability is answered, but with an interference, VVT, timing belt engine.

The Ford 2.5L N/A for many years has been in many Fusions, Escapes ect. until just recently. No GDI, no turbo, 180 or so HP It does have VVT. My lady friends Fusion with a 145K is still strong and uses no oil.

The Ford 2.5L N/A for many years has been in many Fusions, Escapes ect. until just recently. No GDI, no turbo, 180 or so HP It does have VVT. My lady friends Fusion with a 145K is still strong and uses no oil.
They still put them in the Maverick but you have to get it with the hybrid system. When my dad was in the market for an Escape 2 years ago, I made sure he got one with the 2.5L and neither of the EcoBoost options.

They still put them in the Maverick but you have to get it with the hybrid system. When my dad was in the market for an Escape 2 years ago, I made sure he got one with the 2.5L and neither of the EcoBoost options.
Good job

Back