What would be the V8 Version of a GM 3800 V6?

I'm extremely impressed by the 3800 V6. I keep thinking it would sure be nice to have a V8 version inside a pickup truck.

Is there a GM push rod V8 with a cast iron block, multi port fuel injection, fixed cam timing, roller lifters + rockers, and without cylinder deactivation?

Is there a GM push rod V8 with a cast iron block, multi port fuel injection, fixed cam timing, roller lifters + rockers, and without cylinder deactivation?
The old gen 3 engines and the prior fuel injected vortec's fit the bill. Both the ones in my 03 and 05. The 5.3 and 6.0. Both incredible engines. 330k on my 6.0 since new and zero engine issues aside from typical things like a water pump and a pan gasket but no internals or head gasket. same with the 5.3.

The 3800 is actually based off an aulinum V8 that Buick made in the 60s, eventually sold to Rover, who made it for awhile, so if you can get a Rover V8, that would be the V8 version of the 3800 :unsure:

I'm extremely impressed by the 3800 V6. I keep thinking it would sure be nice to have a V8 version inside a pickup truck.

There is. Look at their crate engine catalog :D

Last edited:
The TBI motors could be long lived. Swap on some Vortec heads and go to town on mods. I want to say, the later Vortec motors were up on power, but the multi-point injector spiders could be problematic, maybe too problematic for what you are after, hence the suggestion of starting with TBI and building what you are after.

Otherwise, shop the LS motors. Some of the 5.3's lacked AFM, not sure what years. But the 4.8 avoided AFM altogether, so put the 4.8 up on the list. Only thing is... I want to say they did get VVT at some point? Still. Early LS motor is I think what you are most looking for, in terms of simplicity and ruggedness/durability.

BUT

They would all have gotten the 4L60's. Which you might be ok with, or you might think is a mixed bag of worms. They clearly can be rebuilt to last, and some lasted huge miles right out of the box--and some didn't make it to the end of the block. At some point the rest of the truck comes into play, as it's no good to have a great motor in something stuck in park.

The 4.8's in the 1500's stuck with 4L60 (4L65?) while 5.3's and bigger got 6L80/6L90/?, so again, shop the package.

something like this

Attachments

• slayed-terminator2.gif
    slayed-terminator2.gif
    6.7 MB · Views: 30
Back