Which vehicle would you take if you could only bring one vehicle, and have to leave (sell) the vehicle when you depart for good?

My Friends Mom Moved to St Mary's Alaska back in 2012, to "Live out her Doctor Quinn, Medicine Woman Fantasies" as her kids put it...
practice medicine on the frontier basically...
St.Mary's is near the Confluence of the Yukon, and Andreafsky Rivers.
Remote enough there are 2 ways in... by air and Water. not on any external road network... vehicles come in on a Ferry up the Yukon River...

at one point, she was going to buy a car back here, and her Son and I were going to Drive it to Seattle, where we would load it onto a Ferry, I would Fly back, and He would continue on with it to St. Mary's, but that never happened.
at first she just had a Quad bike, but after a year or so, bought a used Subaru Forrester. that she turned around and made into a local Taxi... mainly to/from the airport, which is several miles outside town down a dirt road... ( with her Native GF as the "Cabbie")..

Really not sure what happened to that car when she relocated to Hoonah a couple years back, and last i heard, she was looking into Med. opportunities in either Barrow, or Deadhorse...

Last edited:
The famous graph of coolant percentage on the X axis and freeze protection on the Y always shows 66% as the mix for maximum effectiveness.
Flush the windshield sprayers with pure IPA?
Gear lube?

I'd go with the 2015 or the 2019 for the creature comforts. 90% of those made are at least a Lariat trim or higher, which is going to get you heated seats and steering wheel plus all the other bells and whistles. The other 10% is a mix of XLT and XL. Lots of the XLT's will have heated seats too.

Personally, the 2015 6.2 is what I'd gravitate towards. 6.2 gas with the 6 speed is an iconic plant in terms of reliability and power, all of the 6 speed kinks were worked out long before 2015. The dually is probably very nice, but I'd rather have gas.

I'm not sure if your prospect vehicles are ones you currently own...... I think they are but not positive.

Reactions: GON
Alaska_map-L.jpg

You didn't say how far your likely to drive. Usually those places only have so many roads - so you don't need to go all that far. I would call the shop and ask which they stock the most parts for. Then I would take the Toyota and a toolkit anyway.

Welcome to Nunavut!

I can’t imagine someone going through all that unless it was a 7 figure job.

And your wife isn’t wanting a divorce?

I can’t imagine someone going through all that unless it was a 7 figure job.

And your wife isn’t wanting a divorce?
Nick, enjoy your youth. When you turn 60 and need to find work, things change. Not many organizations want to hire a 60-year-old, let alone pay what a 60-year-old thinks they may be worth. I suspect if I was 40-years-old, my employment opportunities would be significantly wider.

The best thing for me to do is start a business, but that is a feasible course of action at this time.

You didn't say how far your likely to drive. Usually those places only have so many roads - so you don't need to go all that far. I would call the shop and ask which they stock the most parts for. Then I would take the Toyota and a toolkit anyway.

Welcome to Nunavut!
Great question, and likely driving a significant distance would be minimal for the majority of the year.

Wiki on Nunavut:

Nunavut_in_Canada_2.svg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nick, enjoy your youth. When you turn 60 and need to find work, things change. Not many organizations want to hire a 60-year-old, let alone pay what a 60-year-old thinks they may be worth. I suspect if I was 40-years-old, my employment opportunities would be significantly wider.

The best thing for me to do is start a business, but that is a feasible course of action at this time.
Is your work contract only and your current contract is ending soon?

Back