WHICH Two-Cycle Oil to Use as an Automotive Add?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Does it have much of a sweet smell to it? The Premium Plus has a light solvent smell to it, but none of the sweetness I typically attribute to esters.[/quote
ekpolk said:
Hard to characterize the odor. It's not as awful as the ST stuff (I had to sneak a whiff at WM, given the comments I'd read in the other thread), but I'm not sure "sweet" is how I'd describe it. Stronger, and different from any oil I've messed with before. The Sta-bil bottle I'm using as a dispenser is in my trunk, tightly capped, x2. When you open the trunk, no doubt the stuff is in there. Thankfully, that odor has not migrated into the passenger compartment.

I bought a gallon of the synthetic TC-W3 tonight and it has a very distinct, sweet, ester smell to it. The synthetic blend smells more like diesel fuel and Vaseline. I think the synthetic blend contains hydrocracked petroleum instead of esters.

CF:

Funny that you say that. I've been occasionally "huffing" this stuff, and trying to figure out whether I would call that odor "sweet" or not. This would, it seems, be an example of that old, "tastes like the smell of xxx" concept. Trying to translate from one sense to another, and then find an appropriate word to describe is a challenge to say the least. Only problem I have with the use of "sweet" to describe the odor of this stuff is that it doesn't exactly inspire me to taste it! But still, I could live with "sweet".
cheers3.gif

The funny thing is that after I sniffed that stuff last night, I went to McDonalds and got a hazelnut iced coffee. Every sip of the stuff tasted like that oil smelled
lol.gif

As I said in the other topic, I got worse results with the Penzoil TC-W3 as compared to Wallyword's SuperTech.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: Vikas
As I said in the other topic, I got worse results with the Penzoil TC-W3 as compared to Wallyword's SuperTech.

- Vikas

But which one? My WM has gallons of both a PZ syn ester version, and a conventional PZ non-syn version. Both are TC-W3, but are clearly targeted to different markets (high-performance engines for the syn, small engines of any type for the non). Also, how are you defining "worse" results? Mileage, NVH, etc.?

The Super Tech blue bottle stuff is about 60% solvents, which should burn more easily than the oil. After I started using the Pennzoil synthetic blend (IIRC, 40% solvents) I decreased my dosage to 640:1 and the engine still runs as good as it did on the Super Tech at 500:1

I picked up Penzoil TC-W3 conventional from Autozone. Walmart had NO TC-W3 of any kind. I had been using 1oz-5gal concentration.

The mileage dropped like a rock. The mixed was about 24mpg and I was looking forward to all highway trip. Unfortunately, that one yielded 21mpg instead of 25+ that I was expecting.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I picked up Penzoil TC-W3 conventional from Autozone. Walmart had NO TC-W3 of any kind. I had been using 1oz-5gal concentration.

The mileage dropped like a rock. The mixed was about 24mpg and I was looking forward to all highway trip. Unfortunately, that one yielded 21mpg instead of 25+ that I was expecting.

- Vikas

Perhaps it's because of all the boating that goes on here, but the WM closest to my house has at least 4-5 different brands of just TC-W3 (a couple more when the other standards are considered). To the left of the automotive oil, there's a section about six feet wide, and floor to ceiling, nothing but 2C oils, pints to gallons. Supertech, Quicksilver, Pennzoil (both syn and conventional), and several others I can't think of at the moment.

It's too bad it hasn't worked out for you. It is a tantalizing question whether there's a functional difference between the ester syn and the conventional for those of us spiking our 4C cars' gasoline. I would presume some difference, or PZ wouldn't bother bother bottling the distinct product (and consumers wouldn't bother paying 2.5x more for the ester...).

In my rx7 I had, I would premix @ 256:1 (1 ounce to 2 gallons) and the tcw-3 would make the engine, especially at idle, much smoother. This was using havoline/texaco from AAP.

One time I used some craftsman tc 2 stroke oil and it noticably ran worse.

I thought the only 4 cycle engine to premix was the rotary, but seeing this thread I might try me some 1oz/5gal in my 4 cylinder after I finish the MMO.

Originally Posted By: Trajan
My understanding is that as long as it's TCW3, the brand doesn't matter.

Not really I use AMSOIL TCW3 and doesn't smell like super-tech tcw3.

I'm pretty sure the least expensive TCW3 oil at a rate of 1 ounce/5 gallons of gas will work just fine. I run it from time to time, and haven't noticed any difference between the cheap stuff WalMart sells, or the more expensive Pennzoil, Johnson, or a synthetic I had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back