WHICH Two-Cycle Oil to Use as an Automotive Add?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a plan. IMO MMO will clean better, and is definitely not as easy to OD the engine if you use to much. Try it and see if there is any difference between the two, either way you won't harm the engine.

Anybody found good long neck measuring bottle to use with it? I don't particularly like using a funnel as the oil sticks to it.

If there is an extension spout to a bottle, it would work great. I see big Stabil bottles which may work but I don't want to buy Stabil just for the bottle.

- Vikas

I've been using MMO instead of my Pennzoil Premium Plus synthetic blend TC-W3 for 2 tanks now. I used to be able to get 26-27mpg out of around-town trips, but with the MMO in I've been lucky to get 24mpg.

Hmmmm. I'm going to switch back to the TC-W3 and see if it improves.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I've been using MMO instead of my Pennzoil Premium Plus synthetic blend TC-W3 for 2 tanks now. I used to be able to get 26-27mpg out of around-town trips, but with the MMO in I've been lucky to get 24mpg.

You maybe using too much MMO,scale back on the dosage and see what happens.

One thing to keep in mind about TC-W3 vs MMO in the oil. The Tc-W3 dose is half that of MMO (as a rule). Certain engines like more of the stuff, smaller 4 cyl engines like less. A good starting point with MMO in the gas is their suggested dose of
4oz/10 gallons of gas. Problem is you work down in dosage from there not up, which is what I was guilty of early on.

Funny thing is now that I've disconnectd my Inverse Oiler on my E-150 after probably 20 years of use, I started adding it to the gas tank. The E-150 runs better with 3 oz/10 gallons of gas vs the 3.0L Aerostar using 4 oz/10 gallons. My point is you do have to fool with the dosage sometimes.

Originally Posted By: c3po

I was using less than the recommended dose. I was doing 500:1

You might have to cut back from there. Or OTOH maybe TC-W3 is better for you. What engine is this for?

I might fool around a little with it since the E-150 has dual tanks, I can dose one with MMO the other with TC-W3. Doubt it will make any difference on the butt dyno, but my bet is the MMO cleans a little better.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
EK,

What mix ratio are you using?

I've decided to go 400:1 at the start, and adjust from there. Since I've got two gallons of the TC-W3 PZ syn, I'll have some time to play with adjustments and see how they go.

+1 I found better mileage with half the dosage recommended by MMO.

The concentration is so low, I don't see any real benefit to improving the quality. ST is about $.10c an oz???

I filled my tank today and put my TC-W3 back in. There's about a 50:50 mix of TC-W3 and MMO at 500:1 in my fuel. I was able to get 27.2mpg tonight.

There's just something about the TC-W3.

500:1 is about 30% less than the recommended dose of MMO. If I went any lower, I doubt I'd have as much added lubrication as my TC-W3 at the same ratio.

I filled my tank today and put my TC-W3 back in. There's about a 50:50 mix of TC-W3 and MMO at 500:1 in my fuel. I was able to get 27.2mpg tonight.

There's just something about the TC-W3.

500:1 is about 30% less than the recommended dose of MMO. If I went any lower, I doubt I'd have as much added lubrication as my TC-W3 at the same ratio.

I read both your posts, the one about driving speed, and this one. It could be in your case that TC-W3 is just working better for you. I'd stick with it! The good news is your findings confirm what others are saying about "Top Oils" in general, they do increase mpg's and offer some benefits. Honestly in these 400:1 and lower concentrations I don't think there is going to be much difference from a high end, high priced Tc-w3 oil, and the cheap Super Tech. But I'm sure in the spirit of BITOG someone will test them and see. With the high prices of fuel these gains add up!

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Anybody found good long neck measuring bottle to use with it? I don't particularly like using a funnel as the oil sticks to it.

If there is an extension spout to a bottle, it would work great. I see big Stabil bottles which may work but I don't want to buy Stabil just for the bottle.

- Vikas

Buy a 10oz Welches Grape Juice container from a Deli. The plastic is very tough and thick. Remove the label and mark the sides with a marker at your dosage. Works great and keeps the residue capped. (Oh, Drink the juice first
wink.gif
)

I dispense fom a UCL quart bottle into a clear Regane container into the tank. Some vehicle fillers require a thin neck dispenser.

A juice cointainer is not the right plastic.

I bought one of the small Lucas Oil UCL containers with the screw on cap to use for adding MMO to my tank, but you could use this for your application. I measured out a dose using a dollar store measuring cup and marked a line on the Lucas bottle with Permanent marker of where the proper dose is. Then I put some clear tape over it so that it won't wear off. Works great.

It's nice because it has a screw on cap that seals nice and tight and doesn't leak, and also it has a long neck which allows you to aim it at the gas-tank hole before any fluid comes out so it doesn't make a mess.

This is what the Lucas bottle looks like:

3140_1292_large.jpg

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I bought one of the small Lucas Oil UCL containers with the screw on cap to use for adding MMO to my tank, but you could use this for your application. I measured out a dose using a dollar store measuring cup and marked a line on the Lucas bottle with Permanent marker of where the proper dose is. Then I put some clear tape over it so that it won't wear off. Works great.

It's nice because it has a screw on cap that seals nice and tight and doesn't leak, and also it has a long neck which allows you to aim it at the gas-tank hole before any fluid comes out so it doesn't make a mess.

This is what the Lucas bottle looks like:

3140_1292_large.jpg

Steve, I do exactly the same thing with an empty 5 ounce bottle of Lucas, you are starting too think like an AMERICAN.

Steve, I do exactly the same thing with an empty 5 ounce bottle of Lucas, you are starting too think like an AMERICAN.

TAKE THAT BACK!!!!!
LOL.gif
08.gif
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back