Which Trans Fluid For The Long Haul?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of the 5 TES-295 rated synthetics, the one that caught my eye was Autran Syn 295. Transynd is made by Castrol for Allison. The parent company of Castrol is BP, which makes Autran Syn 295. The stuff from BP is almost half the price, but minimum order is 5 ga.

The latest Dexron-III spec, (H), is a longer life product. GM claims that it is good for 100,000 miles, vs. 50,000 for Dexron-III(G). The ATF in Yankee's truck will be good for 50,000 miles, easy, unless he causes it to overheat.

About GM's Allison TES-295 spec, the fluid isn't a secret, but Allison charges $50,000 to set up the test rig. Castrol is one of BP's brand names, so there are just 4 makers of TES-295 ATF. Cognis is a German specialty chemical maker, and I don't know if they have their own TES-295 product or just market BP's or ExxonMobil's. Internation Truck sure isn't an oil maker, so they likely also remarket the ATF from BP or EM.

Yes, transmissions and transmission fluid will continue to become more proprietary. When GM brings out their Dexron-VI, they've said it will be backward compatible with Dexron-III in GM transmissions, but we don't know if it will be suitable for non-GM transmissions calling for Dexron-II or -III.

Ken

Ken

if you really want your Suburban to last for the long haul ..add an after market cooler ( assuming it is an auto) and change the fluid every 15-20000 miles ..if it requires a pan drop ..make it easy by adding a drain bolt to the pan on your next fluid change ..you won't regret that one at all
smile.gif
( then just change the filter at the factory recommended inteval ..better yet buy a inline filter ( see our site sponser list)

My GM car has a "lifetime" AT fluid but I'm not believing that for a minute.

Others have already given you the best advice - fit a big external cooler and external filter, then full fluid change every 20K miles. Use the fluid that has been extensively tested in that transmission - the GM fluid or an aftermarket direct equivalent (not a Multi or Universal compromise). Fit a temperature gauge if you want to check the cooling. My external filter mount has a built in temperature sender.

I just replaced the AT filter on my '99 Dodge Caravan last weekend and will open the can and check the filter element later this week. Hopefully it's really clean. The 20K miles fluid was like new.

quote:

Originally posted by burnout:
Since when in recent years has a suburban been available with a manual... Its automatic.

Being that I don't track every option available on every car every year ..you tell me how the bloody heck should I know \!!!!!!

Good thing we have you around as the Suburban expert...are you updated on the Tahoe as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back