Which to keep?

Plus kids cant text when they drive manuals.
I watched my friend forward through a few songs he didn’t want to listen too on his phone with his left hand, while shifting with his right hand that also had a sandwich in it all while his eyes never left the road. A manual transmission doesn’t mean you can’t text...

If you keep the 11 and it has no tow rating, what would you pull the utility trailer with?

Can you borrow the CRV for those duties, or just use the 11 Camry anyway?
The 11 can probably pull the trailer fine, but Toyota, wisely, does not want to approve a light duty FWD MT for towing and face higher warranty expenditures for burned up clutches.

Toyota probably also knows that people who would buy a manual Camry are also more likely to do something like tow with a Camry. Best to just wash their hands by saying no.

Sounds like the right thing is to flip the ‘99 and move on, I got what I wanted from it (a cheap beater). Run the ‘11 but plan to flipping that before long too, as again I got what I wanted from it. I might have to throw some quick struts at it though, just to get by, along with a stereo (just to get BT).

Not sure what I’d replace it with. Probably a newer Camry.

I anticipate many, "get rid of both and buy this," posts.
So I did exactly this, got rid of my 05 prius with 303k and my 06 with 277k. Made MAD money due to the current used car situation.

Got a new Prius Prime-- they have a $5000 Toyota rebate (in New England) and $4502 federal tax credit. Dealer knocked another couple thousand off MSRP. $176xx after all the rebates, doc fees, before state taxes. If you don't like plugging them in you can use them as a "regular prius." You like toyotas and economy, why not? You only need a $4502 federal tax liability in a single year to fully make the numbers.

A prius is a midsize car now. Of course the camry is technically full-size. The prius "CVT" has seven moving parts and a great reputation. Not sure about camry trannies now.

All that said, the 1999 body style is the best brick outhouse Toyota ever made. Dump the 2011 and eventually get another 1999 from down south and use your old one for parts when it rusts out.

Last edited:
Ok, I convinced the wife to at least consider the Prius, Prime or not. If it’s got a green color then she’ll consider it.

In what has to be one of the oddest things, she informed me of one of her wants on this: it’d be nice if it accommodated a tutu. It’s about 3 or 4’ in diameter and does not take kindly to being squished or folded. It’s not a requirement but it’s rather high on the wants, to be able to accomodate that. It fits in her Camry, so I’m guessing it’d fit in a Prius. I know people have put bicycles into ‘em.

Ok, I convinced the wife to at least consider the Prius, Prime or not. If it’s got a green color then she’ll consider it.

In what has to be one of the oddest things, she informed me of one of her wants on this: it’d be nice if it accommodated a tutu. It’s about 3 or 4’ in diameter and does not take kindly to being squished or folded. It’s not a requirement but it’s rather high on the wants, to be able to accomodate that. It fits in her Camry, so I’m guessing it’d fit in a Prius. I know people have put bicycles into ‘em.
Where have you been seeing the Camry comes in green? This is what I found:

Galactic aqua mica For the Camry.

Edit: Prius has a “magnetic blue” which looks rather teal like and might fit the Bill.

Last edited:

I'm shocked how much fits in a Prius. We had an ancient giant picture tube type tv. We gave it away - in semi working condition.

A guy in a Prius took it away with no problem.

My 2nd gen prius held more than my Prime. The oversized battery takes a decent chunk out of the luggage area.

But go look at the things and see how desperate they are to dump 'em.

Lose the 99 for sure. Airbags. 'nuf said.

The 11 with a manual would be an easy keep we for me. Actually crashes well according to functional research done by IIHS.org. Also, I really like manual transmissions.

If neither suits you then sell both and get a more modern car with all the bags, good crash scores and fits in your budget.

Lose the 99 for sure. Airbags. 'nuf said.

The 11 with a manual would be an easy keep we for me. Actually crashes well according to functional research done by IIHS.org. Also, I really like manual transmissions.

If neither suits you then sell both and get a more modern car with all the bags, good crash scores and fits in your budget.
Not sure about supton's 99', but my 00' Camry has side airbags.

Oh dear god, the wife decided to set up an appointment to test drive one. No Prius Primes in state, I guess we have to drive to MA if we really want to test drive one... but she can drive a regular Prius in NH. She says the sales guy wasn't too clear on it, I guess no-emissions states get first dibs on Primes.

However: while on the phone, asking about how quiet the Prius was as compared to the Camry, the sales guy kept pushing her into the RAV4 hybrid. Which she doesn't want. But he kept circling back to the RAV.

So now I get to spend my day on the dealer lot. Great.

It actually wasn't that bad. I was worried about what kind of sales guy he'd be, but he was pretty nice, and the guy she talked to on the phone was fine in person. And... I kinda sat back and they did not get sexist, they were clearly talking to her about what she wanted in a car. It was a pretty good experience.

Anyhow. Drove both the Prius and a Camry Hybrid. I liked the Camry more, but she thinks she likes the Prius more. Smaller car, which is the feel she wants. Feels a bit more spacious inside too. I think it had a gray ceiling as opposed to black in the Camry? More noise though, which was part of why she liked it: the Camry is very quiet, but the electric motors at times had both of us looking for the fire engine. Various incentives do make the Prius Prime a better deal, no doubt, so it would come down to what she likes best. But she isn't sure, the Prius does feel like a step down from the Camry, and it clearly has less space in the truck, so...

We'll see.

They actually offered $1,500-2k for our '11 Camry. I was kinda surprised.

Prime Toyota in Saco ME has a bunch of Primes, and the dealer group is all over New England. Maybe they can do a transfer/delivery to a NH dealer so you can skip the sales tax?

My Prime is actually more peppy in electric mode, due to poor programming of the drive-by-wire. But you won't find a charged one to test drive. They are doing terribly at marketing the things! You can "force charge" them off the gas motor for a few minutes by holding down the HV/EV button.

Prii have "noise emitters" to warn pedestrians when they drop below ~22 mph.

Ah, I wonder if that's what we were noticing. I recall hearing something in reverse, but perhaps what she was hearing was that (it was towards the limit of my hearing).

She's still mulling it over. Doesn't like the idea of going down a grade--her stripper Camry is still a full size, and usually one doesn't go for the model with more road noise and less acceleration.

Starting to lean towards... keeping both? Seems really odd, but perhaps keep both until one breaks and/or something changes. Neither has much value, but perhaps have value to me. Push come to shove, drive one while the other is in the shop, that sort of thing.

Back