which synthetic oil in 2018 F-150 5.0L engine

There actually is benefit, as the 12:0:1 Gen 3 5.0 relies on knock sensors to continue to advance timing until knock is detected. The Gen 3 5.0s do make more than their rated power on 93 octane.
Yup, same with the 3.5 ecoboost. The current gen will gain like 30 rwhp on 93 vs 87

SuperTech 5W-30 synthetic and a SuperTech filter changed following the OLM. Meets all the specs you need. Less than $20 every 10k.

Additionally, no need to run 93 octane in that truck. No benefit at all. Use regular and sleep well with extra money in your pocket.
Takes 8 quarts. Or 7.75 to be exact. But still a solid deal. I’m debating using it in my 2016 5.0.

Something must have changed since the days of my old BMW then, at the time BMW stated that the replacement Alusil blocks were much more expensive than the Nikasil coated ones they initially used.

Or maybe I'm just not remembering correctly and only remembering the total cost to BMW to re-engine those cars.
Wait, BMW re-engined your BMW, or ALL BMW's? Why?
I have ALWAYS liked the 7 Series. That's one beautiful piece of machinery!

Wait, BMW re-engined your BMW, or ALL BMW's? Why?
I have ALWAYS liked the 7 Series. That's one beautiful piece of machinery!
Yes they re-engined all BMW M60 equipped cars back in the 90s. The (then) relatively high sulfur content of North American (and elsewhere) gasoline damaged the Nikasil cylinder bore coatings at the top of the bore. They removed those engines and installed a new engine with an Alusil block. It cost BMW a load of money. My old 530i was one of the affected cars.

I don't think it was. From what I had heard the DFSO reprogramming fixed it.

That said, I am not sure why they wouldnt run 5W-30 in any 5.0 regardless. With the amount of RPM's they can spin and the the need to spin them(torque comes in higher) it seems like a no brainer to me.
My fiancé's son owns a 2014 F150 with the 5.0 and he has run nothing but 5W-20 Motorcraft blend in it since new. He also goes by the OLM which typically tells him to change it between 9,500-10,000 miles. His has about 206,000 miles on it and other than having to have the timing components replaced at around 190,000 miles, his engine has been flawless. Granted, most of his mileage comes from driving long distances.

I've not seen any definitive long term testing that shows 5W-30 being any better over the 5W-20. If anyone has any info like this, I would like to see it.

Yes they re-engined all BMW M60 equipped cars back in the 90s. The (then) relatively high sulfur content of North American (and elsewhere) gasoline damaged the Nikasil cylinder bore coatings at the top of the bore. They removed those engines and installed a new engine with an Alusil block. It cost BMW a load of money. My old 530i was one of the affected cars.
When I lived in FL. the Shell gas stations were having to replace engines for the same problem. I don't quite remember all of the details behind it, but my company issued me a new gas card (from Shell to Chevron) for my company truck.

most of the 530s and 540s i parted didn’t have replacement engines. you can check on the stamping above the water passage/block drain plug. the cars that had new engines usually started life in the south, they had a really bad sulfur problem back in the day.

the C4 ZR1s and turbo porsches never suffered from the same issues as the jag and bmw v8, probably better block prep or something else.

Last edited:
My fiancé's son owns a 2014 F150 with the 5.0 and he has run nothing but 5W-20 Motorcraft blend in it since new. He also goes by the OLM which typically tells him to change it between 9,500-10,000 miles. His has about 206,000 miles on it and other than having to have the timing components replaced at around 190,000 miles, his engine has been flawless. Granted, most of his mileage comes from driving long distances.

I've not seen any definitive long term testing that shows 5W-30 being any better over the 5W-20. If anyone has any info like this, I would like to see it.

if you are not towing then its probably ok.

But even Ford puts 5W-50 in track pack versions of the Mustang 5.0, which are literally identical to the one in the trucks, while the regular mustang Gt gets 5W-20. So there must be a reason. If i was towing and running my 5.0 at high rpm for extended time, I would not be using 5W-20

But even Ford puts 5W-50 in track pack versions of the Mustang 5.0, which are literally identical to the one in the trucks, while the regular mustang Gt gets 5W-20. So there must be a reason. If i was towing and running my 5.0 at high rpm for extended time, I would not be using 5W-20
He tows his 19ft Ranger bass boat with it as well as a 20ft car hauler trailer that he hauls his 900 Razr UTV on. He runs this truck hard and has since it was new. When it was having the timing issues and he was on the road out of town, he got pissed and intentionally tried to blow it up. It didn't happen and after the repair, the truck runs great with no apparent ill effects.

I still run 5W-20 Motorcraft blend in my 2014 Mustang GT. I only have 33,000 miles on it but the engine runs great with no unusual noises or oil consumption. I don't run this car hard and doubt I will ever put enough miles on it to see if running a 5W-20 hurts the engine.

Because viscosity is relative to temperature and the factory derate is set at 302F for oil temp in a track pack. This is to reduce instances of going into limp mode at the track and the viscosity is needed for continuous 300F sump temps. Your engine towing will never get there. If memory serves you will derate at 248F.

Last edited:
It doesn't carry Ford specs but SuperTech is API SP, ILSAC GF-6 AND dexos d1G2.
If you look at the Product data sheet from Warren, Supertech FS also meets (the newest) Ford and Chrysler's specs. Attached is for SP rated Supertech Full Synthetic

Why they don't put these certs on their bottles is absolutely beyond me. I guess the Dexos cert gives them the big shiny logo to use as advertising?

Attachments

• Super Tech Full Synthetic 5W30 5qt - WMC53F3Q - WM#4211671.pdf
    53.6 KB · Views: 33
Because viscosity is relative to temperature and the factory derate is set at 302F for oil temp in a track pack. This is to reduce instances of going into limp mode at the track and the viscosity is needed for continuous 300F sump temps. Your engine towing will never get there. If memory serves you will derate at 248F.
I was not suggesting he run 5W-50 though. Merely that the engines can get hot towing and will run a lot of RPM for extended periods. Have you ever towed a travel trailer, even a light one, into a 30 mph headwind. That 5.0 would be working extremely hard without a break.

I've logged the radiator outlet temps on my Ecoboost and if I am ~230F coolant temps my radiator outlet is 205-210. Since that is what is cooling the oil, I can expect the oil is somewhere north of that. I have had people on the Ecoboost forums with upgraded radiators and external oil cooler report 260F+ oil temps. So I would expect the stock trucks run hotter than that. The 5.0 probably runs a little cooler than an Ecoboost but I wouldn't be assuming its that much cooler.

Also, according to the 2018 5.0 F150 tune I am looking at right now in HPTuners, the derate starts at 280°F oil temps.

Even towing with a 5.0 and the 10 speed transmission you will barely crack 2000-2500 RPM.

Back