Which synthetic is running the most ZDDP ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: License2ILL
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
If you're looking for a synthetic 30-weight street oil with high zddp, there are not a lot of them out there. Redline I think makes the ones with the highest-content additive packages and have the highest film strength for a given viscosity class.
But since your 1995 Camaro has a roller follower valvetrain, why are you looking for a high-zddp oil?

Thanks great info...i'll rummage over the Brad Penn oil as well. Altho I am very much sold on the Redline.

The LT1 does have a roller camshaft...but the ZDDP can still serve it well. I'm reading up mostly but I do respect the manufacturers additive packages from their factories. So just wanted to be aware of options. As well as I definitely do not agree that converters should have been a good enough reason to lower what the oil industry had in it's previous formulas. It's an alteration with a stupid reasoning behind it...likely mostly to cover the arses of the warranty periods involved and nothing more. That raises a flag to me and the better interest's of my "old faithful". So let's just say I don't want to necessarily go with their flow. And my engine is close family to older designs IMO.

Since your Camaro is a '95, the engine was designed to work with API SH oil. This was the last spec before zddp limits started to drop. For 30-weight oils, the P limit was 1200ppm. 40-weights and above had no limit. Then in 1997, API SJ was implemented with a limit of 1000ppm for 20's and 30's, and still no requirement for 40's & 50's. SJ coincided with the coming of OBD II engine management systems which did monitor catalyst performance, so it was probably no accident that the zddp limit was cut. The next cut came in 2004 with SM, which limited P to a range of 600-800ppm for 20's & 30's, and still no limits for 40-up. I have thought for some time that the minimum limit was included as a tacit admission by the API that the lower safe limit of wear protection was being reached.

Originally Posted By: steve20
gotta love that LT-1 motor I have one in a 95 Corvette 6 speed.

Here's a tip though, this is a message board, not a texting board-abbreviations like u for you and 2 for two are not always considered polite

Most of all it is gear talk tho..or more precisely lube talk. Definitively not grammar talk. As for politeness or not? i think the bigger question would be "sensitivity" in your case.
I don't recall using 2 becuz it can be confused with to or two or too...so I find it inefficient. But i do use the U from time to time sparingly.
Its possible that whom I was addressing "dailydriver" may find your public servant defense role a kind and sensitive gesture. It's also very nice for you to kindly step off and allow his legal dept to handle his grammatical defenses/offenses.

I'd like to go back to topic now though. I will take your sensitivity and emotions into consideration. As we do agree the LT-1 is pseudo cool still.(easily bested by Ls1)

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
License2ILL said:
A_Harman said:
Since your Camaro is a '95, the engine was designed to work with API SH oil. This was the last spec before zddp limits started to drop. For 30-weight oils, the P limit was 1200ppm. 40-weights and above had no limit. Then in 1997, API SJ was implemented with a limit of 1000ppm for 20's and 30's, and still no requirement for 40's & 50's. SJ coincided with the coming of OBD II engine management systems which did monitor catalyst performance, so it was probably no accident that the zddp limit was cut. The next cut came in 2004 with SM, which limited P to a range of 600-800ppm for 20's & 30's, and still no limits for 40-up. I have thought for some time that the minimum limit was included as a tacit admission by the API that the lower safe limit of wear protection was being reached.

Again great info. To make certain I am understanding you, you are stating that as of 95 status the engine did have it's design based around the usage of "normal" old school oil. So all though the level of zinc and phosphorus can be argued all day long as needed or not. The original intentions by GM were to run this with older school levels.

Thanks again. It's tough to beat Redline they responded via email they have great levels of all 3 actually(moly as well)outside of pricing and not being conveniently local. The levels are exactly as many of you have mentioned and as other postings with VOA.

Do you guys think it would be worthwhile to blackstone my current oil?? (4500mi roughly)and then run one later using the redline?
I was considering it....not because 25 bucks are burning a hole in my pocket...just because it'd be nice to know and do a comparison.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Originally Posted By: steve20
gotta love that LT-1 motor I have one in a 95 Corvette 6 speed.
Here's a tip though, this is a message board, not a texting board-abbreviations like u for you and 2 for two are not always considered polite

I hate lt engine, after owning a ls1 engine, never look back, im selling my lt1 camaro atm.

The Ls1 is by far a champ in output and design. I hope to one day transplant it into my LT1 body style as I oppose the later years. And the 5th gen is rather boaty IMO...but I do see plenty of appeal in it.

It is with a later design engine transplant in mind and the desire to see how far I can spin this Gen1 block that fuels my desire to run synthetic and buy the oem block and myself some more time. To stack up the bucks involved for a later upgrade.
Altho supercharging also has crossed my mind many times...now if I could find one that I could take off this setup and carryover to an LS transplant...then I would consider it more seriously. But losing the SC after upgrading the engine later would be a write off better not invested on in the first place.

Last edited:
How do u like it in the T56? U like that weight? I run the stock recom. stuff with Lucas manual. But I really need to refresh this gearbox.

Right now, I am running the Amsoil MTF Synchromesh fluid for a change, and it has been great so far, but not any better/smoother shifting than the RL D4. It being slightly thicker than the D4 made me think it could possibly give better gear protection/cushioning in the hotter weather, but the D4 was PERFECT in the winter/colder ambients.

Their street oils have also been perfect for me, and the only other ones I might be willing to try would be Motul 300V (my local safety equipment dealer only stocks the 15W-50 weight for track bound Porschies, and can only get our 5W-30/10W-40 weights in case lots of 12 2 liter! cans, so that's pretty much out
frown.gif
), Torco SR5 ($16.00- $19.00/liter- OUCH!!), or maybe Mobil 1 0W-40, or the 'CATERHAM MIX'.

Their power steering fluid is spot on, and used by more open track peeps than about anything else.
wink.gif

Their gear oil is good, but I may go to Amsoil Severe Gear 190 to try and quiet down my screaming (on decel, on the highway) 10 bolt r&p.

The Ls1 is by far a champ in output and design. I hope to one day transplant it into my LT1 body style as I oppose the later years. And the 5th gen is rather boaty IMO...but I do see plenty of appeal in it.

The LT1/LT4 are pretty good in their own right, except for the Opti-youknowwhat (easy enough fix; convert to LSx type coil-near-plug), and the weight of the iron block.
Ironically, almost all of those going to CRAZY HIGH boost forced induction setups on an LSx type engine are using an iron block anyway.

Again great info. To make certain I am understanding you, you are stating that as of 95 status the engine did have it's design based around the usage of "normal" old school oil. So all though the level of zinc and phosphorus can be argued all day long as needed or not. The original intentions by GM were to run this with older school levels.

Thanks again. It's tough to beat Redline they responded via email they have great levels of all 3 actually(moly as well)outside of pricing and not being conveniently local. The levels are exactly as many of you have mentioned and as other postings with VOA.

Do you guys think it would be worthwhile to blackstone my current oil?? (4500mi roughly)and then run one later using the redline?
I was considering it....not because 25 bucks are burning a hole in my pocket...just because it'd be nice to know and do a comparison.

Yes, in general, the API specifications are developed in conjunction with engine manufacturers as new engines are being developed. You can at least be comfortable that the engine was designed to run with the 1200ppm P content, and use that as a guide to selecting an oil.

My opinion on UOA's is that they are nice if you are running a truck fleet or are monitoring the condition of an expensive, highly-stressed race engine. But they are a commitment. You can't just take one UOA, and get stressed-out about any particular level of wear metals. It takes at least three UOA's over consistent change intervals with the same oil to know what the stable levels of wear metals is with your engine. Then if a particular value spikes, you have a baseline to decide whether or not that reading indicates a problem.

It depends on how much of an oil nerd you want to be. There are people on this site that want to squeeze the last penny of value out of every oil change, and do UOA's to tell them when to change the oil. Others here don't want to obsess about it that much, and want to buy the "best" oils, then change it according to the manufacturer's recommendations.

It is with a later design engine transplant in mind and the desire to see how far I can spin this Gen1 block that fuels my desire to run synthetic and buy the oem block and myself some more time. To stack up the bucks involved for a later upgrade.
Altho supercharging also has crossed my mind many times...now if I could find one that I could take off this setup and carryover to an LS transplant...then I would consider it more seriously. But losing the SC after upgrading the engine later would be a write off better not invested on in the first place.

Before I bought my LS1 Camaro, I had an LT1. I liked it a lot, and in some ways liked the driveability better than the LS1. I could go through the gears more quickly and smoothly with the LT1. The LS1 rpm doesn't drop as quickly between gears, forcing me to slow down my shifting.

But I do like the higher power at high rpm, the lower weight of the aluminum block in the front of the car, and the bigger front brakes that come with the LS1 cars. My Camaro has been a reliable and speedy track car for 162,000 miles, and I don't have any plans to replace it. I will admit that I have sat in a 5th-Gen and it did fit me well. On the other hand, it's too bulky, 300 pounds too heavy, and has poor visibility out of the "gun-slit" windows. But I don't doubt that it would be faster around a track than my 4th-Gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back