Which Subarus are head gasket eaters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Artemedes

Mine also had the HG fixed. They told me that they have revised the HG and they replaced it with a better one.

The original is a single layer, the updated part is a multiple layer gasket...if you look at the head gasket (engine in the car), you can actually see the layers of the head gasket.

Mine was replaced (1997 Outback) at 54k...has 122k on it right now without a hitch.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Yeah I'm not happy.
mad.gif

The problem is my wife HATES minivans and we need some type of a wagon. I like the car over all (have a few items that I don't like) and it really does drive and perform well in all seasons which the wife needs since she is on the road well before any plows come out.

(which seems to be less and less with excuses like the economy... another gripe)
33.gif

I really wish that Honda or Toyota would come out with a real wagon that was reasonable in price. Since they have neither and the choices are limited in a true wagon...

I'm spose to go back to the dealership for the UV test and then see where they want to go with it from here. Just trying to find time these last few weeks... (the local (only) Subaru dealership is 40 miles away. The next closer one is 55 miles away)

Hopefully they can fix it and it *never* comes back.

I sorta doubt it...
smirk2.gif

Thanks, bill

Hey keep us updated on what happens. I have an 07 N/A 2.5L, there are no subaru dealerships on island and it gets me a little paranoid. My 30,000 mile mark is comming up soon.

Now passing 32000 on my 2007 model 2.5i SE Impreza. I have no leaks. I dont want any either :)

Subaru's are awesome cars, the head gasket issue is pretty much the only issue. If you're handy with some wrenches the SOHC gaskets aren't too tough to change so if it's out of warranty the cost is low. Any leaks usually give lots of warning if you check your levels so it's fairly rare to ruin the engine. I really miss the old EJ22 though, that engine was totally bullet proof. I still have an old 92 Legacy with that motor, our 99 Forester has a SOHC 2.5 that is just starting to leak. I guess a gasket change in the spring will fix that and it should be good for another 100,000 or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back