Subaru Head Gasket Options

Gee that's great Dan, I own three Toyotas myself, great cars. And you keep grabbing the last word, off topic no less, so that means you win.

MRC01 I agree with your assessment after the pressure test you have nothing to lose to add the 4 oz of the coolant treatment and keep driving the car. Double check all the connections on the pressure test kit even if it's new. If you change the oil and don't see any coolant in the used oil I think you're all set. It's hard to miss. The testing lab is a cheap way to ease your mind though. Start measuring the rate you are losing coolant if it slows way down, maybe just call it a day. If the used oil looks OK and the coolant overflow tank isn't soupy looking you are winning the battle. Good luck whatever happens.

As I mentioned earlier, there is no oil in the coolant, nor coolant in the oil, by tactile or visual examination. So whatever leaks are happening are tiny with trace amounts. Which looks like the kind of situation that the SCC can handle, if I'm lucky.
I will report the UOA results here, when I have them.

At long last, here's the oil report. Since adding the SCC and driving it a few hundred miles, the coolant is no longer being consumed. Looks like I got lucky, this engine is healthy and I can defer the head gasket replacement.
1601476757559.png

Our 2004 Forester has 100k miles, almost time to replace the timing belt. I suspect the head gaskets have a tiny pin-hole leak, because it's been gradually consuming coolant for the past 5 years or so. No bubbles in the radiator, no contamination in the overflow tank, no funky exhaust smell, or other obvious symptoms. So it must be a tiny leak. I always check and stay on top of it, so it's never gone low or overheated.

Other than this, it still runs like new. Good power, fuel economy, etc. Burns about 1 qt. of oil per 2k to 3k miles, and always has since new. And I've owned it since new, so I know its condition and history. If the timing belt & head gaskets were replaced, it's got a good chance to do another 100k miles.

Normally I'd do the timing belt myself, but since it needs new head gaskets I'll probably take it to the shop. They're quoting about $4k out the door: labor, parts, tax, etc. for the timing belt & head gaskets, including new pulleys, tensioner, water pump, t-stat etc. That's expensive enough I'm wondering if it's worth getting an overhauled crate engine. The shop says they used to do that, but the crate engines had so many problems they stopped doing this.

Any advice, or other options I should consider?

Sounds about right for the price. An old 05 was about $3500 7 or so years ago. If it's super minimal, I'd ask "how do I use the car?" and if it's not on long road trips without cell signal, I'd probably wait until it's using more than a tiny bit or I notice oil & coolant mixing. But depends on how worried your are and what you use it for. Sounds like you watch the levels, so you shouldn't run low hopefully. Maybe buy some cheap measuring cups track how much you have to add per month or something?

Back