Which race oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, i've been told to run 20w-50 either Joe Gibbs, Brad Penn, or Valvoline race oil. Is there any other substitute I can use over these brands to save some cost? Could I run Rotella or something similar with a zinc additive? I run a dirt modified car. Also, curious for info on racing oil filters, powerglide transmission fluid, and rear gear lube. Thanks

Also, what's wrong with Brad Penn or Valvoline race oil? With oil costing what it does these days, those two aren't that bad on the pocketbook right now?

Mobil 1 15w-50 at Walmart is what most people seem to use. Highly regarded oil.

You want to save cost? Here's an idea. Run a QUALITY race lube with excellent oil and air filtration and then run it longer than one or two races. Quality oils hold up longer and only reason to change oils every race or two is fuel dilution or other contamination. Find out through oil analysis when to change your lubes. I would be using oil from Brad Penn, Schaeffers, Amsoil, or Redline. If fuel contamination is a problem, then use a Valvoline conventional race oil for less money.

I'm with bmwtechguy on this one, I used to compete(pit crew) at a NASCAR-sanctioned 1/2 mile asphalt track in the late model class. We always used Valvoline racing, but we had to change it every weekend as the used oil would get enough fuel contamination that it came out smelling just like the racing fuel!

MT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back