Which one for my Rav4?

07F20181-4907-4148-A273-9661E71B73CF.jpeg

I got this two 90915 oil filters from Toyota for our Rav4 2019. Both fit Dynamic Force engine 2.5L. Although one is significantly larger the small one has bigger drainage holes.
This is going to be it’s first synthetic oil after a brake in period of 10k kms with two or three oil changes with Toyota’s own 5w30 from dealer.
Live in the tropic so basically weather here is hot 🥵 I’m thinking in using 5w30 Mobil super synthetic and one of this new filters.
Because of the so little use this suv sees and the short drives all the time, the smaller filter with larger draining holes guess can be a better option. What do you think?
What about the oil, 0W20 is the only option available in the zone, no 0W16.
Thinner oil helps with mileage, but I already have a good mileage, would it be better with thinner oil? At 100 f ?

Welcome to Dante's sump hope your flash point isn't too low. You said tropic so where are you located exactly

Well you bought both so I'd use either but i typically choose the longer one and go an extra interval. The short one is equivalent to the ph4967 and the longer is the ph4386. How much do they cost where you're at.

The 2.5 DF engine outside of the US is permitted to run from 16 to a 40 grade. The previous generation ran 20 to a 50 grade. Deleted the British Toyota pdf's or I'd paste them right now.

Go ahead and use a 5 or better yet a 10w-30. I was just checking a lot of pdf's from Pennzoil, Quaker state, and Valvoline and the 10w-30's have a higher flash point and higher hths while usually being thinner in the kv100 at the same time so there a little less thick than the 5w-30 version. I'm trying to find a new oil to put in my new suv that's still on the free dealer 0w-20 fill. I may go 10w-30 since it never hits below 27f here. I'll most likely go with 10w-30 since it has better shear, hths and flash and the low vi index shows.. Because you live in a hot area use a 10w-30.

A 20 grade is 8cst while a 30 is 10cst. You'll see like 0.01 mpg loss. But having 3.2+ hths is a good thing and I'd never worry about moft. 0w-20 has a 2.6 hths. That engine isn't known for lspi and is dual injected with no turbo. You can use a euro or diesel rated oil as well.

It’s nearly new. I’d use either.

Maybe save the longer one for when its older?

The 8 "inlet" holes, on either filter, are more than enough for a positive displacement oil pump. The center hole is the output. I have always preferred a bigger oil filter. Both are Toyota spec'd but they are different part numbers.

Bigger one if it fits! I'm using 5-30 in my kid's 08 4cyl Rav4 and I'm in the Northeast. I would look into a 5-30 synthetic.

Both will work. No need for a 0 winter oil in the tropics 5w20,30 and 10w30 will provide good fuel economy

I'm not sure the larger one will fit. I've been running YZZF2 filters in my 2020 RAV4 and there is not a lot of room. I use a cap wrench with a ratcheting wrench. There isn't room for a ratchet and socket on the end of the cap wrench.

It’s nearly new. I’d use either.

Maybe save the longer one for when its older?
Why would that be when the most engine wear occurs [all thing equal] , will be when the engine is new and when it is at the end of its life.

Welcome to Dante's sump hope your flash point isn't too low. You said tropic so where are you located exactly

Well you bought both so I'd use either but i typically choose the longer one and go an extra interval. The short one is equivalent to the ph4967 and the longer is the ph4386. How much do they cost where you're at.

The 2.5 DF engine outside of the US is permitted to run from 16 to a 40 grade. The previous generation ran 20 to a 50 grade. Deleted the British Toyota pdf's or I'd paste them right now.

Go ahead and use a 5 or better yet a 10w-30. I was just checking a lot of pdf's from Pennzoil, Quaker state, and Valvoline and the 10w-30's have a higher flash point and higher hths while usually being thinner in the kv100 at the same time so there a little less thick than the 5w-30 version. I'm trying to find a new oil to put in my new suv that's still on the free dealer 0w-20 fill. I may go 10w-30 since it never hits below 27f here. I'll most likely go with 10w-30 since it has better shear, hths and flash and the low vi index shows.. Because you live in a hot area use a 10w-30.

A 20 grade is 8cst while a 30 is 10cst. You'll see like 0.01 mpg loss. But having 3.2+ hths is a good thing and I'd never worry about moft. 0w-20 has a 2.6 hths. That engine isn't known for lspi and is dual injected with no turbo. You can use a euro or diesel rated oil as well.
Thank you JavierH19, and all for your answers!
I live in Mazatlán, Sinaloa. Mexico and used to drive north to Arizona, and had planed to travel a lot with my Toyota when we bought it new in 2019, but this **** came and we hardly move the dynamic force, actually is becoming dynamic bored. But Mazatlan is warm enough during the summer, now we are having a beautiful winter, fresh with sun, beautiful.

Back to motor oil, I already bought a Mobil super syntetic 5W30, that is the same weight it used in the brake in period by local Toyota dealer, Mobil oil Mexico webpage recommends 0w20, but thought use this 5W30 to wash off the Dino oil and start using Mobil 1 0W20 or 5W30, although your recommendations make a lot of sense, Thank You!

Smaller filter 90915-YZZN1bought at local Toyota for $5 USD a hundred pesos, and the larger got from Las Vegas by Amazon.com cost me $9 plus shipping $1million, but was the only way to get it, I bought two.

Last edited:
Why would that be when the most engine wear occurs [all thing equal] , will be when the engine is new and when it is at the end of its life.
I’m not sure that the metal wearing off will be caught in the filter, very tiny in diam, and Toyota filters are not know for their fine filtration. Any casting flash or sand left behind won’t plug up a filter, if there was that much then the engine was doomed anyhow.

But as the engine gets old, sludge builds up, then starts to reach a level were it might break away and then be caught in the filter. Unlikely on something with frequent oci’s with good oil, but perhaps more likely, especially when it gets closer to the end and one stops caring so much about the vehicle (and starts letting the oci go longer).

I'm not sure the larger one will fit. I've been running YZZF2 filters in my 2020 RAV4 and there is not a lot of room. I use a cap wrench with a ratcheting wrench. There isn't room for a ratchet and socket on the end of the cap wrench.
how large is YZZF2 ?
YZZF1 is 3 1/2 inches

Attachments

• IMG_1910.jpg
    IMG_1910.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 14
I’m not sure that the metal wearing off will be caught in the filter, very tiny in diam, and Toyota filters are not know for their fine filtration. Any casting flash or sand left behind won’t plug up a filter, if there was that much then the engine was doomed anyhow.

But as the engine gets old, sludge builds up, then starts to reach a level were it might break away and then be caught in the filter. Unlikely on something with frequent oci’s with good oil, but perhaps more likely, especially when it gets closer to the end and one stops caring so much about the vehicle (and starts letting the oci go longer).
Interesting... what oil-filter combo would you recommend? Thank you

I haven't been there to be honest, just try to be prepare for the occasion, thank you!

Since you already bought them and you'll eventually use both it shouldn't matter. Pick one and use the 0W20 oil.
Thank you Warstud, the same says Mobil.com, and I really want to see this 2.5 work on thinner oil, I guess engine will become noiser, or not?

Thank you JavierH19, and all for your answers!
I live in Mazatlán, Sinaloa. Mexico and used to drive north to Arizona, and had planed to travel a lot with my Toyota when we bought it new in 2019, but this **** came and we hardly move the dynamic force, actually is becoming dynamic bored. But Mazatlan is warm enough during the summer, now we are having a beautiful winter, fresh with sun, beautiful.

Back to motor oil, I already bought a Mobil super syntetic 5W30, that is the same weight it used in the brake in period by local Toyota dealer, Mobil oil Mexico webpage recommends 0w20, but thought use this 5W30 to wash off the Dino oil and start using Mobil 1 0W20 or 5W30, although your recommendations make a lot of sense, Thank You!

Smaller filter 90915-YZZN1bought at local Toyota for $5 USD a hundred pesos, and the larger got from Las Vegas by Amazon.com cost me $9 plus shipping $1million, but was the only way to get it, I bought two.
In that case get the cheaper one because just under 200 pesos isn't worth it.. $5 is fine for its price. $9 isn't. Also I'm Mexican but from nuevo leon and i know just how freaking expensive motor oil is so what deals can you find on semi synthetic and full synthetic. I wonder how prices have changed since half a year ago when i last went. They were already outrageous then.

Back