which one do I keep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Ive got seveteen years total on two Tecuseh powered machines, $250.00 the pair, and I have 3/4 of an acre.
Ive bought two plugs and one blade total over that time.

If you're mechanically inclined and like to tinker, a older mower or other OPE is a great way to learn... I bought a new mower back in '71 when I bought my first home, since then it's mostly been freebee curb finds(Snapper only)... I did pay $60 for a second Snapper just after we moved into this house, that was in '96... I've probably spent close to $250 myself, buying & keeping them going but that dates back to 1985 when I inhered the first Snapper from my grandfather... Was well under the $250 figure till last year, that when I spent approx $85 for parts and a parts mower when I built the Snappahond(Honda powered Snapper)...

OPE engines are mostly so easy to keep running decently, and most lawnmowers won't need much parts expediture over any number of years.
These things tolerate abuse and long use like no car or boat engine could and they are quite cheap engines to begin with.

I'm a diesel mechanic for a living, so working on them isn't an issue, its just finding the time and money to do it. My plan is to hopefully scrounge up the money to restore my dads old rear badger lawn boy and teach my 8yr old son how to work on them. Its in sad shape though. My dads health declined pretty bad the last 6 or 7 years and its sat in the shed for that long and the mice have made a mess of it. He had some bags of lime out there for getting rid of moles and the mice have gotten lime all over it. Anyways, one of the mowers I have now will have to do until then
I did work on the craftsman tonight, I changed oil in it and ran some sea foam through the carb. Must have cleaned some junk out of it though as it smoked for a bit and struggled to run, RPMs were wandering a lot, but after about 5 mins it cleared up and ran fine. May need to tinker with it a bit though, it won't start when its hot unless I pump the primer a couple times. Doesn't smoke when starting it or while its running, but it gives a puff when I shut it off. Stuck rings or maybe bad oil control ring? It did sit for a few years at my buddies house with out being used.

Last edited:
Lot of people call Seafoam snakeoil but I have used it with good effect on various OPE.

Sounds like you and your son will have some good times ahead working together.

Worn rings are a common issue with many older Tecumseh or B&S engines, unless it needs oil at every cutting I wouldn't worry about it...

So many free lawn mowers, so little time. Best freebies have been TORO 3 speeds from the 90s. Current one is a 90 something with a SUZUKI 4 stroke. Best mower so far. I dont bother with FWD or Craftsmans I limit my collecting to Toros, Lawnboys and Snappers. There are many sources for info and parts on the internet. Granted, I get my kicks fixing things and making useful stuff out of junk. But I'm mowing my yard and clearing snow with 30 yr old OPE, and having fun doing it.
If I was to, gulp, BUY something, I would spend equal money on a rebuilt 20 yr old unit as I would for new. But I'm crazy that way.
laugh.gif

Well, I think i've made my decision, i'm keeping the lawn boy and giving the craftsman to my brother. While it was nice having self propelled, its just to heavy to maneuver around every thing in my yard and I hate the fact that I can't disengage the front drive without shutting the engine off. If I could do that on the fly, I might have kept it. The oil leak is a simple fix though, found its coming from the dip stick tube oring. The lawn boy is much lighter and maneuverable, and i've used it two seasons now, so at least I know what I've got. I'm going to work on it over the winter and put new wheels on it, get rid of the toe guard on the chute, and either get a rear bagging kit for it, or a mulching kit, as my yard definitely looked better with out the clippings every where after using the bag on the craftsman. Hopefully the craftsman does ok for my brother as his old one is on its last leg

Originally Posted By: afoulk
Well, I think i've made my decision, i'm keeping the lawn boy and giving the craftsman to my brother. While it was nice having self propelled, its just to heavy to maneuver around every thing in my yard and I hate the fact that I can't disengage the front drive without shutting the engine off. If I could do that on the fly, I might have kept it. The oil leak is a simple fix though, found its coming from the dip stick tube oring. The lawn boy is much lighter and maneuverable, and i've used it two seasons now, so at least I know what I've got. I'm going to work on it over the winter and put new wheels on it, get rid of the toe guard on the chute, and either get a rear bagging kit for it, or a mulching kit, as my yard definitely looked better with out the clippings every where after using the bag on the craftsman. Hopefully the craftsman does ok for my brother as his old one is on its last leg
I had a Craftsman with the "T" engine running on 20-50 Castrol for 20 years. The body finally gave out. Now I have a Honda. Whole different class. Nice and smooth and plenty of power.

Well, I think i've made my decision, i'm keeping the lawn boy and giving the craftsman to my brother. While it was nice having self propelled, its just to heavy to maneuver around every thing in my yard and I hate the fact that I can't disengage the front drive without shutting the engine off.

For what it's worth, the engine kill switch on the Craftsman could probably use some adjustment. You are supposed to be able to disengage the drive without killing the engine.

I had a 2003 Craftsman mower like that. You could let the compliance bail up enough to disengage the drive without killing the engine. It sounds like your engine kill switch is just barely closed with the compliance bail pulled.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Well, I think i've made my decision, i'm keeping the lawn boy and giving the craftsman to my brother. While it was nice having self propelled, its just to heavy to maneuver around every thing in my yard and I hate the fact that I can't disengage the front drive without shutting the engine off.

For what it's worth, the engine kill switch on the Craftsman could probably use some adjustment. You are supposed to be able to disengage the drive without killing the engine.

I had a 2003 Craftsman mower like that. You could let the compliance bail up enough to disengage the drive without killing the engine. It sounds like your engine kill switch is just barely closed with the compliance bail pulled.

I'll give that a shot, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back