Which oil would you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am changing the oil on my 99 Accord and I am wondering which oil would serve me best? My choices are Mobil 1, Amsoil, Red Line and GC. Red Line is the only oil that is more expensive and I am planning on running the oil to at least 10k km. Which oil should I go for and are there any particular reasons for your choice? Thx in advance for the help.

My choice would be Mobil 1 5w20, or 5w30; whichever your owners manual calls for. It is very good oil & you can find it virtually anywhere.

It is 6 of one and a half doven of the other. All are fine oils. I would exclude GC because the green is too hard to find and no longer produced now and the gold has little testing results in. Red Line is too expensive. Amsoil is too hard to get. Leaving Mobil 1.

Mobil 1 EP, a Mobil 1 filter, and you are good to go 10,000 km or even 15,000 km or one year for about $35.00 us.

I like Valvoline Synpower forget the G-3 thing its a good product that has some very good UOA on this site. Advance auto has for 4.79 per quart second choice would be Havoline syn at advance for 4.18 a quart no talks about this one , but i would take it over all the ones mentioned here.

Amsoil is not "hard to get". Kinda weird, shipped free to your doorstep (in the USA at least) is hard to get? 10K km is a piece of cake for any oil listed.

Select a viscosity recommended for your car unless you have scientific reasons to choose differently.

Esso 0W30 XD-3.

Rationale:

- it is a full synthetic (PAO basestock)

- it is much more affordable/cheaper than other synthetics (e.g., Mobil 1, GC)
wink.gif

FYI:
Esso XD-3 Product Data Sheet

Esso Bulk Distributors in Atlantic Canada

quote:

Originally posted by MMX:
Esso 0W30 XD-3.

Rationale:

- it is a full synthetic (PAO basestock)

- it is much more affordable/cheaper than other synthetics (e.g., Mobil 1, GC)
wink.gif

...and nearly impossible to get unless you live in the great white north. Grrrr...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back