Which oil would you never use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would never use M1 5-30 syn (regular formula, after they watered it down )
37.gif

Originally Posted By: 7777
37.gif

A friend has a 2000 Ford Taurus 3.0 Duratech with 300,000 miles at 10,000 mile OCIs all on M1 5-30. Also Johnny reported that many in LaMans racing use M1 5-30 off the shelf oil.is used by many teams.Pretty good for oil that has water in it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: 7777
37.gif

A friend has a 2000 Ford Taurus 3.0 Duratech with 300,000 miles at 10,000 mile OCIs all on M1 5-30. Also Johnny reported that many in LaMans racing use M1 5-30 off the shelf oil.is used by many teams.Pretty good for oil that has water in it.

I didn't mean water in it literally,lol. But you new that already.
06.gif

This thread is about "Which oil would you never use?",not attack peoples opinions.Get with the program.Everyones entitled to an opinion.

I'm done with Mobil products. Based on my opinions and how the company handled my questions and concerns. Castrol because of the stupid ads.

Wow I had no idea that advertisements had such a huge bearing on what oil people will/will not buy. I haven't seen the castrol ads, but the only thing that would bother me enough would be..

A. Racism
B. Making fun of/insulting LGBT people
C. Killing babies/ etc

If I had to choose an oil not to use, it would be House Brand oil. (IE Advance Auto parts brand 5W-30)

Originally Posted By: cjhepburn
The top ten synthetic oil thread got me thinking.
More importantly than which oil is the best. What oil would you never use?
For me it's Castrol GTX because my car died using that oil with 3-4k mile OCIs. The car was a piece of junk and it probably lived as long as it was designed to but the rings cracked and the oil was guilty by association.

I doubt it was the oil.

I had wrote a string about 2 major oil companies with detailed explanations on why I would not purchase there lubes..nothing wrong with their lubes at all. I deleted it all of that and instead want to impress that as long as it meets the specs your application requires you are safe. Choosing an oil based on busines practices,enivronmental reasons or irriating advertising is a personal matter.

THere are no oils that meet rrecomended specs I would not recomend. There are a couple I would avoid if other choces were available for my personal reasons.

If you want to know who and why I have personal disrespect towards certain brands You can PM me and I will answer with my opinion. The good folks in the lubricants divisions rarely have anything to do with this. Most of it is based on corporate culture. The way mergers and purchases occur in the energy sector occur my employer could own or be owned by any of my disreputable two companies at any time in the next 5 years.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
For me it's Castrol GTX because my car died using that oil with 3-4k mile OCIs. The car was a piece of junk and it probably lived as long as it was designed to but the rings cracked and the oil was guilty by association.

I doubt it was the oil.

+1, that's like saying "I'll never use Goodyear tires because my engine went through two head gaskets." Doesn't make sense.

I would never do what I saw an acquaintance do 30 years ago:
He took used 50 viscosity oil out of his Super Cub, put it in an air cooled VW Bug in the winter, then at -30 F. jump-cranked the VW's 6V starter with 12V from his pickup till the main bearings seized.

Charlie

I would never use an oil that I cannot get a good deal on, or if they do not meet at least API SM as of today.

With so many rebates and discount around, I won't pay more than $2 per quart for synthetic or pay for any dino oil that isn't free after rebates.

I might retract this statement when my 90 quart stash runs out.

I would be hard pressed to use anything from ExxonMobil due to the regressive social and political actions of Exxon. Mobil was a decent and progressive company before Exxon took over and set the clock of equality for all back by about 20 years.

Prior to Exxon taking over I was Mobil everything now I’m anything but Mobil.

Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan
Originally Posted By: Steve S

I doubt it was the oil.

+1, that's like saying "I'll never use Goodyear tires because my engine went through two head gaskets." Doesn't make sense.

No, thats like saying I wont use Bosch plugs because my coils took a dump while running them.

As far as bad advertising, I used to be in that boat, but just about all business has some kind of stupid marketing that makes me wanna barf, free creddit report .com for instance, burger king has some idiots in marketing as well. Some just have ads that are sickening but have good products.

I will not use Quaker State and I havent used Pennzoil yet because they are grouped together with QS.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan

I agree, that doesn't make sense.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
No, thats like saying I wont use Bosch plugs because my coils took a dump while running them.

I suppose I could argue that the one of plugs was faulty and drawing more current than the coil could supply thereby causing one of the coils to overheat and fail. Unlikely but possible... good analogy.

In general, it looks like Mobil is being boycott for political reasons.
Amsoil, redline, royal purple are too expensive.
QS - bad history.
Pennzoil – too much fanfare.

I’m surprised to hear how many people would continue to use the same oil after an engine failure.
I agree that it most likely wasn't the oil but with so many [better, IMHO] choices out there, there’s no reason to test the oil brand any further.

Here's the tally as I see it:
Castrol 8
Generic/Store Brand 6
Pennzoil 6
Quaker State 4
Amsoil 4
Redline 3
Mobil 1 3
Mobil 3
Accel 2
Royal Purple 2
Any SA/SB oil 1
Castrol Syntec 1
Warren 1
Yellow Goose 1
Valvoline 1

Last edited:
I work at a Valvoline instant oil change and still can't believe people will pay 65.99 for a 5 quart Synpower change with [censored] filter. Since working for valvoline and with how much [censored] i've taken for working at that company, I will never use any of their products again. Anything but valvoline.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back