Which oil would you never use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To say never is tough. But, as long as there are CHOICES, I would never CHOOSE any GP II oil, I would not CHOOSE anything by Castrol, Havoline, Quaker State, Pennzoil, and Warren. I am sure there are many more out there that would not be choices but these are just the ones I know about, have experience with.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
There's a VOA for dino supertech. I try not to read too much into oil analysis, but 400 ppm of zinc/phosphorus put's it on my list.

[censored], I use that when I do side job oil changes for people all the time lol have to keep my margin up, not a lot of profit on an oil change in my garage. It has to be ok though.

Yellow Goose Oil, which is no longer made by a local, Buffalo group call "Superior Lubricants." It was sold at the now defunct local mini-mart of the same name. They sent out a bad batch sometime around the late 1980s and roasted some motors...

City Star

I don't know what it is, but I see it at gas stations and party stores all around the Detroit area, and I don't know anything about it. The bottle isn't very good at marketing a quality product though =)

Originally Posted By: BigJohn
I am not 'into' drinking the coolaid of marketing, but I also believe you get what you pay for. So as long as I have a choice, I won't use the generic oils or the discount oils.

But, can anyone here ever really say NEVER? What if you are a quart low....out in BFE.....and the trashy truck stop only has some [censored] in a bottle you have never heard of and its been on the shelf for 5 years. Do you run your vehicle or bike with a low level, or do you pour in the [censored]? Me, I am pouring the [censored].

I'd have to be down a lot more than just a quart before I'd consider diluting my premium oil fill. You don't need a lot of oil in the sump, if you drive gently, to get by in a pinch.

Originally Posted By: Jdblya
There's a VOA for dino supertech. I try not to read too much into oil analysis, but 400 ppm of zinc/phosphorus put's it on my list.

[censored], I use that when I do side job oil changes for people all the time lol have to keep my margin up, not a lot of profit on an oil change in my garage. It has to be ok though.

I now have a nice series of UOA's from my air-cooled single cylinder 650cc Honda using Walmart Super Tech 15w40 HD with results that are as good or better than the synthetic that I was using previously. The only downfall is this engine/transmission really shears oils, including syns that I tried such as Amsoil and Redline. So, I limit my OCI's to 800km (500mi). BTW, the numbers I'm getting in the Super Tech for Phosphorous is 1154ppm and Zinc is 1423ppm. Nothing wrong with that.

With these short OCI's Super Tech 15w40 is by far the best choice over synthetics.

Last edited:
I beleive that most oils are good enough for my beaters, [censored] even for my crate motors. I'd never use an oil that I have to pay full retail price for!

I won't use Castrol. I used it back in the early 1980s when I was a kid in a motorcycle I owned and the motor siezed up. It probably had nothing to do with the oil but I have never used it since. My Dad was a huge Valvoline fan so that was the only oil he, and I, ever used.

Amsoil, and Redline due to cost and availability.
Nothing against either oil, just cost too much, and I can't buy it on every corner, like PP or PYB.

Also any of those [censored] SA/SB oils sold at Cumby's (like Double X lube).

I tend to avoid Warren products, but have used them in other peoples cars. (Usually they have no money and I'm giving them a free oil change) Typically ST and ST, or ProLine filter.

Originally Posted By: Jdblya

If its a blackstone I would just as quickly dismiss those numbers.

Originally Posted By: cjhepburn
The top ten synthetic oil thread got me thinking.
More importantly than which oil is the best. What oil would you never use?
For me it's Castrol GTX because my car died using that oil with 3-4k mile OCIs. The car was a piece of junk and it probably lived as long as it was designed to but the rings cracked and the oil was guilty by association.

What did Castrol GTX have to do with your cars engine? If there was a problem
it would of gave out with any oil. Whats with all these people jumping on
Castrol? Look at all the other oil companies using GRP III and calling it
Synthetic. Isn't Pennzoil Platium GRP III ?

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I will never use Amsoil, Redline, RP, Mobil-1 or Syntec because I'm too cheap to pay more than $2 a qt for engine oil.

No thanks to the expensive stuff. Just cheapy dino for me, doesnt matter which brand.

Originally Posted By: Petrou
Anything that says penzoil on it, sorry Jonny

???????

This thread has the potential to start a lot of fires.........

The gold standard for me comes in a yellow bottle.

Outside the fables about wax from the '60's, never heard a single bad word about Pennzoil.

I've used it for 28 years and it has always performed and protected.

Now you may not like SOPUS because their executives go on panda bear hunts twice a year or some other horse excrement like that. That's okay by me.

But their products deliver top notch performance and value in both conventional and synthetic oil market segments.

I had a Mercury Tracer and I used 5W-20 synthetic, the motors self-destructed (two of them) and I'd never use this stuff again if I could remember what brand it was....

wouldn't use GTX on or in anything...especially since it doesn't play well with others especially when it meets with Quaker State at Indy in NHRA TF/FC hehehe...Sorry Force I couldn't resist.
18.gif

I do however love Amsoil everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back