Which oil to choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I'm new here and just have really one question I hope someone can answer or give their opinion on.

I have a 2001 Cobra with a 2003 Mach1 engine. I know the 4.6 4v was originally spec'd for 5w30 before Ford moved to 5w20 to meet CAFE standards, so I plan to run a 0w or 5w30 in it. The original owner ran 5w20 Motorcraft SynthBlend with a Motorcraft filter. I plan to keep the FL-820S filter due to it seems to have nice reviews and lower cost compared to other like Royal Purple and K&N. I am still undecided on what oil to use though and have a small list of brands I would like some opinions on. If it matter the car is a daily driver, currently 17.5k on the engine, and sees occasional autocross, and drag strip use (5x's or so a year), I plan to do oil changes every 5-7k when I'm not going to the track.

0w30 Mobil1
0w30 German formulated Castrol (I hear this might be closer to a 40 though ?, and the most expensive in the list)
5w30 Motorcraft Full Synthetic
5w30 Motorcraft SynthBlend

Also how are Valvolines Synthetics? If I remember right they were getting knocked on a few years back.

Last edited:
As mentioned above, I'm sure it was lost in the block of text I wrote, no more then about 5 times or so a year.

Originally Posted By: CobraJet
As mentioned above, I'm sure it was lost in the block of text I wrote, no more then about 5 times or so a year.

I'm running M1 5w40 in my 5.4L, but many would freak out if I recommended it
wink.gif

For a mainstream oil, either GC 0w30, M1 0w40, or M1 5w40 TDT.

But IMO, if you want the best (though you probably don't need it), throw some Redline in there and forget about your oil for a while.

u wanna do short OCI...u do not intent to hit tracks....well in that case what kind of a driver are u?...if spirited and with an occasionally heavy foot.... then quite frankly go with the cheapest full synthetic u can get ur hands at!

among the oils you listed.... I would suggest German Castrol....

Hello, I'm new here and just have really one question I hope someone can answer or give their opinion on.

I have a 2001 Cobra with a 2003 Mach1 engine. I know the 4.6 4v was originally spec'd for 5w30 before Ford moved to 5w20 to meet CAFE standards, so I plan to run a 0w or 5w30 in it. The original owner ran 5w20 Motorcraft SynthBlend with a Motorcraft filter. I plan to keep the FL-820S filter due to it seems to have nice reviews and lower cost compared to other like Royal Purple and K&N. I am still undecided on what oil to use though and have a small list of brands I would like some opinions on. If it matter the car is a daily driver, currently 17.5k on the engine, and sees occasional autocross, and drag strip use (5x's or so a year), I plan to do oil changes every 5-7k when I'm not going to the track.

0w30 Mobil1
0w30 German formulated Castrol (I hear this might be closer to a 40 though ?, and the most expensive in the list)
5w30 Motorcraft Full Synthetic
5w30 Motorcraft SynthBlend

Also how are Valvolines Synthetics? If I remember right they were getting knocked on a few years back.

Valvoline Synpower is an EXCELLENT synthetic.

I do tend to have a heavy foot. I would try Redline or AMS but I haven't found it around me any place. For those that might ask "why not RP?" every car I've ran it in the car seems to have more valve train noise compared to other oils.

I`ve never been impressed with the way synthetics run in my engine compared to dinos. I`ll be returning to dinos once I use up my synths. I always ran dino in my Z31 turbo and I never had any issues whatsoever with it. Is your car supercgarged?

CobraJet I have a 2004 Mach and I run Redline 5w20 in the winter and 5w30 in the summer. I have tried several different oils and found Redline and PP 5w30 have givin me the best results. My car doesnt see many miles but I have a heavy right foot as well. I would recommend trying some different oils to see what you like best. You may want to try Amsoil 5w20 or Mobil 1 5w20 soooo many Mustang owners like both oils.

It is not.

It's not supercharged or turbo'd YET you should say
LOL.gif

I'm planning on running either Redline,Amsoil or Shaeffers in mine as soon as I'm finished having a guy install a new Detroit True-Trac in place of the spool thats currently in the car.

Some people dont mind driving spools on the street,but what a Pain in da @ss it is
crazy2.gif

Got any pictures of the car?

Sorry I don't yet. I don't plan to do much to it, the last owner put in a Mach1 engine(like I said before) then the 01 engine popped form to much spray. He also had a solid axle in it. I plan to put FRPP 31 splines axles in it with a 03 Cobra diff, it already has K&N intake, pulleys, x-pipe and cat-back that sounds nice to me. I have a ported intake waiting to go on. after that I just plan shorty headers (roads here are bad already), a retune, and maybe a 6spd swap, then just suspension. Its a daily drive first a, fun corner taker 2nd and a tire roaster 3rd.

I'd use T&SUV Mobil1 5W-30...

Or M1 HM, either 5/10W-30...

I'd also consider Amsoil SSO 0W-30, ASL 5W-30, or their Euro 5W-40 for an extended OCI...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back