Which Oil is Right for Me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to figure out what the best oil to use might be for myself. My dad is addicted to using Amsoil Series 3000 5w-30 oil. It's technically for Diesel engines, but is also "formulated for gasoline engines". It works just fine, but costs $12-$13/qt, and even with a dealer discount I don't think it can go below $9-$10/qt. I'm not really sure if this is worth it when Mobil 1 seems to be highly recommended and at Walmart it's only $5/qt. However I filled in the information below as recommended and have further comments on my habits below as well.

1. What kind of vehicle you have 2004 Hyundai Accent 1.6L, just under 100k miles
2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well I recall it said 10W-40 Which sounds heavy, everything online recommends 5W-30
3. Where you live New Jersey
4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?) I tend to drive a bit fast, but I ease into it gently and slow down on inclines, usually keeping the engine in a 2-3k RPM range, I try to avoid it jumping to a higher RPM to maintain speed.
5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?) I drive 17 miles each way to work 5 days a week, so 170 miles a week minimum, probably 200-300 miles total in a week, and the majority of it is highway in state highways or interstates.
6. Whether your car has any known problems It was my mother's car which she bought new. I don't know of any problems relating to oil overall. My dad said the oil pan is leaking, but he's replacing that before I buy it, I don't know of any oil burning or leaking issues aside from that. The exhaust did rust up a lot though and is also being replaced though, if that might be at all relevant.

Additionally I use Amsoil filters, and usually just replace the oil and filter once a year. The Amsoil filters claim to go to 15k miles, and should be good with the same oil too from what I understand. This is also what my mom's car has used for the first 100k miles of its life.

So basically what I guess I'm wondering is what is the cheapest while not risking undue wear and tear on the car,

1) Is the Amsoil filter worth it? Is there something better? I'm guessing I should ask in the oil filters section, but any advice is appreciated. Please keep in mind that I don't want to switch to 2x a year oil changes, and I also don't think there's anything cheap enough to be better to do 2x a year than the Amsoil once a year. However I'm open to any ideas
2) Is the Amsoil oil really the best? I'm sure it's good oil, but I have a very hard time believing it is in any way worth the extra over the competitors. Maybe it is worth it to use it just to keep any sort of warranty coverage for using the filter and oils from the same brand though? It's my understanding that Amsoil offer some sort of guarantee, though I don't know the details
3) Based on the 2 above questions, what does everyone recommend and why? If it's any help, I'm definitely a synthetic 100% of the way kind of person, and I plan to keep the car for 3-5 years.

Thanks for all of your help.

Castrol Edge is my choice. ANY API certified oil....will be just fine though. Just use the recommendation concerning oil weight in the manual.
Castrol Edge will work much more than any thing you'll ever need. Of course so wouldn't...Valvoline, Mobil-1, ETC

I wouldn't also hesitate to use Honda oil, Toyota or honestly ANY...API certified oil.
As for filters....I l;ike to simply use OEM. No fuss no muss

Last edited:
The Amsoil filters and oils are great and I suspect they would fit fine with a one year oil change interval plan. You could always run a UOA to confirm the suitability of that plan.

Why do you think you need to run synthetic in it? Consider running conventional. Any major brand conventional in the viscosity recommended for your climate in the owner manual will do fine and save you some money in the process over pricey synthetics. Same logic with the filter. How about Wix?

I wouldn't use $10+ a quart oil in a 10 year old Accent.

If you want extended drains, I'd grab a jug of Mobil 1 EP or Castrol Edge at Walmart for $25.00. If you're not, then ANY API SN 5W30 conventional would be fine.

As far as filters go, I'm going back to Fram Tough Guards, also at Walmart.

If your weekly driving is 200-300 miles, a yearly mileage may be up to 15k miles. Mobil 1 EP 5W30 with Fram Ultra will cost you less than $35 at Walmart.

If I were you I would use QSUD (Quaker State Ultimate Durability), and a Fram TG filter. Both available at Walmart and you will be walking out with a full synthetic oil change for under $30 that should be capable of handling 7500 miles. I would change at 5K and UOA if interested in extending.

I'm confused, how does 5 Conventional oil and filter changes a year save money over once a year synthetic oil changes? Conventional oil may only be $2-$3/quart, but doing those changes in all varied weather including 0 degree winters and scorching summers doesn't sound fun, and definitely seems more expensive to me.

Can you maybe show me some numbers that make your point, because the numbers I'm running show that even the overpriced oil and filter only cost about $50-$60/yr, while conventional costs $82 and 4 extra oil changes a year in my own time and labor.

I guess what I'm wondering is if I can use mobil 1 or other synthetic oils for 15k miles, as well as some other brand of filter, without it being an issue, or is only Amsoil good for that?

Mobil 1 Extended Performance and Mobil 1 filter. It will do the 15k you want and is considerably cheaper. I would do a uoa at 10k on the first run probably.

On the lower end of your scale 200 x 52 is ~ 10,500 miles year. For that basically any name brand synthetic of the required viscosity will do it.

On the higher end, 300 x 52 is ~ 16,000 miles year. For that I would be looking for an extended drain oil, Mobil1 EP is my choice, but I believe almost everyone is making one now.

Fram rates the Tough Guard @ 10,000 miles and the Ultra @ 15,000. Bosch no longer rates theirs by miles, but the Distance plus was rated at 15,000 when they did.

Me, it would be M1EP and an Ultra or Distance Plus at Walmart.... (Still hate the black mess on the end of FRAMs)

Last edited:
Thanks, that sounds like a great idea, and with all the recommendations I've been looking all over and this seems to be the only option.

However Bosch has an oil filter with a slightly higher capacity that may be worth looking into, and I don't know the capacity of the Amsoil filter, but it seems like all of these 15k mile filters cost $10-$15, so the difference there isn't major. The Oil savings with the Mobil 1 EP seems like the most important thing for saving money.

Originally Posted By: ben7337
I'm confused, how does 5 Conventional oil and filter changes a year save money over once a year synthetic oil changes? Conventional oil may only be $2-$3/quart, but doing those changes in all varied weather including 0 degree winters and scorching summers doesn't sound fun, and definitely seems more expensive to me.

Don't you have a climate controlled garage with a TV and a couch ?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If your weekly driving is 200-300 miles, a yearly mileage may be up to 15k miles. Mobil 1 EP 5W30 with Fram Ultra will cost you less than $35 at Walmart.

+1

Originally Posted By: Rolla07

+1

+2 The Fram Ultra is likely overkill for a 10yr old Accent - any filter is fine IMO, even the cheap $3 Purolator at Walmart. I think Pep Boys has Bosch filters this month on a 2 for $10 deal.

+1.....an excellent recomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back