Which oil for my work van?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1996 Dodge work van B3500 5.2L V8 consumes about a quart every 1000 miles. It has approximately 255,xxx miles on it. The engine requires 10w30 and I have been putting Mobil1 10w30 extended performance and change it out twice a year. I just have to add a quart sometimes. Since I am out of my extended performance stash, I put Castrol Syntec 0w30. The oil consumption is about the same. Could anything help to prevent the oil consumption?

It's time to move up to MaxLife 10W-40.

Mobil Super 5000 10W-40 is good too.

Add Chevron 10W-40 to that list.
55.gif

You could also try DELO 15/40 in that tired motor. I did that on my tired old pickup truck and it limped for another two years until it got t boned.

Originally Posted By: LOLVO
Could anything help to prevent the oil consumption?

Have you checked the plenum gasket?
What about the PCV valve & crankcase breather?

If so, and you're solely dealing with wear, then step it up to a high mileage 10w-40 as aforementioned. As well (if it hasn't already been addressed), I'd highly recommend a good strong application of Regane, Techron, Redline SI-1, etc.

Look for a guy named Clevy and his posts about a product called Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver... He's had great success with it. I threw some in the 98 Accord a few thousand miles ago and have already seen consumption slow from 1 qt every 1,000 miles... From what I understand, it takes upwards of 5k miles and/or an oil change or so to take full effect but the same is true for any HM oil... takes some time

I picked it up at Napa.., costs about $8: Motor Oil Saver

Last edited:
Put the M1 HM 10W40 in there. Im one of the folks here that have seen great results on this oil. Consumption eliminated on a 270K Accord.

Its a great price and we all need to save $, right?
smile.gif

At 1000 mi per qt this thing is a self changer, I wouldn't change it more than once a year and probably not then...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back