Which oil for my turbo Saab?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am trying to decide which engine oil to use in my car. I am no oil expert but not a total novice either. I am learning more and more what the numbers in the technical datasheets mean, but I am still not sure what is suitable for my car.

I drive a 1997 Saab 9000 2.3 Turbo with the 200 hp B234L full-pressure turbo engine. It is an iron block engine with aluminium head, dual overhead camshafts and port injection. It has done 347000 km (about 215600 miles) so it's not really brand new anymore. However, it runs fine and I want to use a really good oil to keep it that way despite the high mileage.

I live in Sweden in a rather cold climate. Temperatures rarely exceed 30°C (86°F) in summer but sometimes fall to -25°C (-13°F) in winter. My car is parked outside and must be able to start in those low temperatures without to much wear on the engine. Thus, the oil must have good cold start characteristics. However, it must also be able to withstand hours of highway driving in summer with heavy load and accelerations.

My Saab manuals call for a Saab Turbo oil or an oil according to API SG/SH, ACEA A2-96/A3-96 and CCMC G4/G5. Several viscosities are suggested. Primarily 10W-30 or 10W-40 but also 5W-30 or 5W-40 in cold climates or 15W-50 or 20W-50 in hot climates.

The old Saab Turbo oil is not sold anymore and Saab Parts refer to the Genuine GM Dexos2 Fuel Economy Long Life 5W-30 recommended for newer GM Europe cars (Saab, Opel, Vauxhall and Chevrolet). That oil is a ACEA C3-compliant low-SAPS oil and I am not sure it is the best for my car.

I am currently using Mobil 1 New Life 0W-40, the now discontinued version being replaced by Mobil 1 FS 0W-40. I have one more 5 L can of New Life, but then I would have to change to something else. The 0W-40 viscosity is not mentioned in my Saab manuals but I believe this is because 0W-xx oils didn't exist on the mass market in 1997. Am I right? I chose 0W-40 for the cold start properties since I believe a lower viscosity in cold temperatures cannot hurt. It still has the same viscosity at operating temperature. Again, am I right?

So, what should I look for in the oil I choose? Let's sum up some specific questions:

1. Should I limit my search to 0W-xx oils for the cold start performance, or is a 5W-xx good enough? Are low MRV, CCS and pour point values more important? 5W-xx oils are generally cheaper than 0W-xx oils here.
2. Is low-SAPS a bad thing for my engine? Is there a reason to buy a full-SAPS oil? Are high HTHS and TBN values more important?
3. Is the low-SAPS Genuine GM Dexos2 Fuel Economy Long Life 5W-30 a good choice? It is available very cheap here.
4. Looking at Mobil 1 oils, we have the ESP 0W-40 (low-SAPS ACEA C3) and FS 0W-40 (full-SAPS ACEA A3/B4). What are their advantages and disadvantages for my car?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Johan

Originally Posted By: lbs129
I am currently using Mobil 1 New Life 0W-40, the now discontinued version being replaced by Mobil 1 FS 0W-40.

Johan,

welcome2.gif

Your choice of full synthetic 0W-40 is a well-thought one.
You obviously did some research to make that choice.

I doubt there are "major changes" to the formula, I would continue to use full synthetic 0W-40

I think your choice of 0w40 is also right on the money. Keep doing what you're doing. No need to worry about the change in name of the M1 0w40.

Thank you for your replies. The verdict seems to be that 0W-40 is the way to go. Can you also help me with my more detailed questions? :)

Johan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back