Which oil for modified turbo engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys.Im building Z20LET(sequential injection) engine with forged internals.Stock engine is 192hp, i will be aiming for 400hp.Piston to bore clearance will be 0.08mm(wossner 4032).Crankshaft clearances will be stock with acl race bearings.
I don't have catalyst.
Thing i know wich grade to use 0w40 or 5w40 and 3.7-4 HTHS.
But i don't know wich brands are good and using IV and V group.
The car is for everyday, and sometime fast road.I have big Setrab oil cooler and soon i will buy thermostat.

It would depend on oil temperatures.
If they are under control I would think either would be fine.

if the oil temp runs hot from prolonged racing type use you might need to go thicker.

On my last 2 engines i used Amsoil 10w40 premium protection and 5w40 european formula.
But my friend wich drives mustang and toyota 1hd-fte told me that he tried 0w20 and 10w40 and both oils started to losing pressure for 5000-6000km.
He told me to try motul x-max.

as noted on the great you tube, oil the fine print by Savage Geese all oils thin the hotter they get + oil pressure drops causing unseen + undetected by oil analysis damage. a track day with 0W20 redline an excellent oil but not up to higher heat that thins even the best oils showed bearing scuffing but an analysis showed NOTHING!!

M1, 15w-50 is the standard choice for highly loaded turbocharged engines here in the states.

As mentioned above, the key will be oil temperature. An HTHS of 3.7 is just fine with well managed oil temps. However, sometimes this is more easily said than done, due to small oil coolers with limited capacity and rapidly varying heat input. There is a reason many of us choose the 15W-50, as it's commonly available and will maintain viscosity well under severe stress.

I built my 1.8L turbo miata for street use, just as a fast toy. However, after a few unexpected track days, with speeds approaching 170mph, it was clear I needed more oil temperature management. A well built setup should be able to take anything thrown at it. A good oil choice is part of that success.

I have Setrab oil cooler Setrab 36x20cm. i will aim for oil temperature 90-105 celsius.
In my country winter is from 0 to -10 and summer is 30-35 celsius.

Last edited:
I used Motul 300V Chrono 10w40 in my built and modified SR20 powered Nissan S15. It was putting out circa 400 rwhp on a dyno dymanics dyno. I also ran a Greddy oil cooler with t-stat setup. Ran faultless for the 6 years I had it in this state of tune, wasn't babied and would see 8,000 rpm nearly every time I took it out. Oil temps were approx 10 degrees C higher than water temps once warmed up i.e. 90 - 95 degrees C.

If you want something with a lighter w rating then look at Motul 300V Power 5w40 if your budget can stretch to this, or even their Xcess 5w40 for street only duties.

Redline 5w40 also has a great HTHS rating.

Edit:

I used Mobil 1 5w50 out at the track when the car was in a milder state of tune and it was garbage - f..k all hot idle oil pressure. Cams was scuffed as were the followers - so they were junked and that's when I switched across to a decent oil following the rebuild.

Last edited:
First u want to know which brands are real IV and V group.After that i will decide wich w rating to use, because different oil have different viscosity.
Is the 300v mostly group 3 base like some people say ?

Motul oil is a full line of premium synthetic oils that are the best for not only the typical day-to-day commuter, but also the track car that gets driven hard 5-10 weekends per year at races and driver schools. Motul uses PAO based oils for the 8100 X-cess line, while the 300V line and 8100 E-tech (short for "Ester-technology") are made from Esters. Ester based oil molecules also carry the added benefit of having an electrical charge. One side of the molecule has a positive charge, while the other has a negative charge. This means that ester based oil molecules are always going to build up a layer of protection between metal parts during cold starts. The 8100 X-cess, 8100 E-tech and 300V oils are the highest performance lubricants available today. In fact, Motul led the way in 1972 with the first ester based oil for vehicle use, and still leads with the introduction of Double Ester technology (Esters, polyolesters, and other complex esters combined) in 2004.

Source:

http://www.rrtautomotive.com/2017/06/24/oil-technology-explained/

Further info re application to modified VW's:

https://hp.net.au/home/engine-oil-modified-vwaudiskoda/

Last edited:
Easy to get in Europe, don't overthink it with all the boutique stuff, this will do the job as well as anything on the market. Look at the specs.

https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-SUPERCAR-10W-60-Advanced-Synthetic/dp/B0161A4CIS

Edit: Ask the engine builder/machinist what viscosity is ideal for the clearances. Castrol also has 5w50, 10w50, 10w40 oils that are true synthetics that can stand up to high HP/Ltr turbo engines.

Last edited:
My clearances are stock, except piston to bore, but thats on cold.
For first i want to know wich brand and model to get and after that i will think about viscosity.
Of course my car is for everyday and fast street and i don't need thick racing oil wich i need to change every 2000km.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back