Which oil for '18 Mercedes E 300?

It does list MB 229.51 but I want to stay with 0-40 rather than 0-30. Thanks for feedback. Learned a lot with this thread.
Grade is irrelevant. Approval is.
MB229.51/52 is minimum 3.5 HTHS. That is what matters.
To give you example:
Motul 5W30 X-Clean+ has HTHS 3.6.
Mobil1 ESP 0W40 has HTHS of 3.53.
Actually Motul is going to provide better protection at the limits regardless that KV100 is lower.

Just now called the previous dealer in Md that sold/serviced the E300 since new; they said they used Mob1 5-40 so I will continue with that. Thanks for feedback everyone.
That would be Mobil 1 M 5-40 which has to be ordered online. It was made for MB years ago. A great oil but expensive and not easy to find. Search for Tom Masano in Pa who stocks these oils with free shipping. This oil should be the same as MB 5-40 oil.

Great stuff.

Attachments

• 43DC0DFA-12F3-4A36-9603-AB17F722A179.jpeg
    43DC0DFA-12F3-4A36-9603-AB17F722A179.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 47BD48CB-861F-4BDA-AD09-550D775E44C4.jpeg
    47BD48CB-861F-4BDA-AD09-550D775E44C4.jpeg
    87.9 KB · Views: 20
QS Euro 5-40 (4 jugs only), Penn Euro L 5-30 and Castrol 0-40 are now avail at local Walmart. Which has lowest SAPS?

Last edited:
Thanks edyvw. Aprec the feedback. Just checked and QS Euro is under $19. Shoot, I can change every week at that price! LOL

I suggest you buy oil filters that are made by the supplier to MB. For BMW that supplier is Mahle.

Or 229.6 as I've shown above

When resetting the computer it asks which oil spec was used. MB 229.5 is good for 10k miles - the other spec 229.6? has a shorter change interval since its not the king of kings oil spec 229.5 ;)

When resetting the computer it asks which oil spec was used. MB 229.5 is good for 10k miles - the other spec 229.6? has a shorter change interval since its not the king of kings oil spec 229.5 ;)
It may not be the "king of kings" oil as you describe it, but they are both long life oil specs. I do realize that the service monitor asks which oil is installed, but I don't know if that has any bearing on the oil change interval. Further, if you look them up on the Lubrizol comparater the only difference is in fuel economy, all other specs remain identical. Which would indicate to me that this is a pretty stout spec for a 0W-20.

I do know that 229.6 spec oil is available in 0W-20 and 5W-30, so that spec oil would provide better fuel economy according to CAFE.
With the clever computers regulating this engine, who knows. Indicating that spec may just shorten the warm up time or alter the fuel injectors somehow. I don't think Mercedes will ever tell the common car driver EXACTLY what it does.

It may not be the "king of kings" oil as you describe it, but they are both long life oil specs. I do realize that the service monitor asks which oil is installed, but I don't know if that has any bearing on the oil change interval. Further, if you look them up on the Lubrizol comparater the only difference is in fuel economy, all other specs remain identical. Which would indicate to me that this is a pretty stout spec for a 0W-20.

I do know that 229.6 spec oil is available in 0W-20 and 5W-30, so that spec oil would provide better fuel economy according to CAFE.
With the clever computers regulating this engine, who knows. Indicating that spec may just shorten the warm up time or alter the fuel injectors somehow. I don't think Mercedes will ever tell the common car driver EXACTLY what it does.
The graphic is just a representation. This is the data that spills the beans....the minimum HTHS and minimum TBN are the 2 most important requirements that separates the two specs. Fuel economy or engine wear - I know which one is more important to me. I dont use any oils that have an HTHS of less than 3.5 - even in my lawnmowers etc.

1623252853641.png

I've looked at my manual and can't find info on resetting the oil minder. Any suggestions on where that section might be located?

Back