Which oil do you like between these???

Status
Not open for further replies.
lets say 4-5k intervals in the 5w30 flavor in a Pontiac G6 GXP 3.6L VVT.

MC 5000
Pennzoil YB
Trop-artic syn-blend
MC blend

Or is the price the best gauge?

No flames please...a decision was reached on the OLM deal & it will be changed at 50% from now on per the owners wishes.

thanks guys

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FastSUV

MC 5000
Pennzoil YB
Trop-artic syn-blend
MC blend

No flames please...a decision was reached on the OLM deal & it will be changed at 50% from now on per the owners wishes.

thanks guys

Pennzoil or MC Blend would be my two choices.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Almost ANY syn-blend beats almost any dino...

I would p;urchase/trust Pennzoil conventional before I used syn-blend base oils from Korea.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Almost ANY syn-blend beats almost any dino...

I would p;urchase/trust Pennzoil conventional before I used syn-blend base oils from Korea.

Well my mechanic buddy loves the trop-artic...I got a few cases last year and have used it a few times in my 4.0L Jeep but it is quieter with Pennzoil HM in it. I knew that trop-artic GP-III was Korean but isn't the MC also the same base???

I like the one not in your list: Peak
It is in my 1994 LS400 with more than 240k miles, the engine is much quieter than any other oil in the last 15 years.

MC 5000
Pennzoil YB
Trop-artic syn-blend
MC blend

thanks guys

The 5qt. jug of Motorcraft blend is on par price-wise with most conventionals. Talking a couple dollar difference, that being said I'd go MC blend. Blend trumps the dino...

IMOP Pennzoil YB, then MC syn blend, can't say anything about the other 2 as i never used them. Can't beat the YB for the price in 5qut jugs @ WM and the MC blen is only $2 more in the 5qut jugs! I would use either one of these w/ confidence! Isn't the Trop Artic made by Conoco and they make the MC for Ford? So i would say it's a toss up! What ever is cheaper!

MC 5000
Pennzoil YB
Trop-artic syn-blend
MC blend
If only 4-5k OCI, any will work fine so price should be a consideration.

In 5w30 (Wally)
MC5k $11 a jug.
PYB $12 a jug
MC blend $2.77 a qt. Too bad they only have jugs ($11.50) in 5w20. That would be my first choice in 5w20.
TrAr not readily available here.

Around here Havoline DS has dropped to $11.50 in 5w30. I believe at that price that would move it to the top my list, Too bad it's taken them so long to figure that out.

As mentioned, any of the dino oil/filter combo change specials from PB AAP etc. will also work.

Take your pick and don't worry about changing brands.

MC 5000
Pennzoil YB
Trop-artic syn-blend
MC blend

Just an FYI but I believe Trop Arctic and MC semi-blends are the same from what data I have as is Kendall and Conoco. I know they all come from Conoco. Unlike some generic labeling like Valvoline/Napa where the blends aren't the same, IMO these blends are not different.

But in answer to your question. For my money I'd use one of the Conoco/Kendall/TropArtcic/MC blends.

Probably depends more on what your particular engine "likes". If I had to choose blindly, I'd pick TA/MC blend.

I would pick one of the blends myself. YB is good conventional oil and would be my 3rd choice of your 4. The Mobil Clean 5000 is your FF oil more or less and my last place finisher.

Last edited:
I was amazed when I read in a fall 2004 issue of Lubes & Greases that S. Korea produces more than 70% of the world's Grp III basestocks. This is probably common knowledge for all you oil professionals, but it surprised a layman like me!!

Regards,
paul...

Is MC 5000 a GP-II or II+???

To be honest I don't know. I don't use Mobil products if it can be avoided so I don't do much research on them. My 3 GM vehicles had the FF Mobil made oil dumped by 500 miles. Plus, they seem to be highly secretive about base stocks used even if you did look. Somoeone else may know the answer though.

For that interval, buy on price. You'll probably find that M5000 at WM is your best 'everyday' price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back