Mobil 5k or Pennzoil YB for 4.0 Jeep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently using top-artic 10w30 blend...when I run out, I was considering a switch since they have raised the price of trop-artic now. In a stock 4.0 flat tappet motor with 74k, and a 4k OCI, which would be better? I like the price of MC 5000 but willin to send the extra for Pennzoil YB if it is that much better? I like the 11 bucks at wal-mart for the 5qt jug but this motor takes 6qts.

I can get trop-artic for 26.xx per case but it used to be 19.99 per case so I got 2 oil changes for 10 bucks a piece :) I still have 18qts in my stash but after joining this site, I have more confidence in plain old dino; especially for 4k intervals.

FYI I have already got a 5qt jug of Pennzoil HM 10w30 for my 5.9L Jeep and will be switching from Mobil-1 to Pennzoil dino since I only do 3k max interval on the 5.9L as it is a non-daily driver verses the 4.0L being my daily driver.

Last edited:
I would prefer the Pennzoil YB 10W-30. Group II+ base stock and a very good additive package. I believe you would really like it in your Jeep 4.0L.

I've been using the Mobil Clean 5000 in a Jeep Liberty 3.7 for some time now. I put Castrol GTX in it before that. No problems to report. Can't beat the price.

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
Currently using top-artic 10w30 blend...when I run out, I was considering a switch since they have raised the price of trop-artic now. In a stock 4.0 flat tappet motor with 74k, and a 4k OCI, which would be better? I like the price of MC 5000 but willin to send the extra for Pennzoil YB if it is that much better? I like the 11 bucks at wal-mart for the 5qt jug but this motor takes 6qts.

I can get trop-artic for 26.xx per case but it used to be 19.99 per case so I got 2 oil changes for 10 bucks a piece :) I still have 18qts in my stash but after joining this site, I have more confidence in plain old dino; especially for 4k intervals.

FYI I have already got a 5qt jug of Pennzoil HM 10w30 for my 5.9L Jeep and will be switching from Mobil-1 to Pennzoil dino since I only do 3k max interval on the 5.9L as it is a non-daily driver verses the 4.0L being my daily driver.

The 4.0 seems to respond well to slightly heavier grade oils. I am extremely happy with the way mine runs using Rotella T synthetic and a 9k mile OCI. HDEOs seem to do very well in protecting flat tappet cams, even in the newer SM/CJ ratings. I would consider an HDEO for the 5.9 too, especially if its rarely driven. The higher TBN should help you get more than 3k miles out of the oil even with the rarely-driven issues. of course the 5.9 has roller lifters, so pretty much any good quality oil will do well enough in it if you'd rather stick to the short change interval.

I don't really understand switching oils over cost, though. The cost of oil per change interval is negligible compared to other costs. A 4.0 Jeep is going to get around 20 MPG, plus/minus a few, so figure 200 gallons per 4000 mile change interval- that's close to $400 in fuel alone. Another $30 for a better oil and filter is *nothing*, especially if you use a synthetic HDEO that will let you push that change interval out to 7000 or even 9000 miles.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

The 4.0 seems to respond well to slightly heavier grade oils. I am extremely happy with the way mine runs using Rotella T synthetic and a 9k mile OCI. HDEOs seem to do very well in protecting flat tappet cams, even in the newer SM/CJ ratings. I would consider an HDEO for the 5.9 too, especially if its rarely driven. The higher TBN should help you get more than 3k miles out of the oil even with the rarely-driven issues. of course the 5.9 has roller lifters, so pretty much any good quality oil will do well enough in it if you'd rather stick to the short change interval.

I don't really understand switching oils over cost, though. The cost of oil per change interval is negligible compared to other costs. A 4.0 Jeep is going to get around 20 MPG, plus/minus a few, so figure 200 gallons per 4000 mile change interval- that's close to $400 in fuel alone. Another $30 for a better oil and filter is *nothing*, especially if you use a synthetic HDEO that will let you push that change interval out to 7000 or even 9000 miles.

Well I considered the diesel oils but decided against for these reasons:

1.) Stock valve springs are weak and engine is already broken in so I doubt the diesel oil would benefit me as much as if it were a flat-tappet engine being broken in, or a race motor with high-pressure valve springs putting more pressure on the lifters

2.) This is CA emissions WJ and I worry about the additive pkg of the diesel oil causing premature failure of either cats or O2 sensors. I doesn't appear to use any oil until it hits around 4k and that is when I change it, so I know I am not surrently getting enough blow-by for the diesel oil to kill the emissions system, but if I switched to syn Rotella, I'd be extending my OCI beyond 4k and therefore might get enough to hurt?

As for the 5.9 your are correct that it has roller cam from the factory so less concern about lobes wearing down...It has had Mobil-1 every 3-4k and that has done it well since I bought it in used '01. It now sits in the garage and I am gonna just change the oil every 6-8 months regardless of mileage so that is why I switched off the Mobil-1 to dino oil so I do not feel bad draining Mobil-1 with low miles on it. The diesel oil idea is appealing to me for the 5.9, but the reason I went with the Pennzoil dino is due to the fact it is available in a HM formula. This 5.9 uses about a half qt of Mobil-1 between changes and has a few minor oil seepages, so I want a HM oil and also do not want to use a diesel oil in a Jeep that uses a little oil so the cat & O2's are not toasted.

Now that I explained this, can you give more input? Should I still use diesel oil in the 5.9 or even 4.0? I just can't bring myself to go over 4k on an oil change because at the point where it begins to use oil, I like to just change it rather than top-off.

Last edited:
I have a 2000 4.0L Jeep and recently used PP 5W-30 (winter). I plan to use a 50/50 mix of YB and PP 10W-30 for summer. The miles are about 4-5,000 per change recently, mostly highway.

PS- just looking into the oil fill hole, the PP has cleaned the area that is visible to an amazing extent. This engine was mostly run with M1 10W-30 before this change, and had the M1 brown stains that are common for this engine. It has 88,000 on it.

440Magnum said:
Now that I explained this, can you give more input? Should I still use diesel oil in the 5.9 or even 4.0? I just can't bring myself to go over 4k on an oil change because at the point where it begins to use oil, I like to just change it rather than top-off.

I think most of your reasoning is just fine. The only comments I would make are:

Most current HDEOs like Rotella-T synthetic are SM rated, so there's no risk to the catcons or 02 sensors at all. I wouldn't bother with it in the 5.9 since the LA-block v8s are all perfectly happy on 10w30, EXCEPT for the fact that I really like high TBN in a rarely-driven engine that might otherwise accumulate acids in the oil. If you drive it hard and warm it all the way up EVERY time you drive it, that's not so much of an issue.

As others have said, you won't go wrong with a good 10w30 in the 5.9 or the 4.0 either. I personally think 4000 mile OCIs are pretty short- I'd be changing oil 5 times a year at that rate. So the high TBN of an HDEO is also important to me.

440Magnum said:

I think most of your reasoning is just fine. The only comments I would make are:

Most current HDEOs like Rotella-T synthetic are SM rated, so there's no risk to the catcons or 02 sensors at all. I wouldn't bother with it in the 5.9 since the LA-block v8s are all perfectly happy on 10w30, EXCEPT for the fact that I really like high TBN in a rarely-driven engine that might otherwise accumulate acids in the oil. If you drive it hard and warm it all the way up EVERY time you drive it, that's not so much of an issue.

As others have said, you won't go wrong with a good 10w30 in the 5.9 or the 4.0 either. I personally think 4000 mile OCIs are pretty short- I'd be changing oil 5 times a year at that rate. So the high TBN of an HDEO is also important to me.

thanks for the input...I guess the reason why I am switching the 5.9 to Pennzoil HM dino from the Mobil-1 it has enjoyed instead of switching to a diesel oil is because the "HM" factor. It has 178k and I want a HM oil for the good additive pkg & seal conditioners. I suppose if they made a HM diesel oil I might consider it.

IF I did consider a diesel oil though, what is best weight & best choice. I saw a buch at wally-world besides rotella by castrol, valvoline, delo, etc. I know you can get Rotella in 10w30 at some places but not sure about the others...would the 5w40 rotella syn be best or 10w30 rotella dino?

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I like the Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40. That's one heck of an oil for the price.

+1

thanks for the input...I guess the reason why I am switching the 5.9 to Pennzoil HM dino from the Mobil-1 it has enjoyed instead of switching to a diesel oil is because the "HM" factor. It has 178k and I want a HM oil for the good additive pkg & seal conditioners. I suppose if they made a HM diesel oil I might consider it.

Ah, OK. I've never really considered HM oils personally, but that's just me. I kept the wife's Chrysler 3.5 on Mobil 1 through 260,000 miles when we sold it, and my old 318 on M1 through 430,000 miles when I stored it. I keep reading on here that Valvoline MaxLife is a superb HM oil, and my father swears by it in his 240,000+ mile 5.2 Dakota. You might throw it in your consideration along with the Pennzoil and Mobil.

Which reminds me- does your 5.9 consume more oil than you think it should? Bad "pinging" at some times? Certain years of 5.2/5.9 had a problem with a cover plate on the underside of the intake manifold leaking after a few years, which allowed manifold vacuum to pull oil mist into the intake causing high oil consumption. Dad's truck does that and we've just never bothered to fix it, but its a pretty easy fix- relatively speaking. Fuel rails and manifold have to come off.

Here's a link to an applicable TSB- looks like they claim the last "problem" year was '99:

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-27051.html

Ah, OK. I've never really considered HM oils personally, but that's just me. I kept the wife's Chrysler 3.5 on Mobil 1 through 260,000 miles when we sold it, and my old 318 on M1 through 430,000 miles when I stored it. I keep reading on here that Valvoline MaxLife is a superb HM oil, and my father swears by it in his 240,000+ mile 5.2 Dakota. You might throw it in your consideration along with the Pennzoil and Mobil.

Which reminds me- does your 5.9 consume more oil than you think it should? Bad "pinging" at some times? Certain years of 5.2/5.9 had a problem with a cover plate on the underside of the intake manifold leaking after a few years, which allowed manifold vacuum to pull oil mist into the intake causing high oil consumption. Dad's truck does that and we've just never bothered to fix it, but its a pretty easy fix- relatively speaking. Fuel rails and manifold have to come off.

Here's a link to an applicable TSB- looks like they claim the last "problem" year was '99:

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-27051.html

Hey thanks...I was aware of this issue but did not know there was a TSB on it. I had the intake & plenum gaskets replaced by the Jeep dealership in '03 and I think this is what you are referring to excpt I do not know if they used the new valley pan or not, or just installed new gaskets. There is no pinging or anything, it just has always seemed to use more M-1 than I felt it should between changes both before & after the service work was done I mentioned above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back