Which oil and OCI for BMW B46O engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found an article in newTIS.info which I will take to be the authoritative words of BMW, for what that's worth. Here is a link: Enclosure 3 to SI 11 07 96 (138), issue 09/2009; update 07/2016.

It states that the B38 / B46 / B48 (without particulate filter) / B58 and N20 / N26 may use Longlife-01, Longlife-01 FE, and Longlife-14 FE+ oil. Moreover, only these engines may use Longlife-14 FE+ oil. These engines may also use BMW Longlife-04 and BMW Longlife-12 FE, but only in Europe, due to the fuel.

It also states that the B48 (with particulate filter) may only use BMW Longlife-04 and BMW Longlife-12 FE. I guess vehicles with this engine should not be exported outside of Europe, due to the fuel.

Based on the comments in this thread and on the linked document, I will be ordering Longlife-01 FE 0W-30 for the oil service.

Thanks everyone for an enlightening discussion.

Very informative post! I’ll have to bookmark that TIS.

In sum:

HTHS.....H-SAPS......L-SAPS
3.5+.......LL-01...........LL-04
~3.0.......LL-01FE.......LL-12FE
<3.0.......LL-14FE+

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bimmerdriver
I found an article in newTIS.info which I will take to be the authoritative words of BMW, for what that's worth. Here is a link: Enclosure 3 to SI 11 07 96 (138), issue 09/2009; update 07/2016.

It states that the B38 / B46 / B48 (without particulate filter) / B58 and N20 / N26 may use Longlife-01, Longlife-01 FE, and Longlife-14 FE+ oil. Moreover, only these engines may use Longlife-14 FE+ oil. These engines may also use BMW Longlife-04 and BMW Longlife-12 FE, but only in Europe, due to the fuel.

It also states that the B48 (with particulate filter) may only use BMW Longlife-04 and BMW Longlife-12 FE. I guess vehicles with this engine should not be exported outside of Europe, due to the fuel.

Based on the comments in this thread and on the linked document, I will be ordering Longlife-01 FE 0W-30 for the oil service.

Great resource, but many people will still think that BMW is using only 0W20. For example in Europe Castrol does not even offer that oil for BMW including LL-01FE, only LL-04 and LL-01.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46

In sum:

div>

Yeah, I think LL-01FE is 3.1.
Take into consideration that BMW in the US started to use LL-01FE retroactively on N55.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: bimmerdriver

Great resource, but many people will still think that BMW is using only 0W20. For example in Europe Castrol does not even offer that oil for BMW including LL-01FE, only LL-04 and LL-01.

The particulate filter car just started coming out so perhaps Castrol hasn't updated their site. As of late BMW appears to be all over the place with regards to their oil recommendations so maybe Castrol is just holding pat.

In sum:

div>

Take into consideration that BMW in the US started to use LL-01FE retroactively on N55.

Keep in mind that LL01FE has been an option in Europe for over a decade.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl

In sum:

div>

No its not, it is LL04. BMW as well as other manufacturers use Low and MID SAPS oils for over a decade. LL04 is still oil of choice in the EU and Switzerland.
Outside of EU and some countries where gas is of low or questionable quality like in Russia or Ukraine, LL01 is still oil of choice.
Interestingly that in over a decade Castrol never developed LL-01FE. So no they are not using it for over a decade because that would mean that Castrol would be the one who initially developed that oil and they would have it in stock.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl

In sum:

div>

No its not, it is LL04. BMW as well as other manufacturers use Low and MID SAPS oils for over a decade. LL04 is still oil of choice in the EU and Switzerland.
Outside of EU and some countries where gas is of low or questionable quality like in Russia or Ukraine, LL01 is still oil of choice.
Interestingly that in over a decade Castrol never developed LL-01FE. So no they are not using it for over a decade because that would mean that Castrol would be the one who initially developed that oil and they would have it in stock.

I meant to say LL01FE had been available. 01FE was replaced by newer FE certs.

See the link for a list of applicable engines at the time when the N54 was the current I6.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2688085

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back