Which Mobil 1grade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just switched over to Mobil 1 0-30 at 36K miles from Castrol GTX 5-30 (currently have 38K). This is in a 2000 5.3 4X4 Silverado. I was changing out the Castrol at 2K mile intervals (this is before I discovered this forum). I have just about 2K miles on the Mobil 1 0-30 now and noticed that it is burning some. About an 8th inch down from the full mark on the dipstick. It has never burned oil with the Castrol. I plan on going with a 5K interval with the Mobil 1. My question is when I change this oil out should I go to Mobil 1 5-30 or 10-30, or just stick with the 0-30. I drive probably 70% highway, 20% country roads, and the last 10% stop and go. I will be doing some light towing in the summer.

Thanks
cheers.gif

Since you do a lot of highway, If you plan on staying with mobil1, Id say to go with the 10w-30, or 0w-40. There is a lot of talk on this forum about 0w-30 being the thickest viscosity-wise when up to temperature and in the 30-range, but I think for your aplication, the minimal use of viscosity improvers (if mobil 1 does use them they will be the least in 10w-30, and if not, then you start out with a heavier base) is for the best. 0w-40 is good too, IMO, as the 40 weight oil will protect better, and youll get good flow at startup. (you cna find 0w-40 at autozone) Plus, even if viscosity index improvers are used, when the oil thins, youll be at a 30, instead of nearing a 20 wt oil, which is too thin for your engine.

I know running lighter synth oils in my 91 BMW, which is speccced for 15w-40 dino will cause a lot of consumption compared to heavier 15w-50 synthetics or 15w-40 dinos.

JMH

I just switched over to Mobil 1 0-30 at 36K miles from Castrol GTX 5-30 (currently have 38K). This is in a 2000 5.3 4X4 Silverado. I was changing out the Castrol at 2K mile intervals (this is before I discovered this forum). I have just about 2K miles on the Mobil 1 0-30 now and noticed that it is burning some. About an 8th inch down from the full mark on the dipstick. It has never burned oil with the Castrol. I plan on going with a 5K interval with the Mobil 1. My question is when I change this oil out should I go to Mobil 1 5-30 or 10-30, or just stick with the 0-30. I drive probably 70% highway, 20% country roads, and the last 10% stop and go. I will be doing some light towing in the summer.

I agree with JHZ, run a 10w-30 or 5w-30 in summer. Even a 0w-40 would be ok. Mobil's 0w-30 is probably there worst oil in terms of consumption. I just switched from this oil bc I was buring too much of it up. This oil IMO would only be good for a new, tightly built engine. Mobil's VI's just seem to be too volatile. If you want a 0w-30, run Amsoil's. I think it is clearly a better oil.

If you want to stay with the 30 wt.-which is fine I would recommend the 10W-30 (for what its worth). You could also go withthe 40 wt. as was mentioned. There's also the Delvac 5W-40. At 1/8 inch for 2K miles thats 16K miles per quart. Besides- it's easy to be off by 1/8 due to the level of the vehicle. You should to be able to go more than 5K. If you get the bug-do an oil analysis somewhere between 6 and 7 K miles. Sounds like easy miles-you could go at least that distance.
smile.gif

Yeah, delvac 1 is about the best youll find, IMO. Its pricier, get it at caterpillial parts dealers for ~$21/gal... Cant go wrong with that one, and it will serve you very well.

JMH

i dunno, sometimes i think maybe when you switch to a synthetic, consumption increases a little bit, thats what happened with my car, and after a few thousand, (about 6k) consumption halted.

I actually read the dipstick wrong. I added 3/4 of a quart today to bring it it to the full mark. I am burning more than I thought.

I will definately change to a different grade next interval. From what I am reading I am leaning towards Delvac 1 5-40. It is either that or I will go to Mobil 1 10-30.

Any thoughts on that?

I changed over our 99 Saturn to Mobil 1 5-30 at the same time I did the truck and that has not used any oil at all.

[ March 14, 2003, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: nhkid ]

5w30 is the recommended weight for that engine, that is what I use in my 5.3 GMC, check out my UOA I only used 1/2 qt. in 6000 miles on a new engine, I didn't think that was to bad.

quote:

Originally posted by Bartman:
5w30 is the recommended weight for that engine,

I think one of the things to keep in mind with the "recommended" viscosities is that they (GM) need to make assumptions that " Joe Sixpack will own and operate this vehicle" So they must assume if they "recommend" 10W-30 oil- Old Joe will put in 10W-30 (Dino) oil in Alaska (He won't look at the manual to see that 10W-30 will only be recommended above zero degrees F.) I also assume that it says 5W-30 on the cap also.
But you can safely use the 10W-30 Mobil synthetic down to between -15 and -20 degrees F.

So I guess my point is that with a bit of knowledge (such as is available at this board) you can use the oil that will actually provide more protection than the "recommended" oil considering that "one size rarely fits all"

Again I'm not disagreeing with the concept of using 5W-30- just suggesting that there can be other options.
smile.gif

I'm going to run Delvac this summer. After reading the New Zealand Mobil site and realizing that 40wt. oils are perfectly fine for small eninges, Delvac is a great choice. I purchased 2 gallons at ($21.66 a piece) from a local distributor. It's compatible with all other M1 oils, which is a good thing. I would stay far away from there 0w-30 and run the 10w-30 as Al mentioned. My consumption is much better now that I'm running 10w-30.
smile.gif

Been running Mobil 10W-30 in both my Jeep's 4.0's since new...5 years on the Cherokee and two years on the TJ...what I put in,goes out...never notice any oil being used...I'm sure they do but I don't see it on the stick.This the recommended weight (10W-30) above zero, according to the manual.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back