Which jump pack?

I never considered one, in my mind never got stranded due to a dead battery nor need a jump in 30 years. At a bday party around XMAS my uncle's '07 Acura was dead after the party--car did have a parasitic drain from the bluetooth module years ago that was corrected. What a downer/bummer, and my wife's cousin thinking quick (or acting without thinking it through) bought a pair of $10 HFT jumper cables for about $70 at a gas station next door. DOH! Well, it worked, used my wife's SUV which has its battery under the pass seat and jump terminals under the hood.

Today it lost its mpg gal used i.e. the stats which in the past indicated the battery was low. I actually load tested it that weekend when it was 8F and it was just fine. A clue that a battery is not up to snuff, on my digital, tester seems to be higher resistance as the battery ages. This was fine at like 3.4 ohms. But we're going to Maryland next weekend overnight.

Picked this up for $100 and it's only 1000A, but 77k positive reviews and I have their other products. I didn't want to spend it but what the hey....it is packaged well and feels like high quality. Since many of these will never see use, and not many constant use, I wonder....but there are reviews stating never used on their own cars yet helped 3 friends, so that's encouraging :)

I bought a jump pack for the people at work, that always asked me if I had jumper cables and needed a jump.

I always have a set of heavy duty 25' jumper cables, so you can park behind the vehicle and give them a jump.
I would always loan out those.

You can use the cables, but NOT my new vehicle! Find someone else for that. Not risking it, just to help someone else. Too many high dollar electronics in new vehicles. Not likely, but if they have a short, it could cost be bigtime. So I bought a jumper pack and carry both. I'll loan either, just not my new vehicle.

The negativity towards the GB40 gave me pause. Does it work? That popular YouTuber was not able to start anything with it.

Finally gave it a try. I have a car that has been sitting 3.5 years, battery is long out.

Connected the GB40, nothing. Oh, I forgot to press that button to boost.

Started right up. I was a bit taken aback. Truly surprised. I am having the car removed and stated does not run, so they offered $570. Now, I can say it does in fact run.

Just goes to show, so much on YouTube is like Consumer Reports, it's not scientific. I continued to stop, start, 4 more times. Now the car started first try, i.e. no cranking, like when it was still on the road. When I brought the pack in, it was about 50% per the leds.

I was considering switching to Gooloo, the GT4000S. But when I looked at it, it was $129, and now it's $179, so nein danke.

To each his own, this is something we're likely never going to need. But I just had to try it, and see it for myself.

Am I making all of the above up? No, I have no reason to, I'm not trying to sell anything here. Just saw so many vlogs where the GB40 worked, and then the one where it couldn't start anything. So I wanted to see it in action and find out what the truth is.

Last edited:
I bought a jump pack for the people at work, that always asked me if I had jumper cables and needed a jump.

I always have a set of heavy duty 25' jumper cables, so you can park behind the vehicle and give them a jump.
I would always loan out those.

You can use the cables, but NOT my new vehicle! Find someone else for that. Not risking it, just to help someone else. Too many high dollar electronics in new vehicles. Not likely, but if they have a short, it could cost be bigtime. So I bought a jumper pack and carry both. I'll loan either, just not my new vehicle.
hahahahahaha

That was me in 2007. I was in the co. parking lot with my months old 335i, and some random woman said hey, I need a jump! I said oh I can't the battery is in the trunk and kept walking back to the office and never looked back. :ROFLMAO:

Just december I was hesitant with my wife's car but it was my uncle and his bday. Hers too, battery under the rear right pass. feet, so have to use the terminals under the hood. It worked fine, nothing happened, uncle's car started.

The negativity towards the GB40 gave me pause. Does it work? That popular YouTuber was not able to start anything with it.

Finally gave it a try. I have a car that has been sitting 3.5 years, battery is long out.

Connected the GB40, nothing. Oh, I forgot to press that button to boost.

Started right up. I was a bit taken aback.

I’ve had a GB40 for a few years and it’s never let me down. It has enough juice for three to four starts for a 1980s 350 SBC, or at least a dozen starts of a modern vehicle.

I probably should have one of these. I was looking at the Gooloo gp4000 or NOCO alpha 85. Does anyone here have experience with either of these? If you have one what are you using and how well has it worked for you. I have a 4 cylinder Honda, Lexus gx and keep a work van at our home. I was thinking of getting one that can handle a larger vehicle.
the biggest one you can afford.........

On a related note…

Noco jump packs are on sale on Woot today, at least 25 percent off the true regular retail price.

I have no relationship to NoCo or Woot, I’m only sharing a deal that I just got in my email.

We have a Clore JNC 660 and a couple AntiGravity Lithium packs. Daughter has a NOCO BoostX 1250A.

Just ordered a Hompow 3000A for my son, on sale for $55 delivered.

If you got that from amazon I would consider replacing it and get another brand. That NOCO is a very poor pack.

Four years ago, everything has changed.

Last edited:
I have the Audew jump pak and have used it several times on cars and bikes. Works great and has been with me every place i go.

Back