Which is more important? HT/HS or VS@100C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 04SVT
Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Edit: You're PU is the SM one... Here is the SN version: http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140007304054_201207271344.pdf

I was just looking some of those up...
smile.gif

PU 5w-30 = 3.1
ASL 5w-30 = 3.2
AZO 0w-30 = 3.1
HDD 5w-30 = 3.5

Which PU is what they have on the shelf at Walmart? SM or SN? I also don't know what ASL, AZO, or HDD oils are. I looked on the acronym thread.

PU on the shelf is SN.

ASL is Amsoil Sig. Series 5w-30
AZO is Amsoil Sig. Series 0w-30
HDD is Amsoil Heavy Duty Diesel 5w-30, for gas engines as well.

+1
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

This question comes up a lot. I think the above thread should be posted on the BITOG Home page in the Additional Reading column, with the simple title "HTHS viscosity trump's the Kinematic 100C spec'".

Either one is a paper #.
It won't tell you what you need.
HTHS is at 150C, which is a really really high oil temp.
It depends on the engine and conditions as to what is suitable.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Either one is a paper #.
It won't tell you what you need.
HTHS is at 150C, which is a really really high oil temp.
It depends on the engine and conditions as to what is suitable.

Then what motor oil spec' will tell you what you need?

The difference between the kinematic measure and the HTHS viscosity measure is that HTHS methodology closely replicates the conditions similar to those in an operating engine, specifically in the engine bearings. The oil in the bearings will be hotter than the sump oil temp's which is one reason why the viscosity is provided at a much higher than normal temperature.

I personally don't believe there is a single specification that is published that really tells you the performance of an oil in terms of wear protection.

HTHS is definitely going to give you a better picture of how the viscosity performs at operating temperature (as Caterham has pointed out on numerous occasions) as well as the VI for the change in viscosity as temperature changes, but this is only half of the equation.

Until we are able to compare things like the Sequence testing on an oil's spec sheet (which you are NEVER going to see published) we can't evaluate an engine oil on the specs alone. You have to do some real world testing on your own engine and operating conditions.

Oil Company's attitudes are that if it meets the current API category, then that is how you measure if it is a good oil. Unfortunately we are seeing more and more that it isn't necessarily true that an API SN oil is better than an API SM (think QSDefy) in all engines and all conditions. I know that is heresy to some of the decision makers on the API committee and some members here, but the fact is that in order to optimize the engineering efficiency of engines, certain additive chemistry perform better than others in the right set of operating conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back